Kerbal Space Program 2 to be released in 2022 [Discussion Thread]

Arco123

Since KSP is about rocket science, we should use the scientific definition of "theory". I'm afraid none of the posts here qualify as well substantiated enough to be theories. :-) They barely even qualify as hypotheses. More like what I recall from my NASA days we would label as wags. My personal wag is that we'll see KSP2 about when people stop using apostrophes for plurals. :-(

On 3/17/2022 at 1:29 AM, jonescat010 said:

I hope so, id love to see some more gameplay

I also wonder if they will add warp drives to the game  which would be cool if they did but If they don't I wont be sad since the modders can do that 

Believe they said no warp drives.

I would firmly discount anytime during spring. Unless we're getting a 11th hour release date announcement days before its launch, its unlikely it will come out so early. I'd expect that the release date will probably be revealed during PAX East in April. I'd guess that at the earliest, we'll be getting it in August.

I don't know a lot about software development in general and PC games in particular, but I do know a lot about large corporations and especially marketing. And with that I don't mean the naive preconceptions of "the only reason the suits and beancounters got KSP is so that they can destroy it" or "marketing is silly idiots who don't know what they are talking about" but actual inner workings.

So, press releases are never written by an intern and tweeted out on a Saturday night at a bar, except maybe at the occasional real estate company. Things are usually vetted five times over and going up and down the corporate ladder a few times, ensuring that:

• Only promises are made that, while maybe optimistic, have at least the potential of being fullfilled
  • While some companies do prefer "under-promise and over-deliver," most are also under the gun by impatient shareholders so you don't want to be overly cautious or conservative with your estimates.

Given that the most recent official word is “fiscal 2023” (April 2022—March 2023) and that this is not some careless or vague claim I think it's safe to say that:

• If a firm 2022 release date was planned, they would have said simply that. "Summer 2022" or maybe even just "2022" but they didn't
  • If they're unsure about when the release in 2023 is, they would have said "2023" but they didn't
  • In that sense, "Fiscal 2023" tells me that it's likely November 2022—January 2023 with like 6 weeks of slack built in, in case the project slips.

I just don't see why else you'd word it like that, especially when other games in their press release had "firmer" descriptions.

Edited by Kerbart

8 hours ago, BigStar Aerospace said:

They should release it on November 17th, cause that is my anniversary of not having died yet.

My very best wishes to you if that date has a particular significance for you...

But Isn't EVERY day the anniversary of us not having passed away however many yeas ago?

5 hours ago, BigStar Aerospace said:

Well, I like to celebrate the anniversary of my first second of not dying, and the day that follows through until the middle of the night specifically.

Ahh.  So it's your birthday then? :D

And not marking some scary diagnosis or similar?

2 hours ago, BigStar Aerospace said:

Hehe, no diagnosis, just my birthday, I mean, my anniversary of not dying.

Anti-death anniversary

Imma call my birthdays that.

Alright, i did a random date generator between April 1st and December 31st. And i made it only pick FRIDAYs.

Here's the release date, predicted/leaked by a bot.

8-12-2022

Edited by siklidkid

These are also all possible dates:

Possible Release Dates
Mondays Tuesdays Wednesdays Thursdays Fridays Saturdays Sundays
Monday, April 11, 2022 Tuesday, May 10, 2022 Wednesday, March 30, 2022 Thursday, March 24, 2022 Friday, July 29, 2022 Saturday, April 9, 2022 Sunday, June 12, 2022
Monday, July 25, 2022 Tuesday, September 13, 2022 Wednesday, May 4, 2022 Thursday, May 5, 2022 Friday, August 5, 2022 Saturday, October 22, 2022 Sunday, August 7, 2022
Monday, August 8, 2022 Tuesday, November 8, 2022 Wednesday, August 17, 2022 Thursday, August 4, 2022 Friday, August 12, 2022 Saturday, October 29, 2022 Sunday, September 25, 2022
Monday, August 29, 2022 Tuesday, November 29, 2022 Wednesday, September 14, 2022 Thursday, September 8, 2022 Friday, October 28, 2022 Saturday, November 5, 2022 Sunday, October 9, 2022
Monday, December 26, 2022 Tuesday, December 13, 2022 Wednesday, December 14, 2022 Thursday, December 15, 2022 Friday, November 18, 2022 Saturday, December 24, 2022 Sunday, December 25, 2022

This took too much time and unneeded dedication.

Now find the mean date, and you have your answer.

13 hours ago, BigStar Aerospace said:

Is that month day year or day month year?

month day year

the generator did 2022-8-12 so i changed it people could understand it