KSP Loading... Preview: Moar RCS!

St4rdust

On 11/6/2020 at 11:05 PM, GrandProtectorDark said:

tbh, I don't really see the need for tinier RCS. Reaction wheels are already good enough at that size.

I'll have to disagree. I've played a bunch with restock, which has equivalent sized RCS thrusters. I found myself using them as main thrusters for tiny comsats, where tiny thrust is a desirable feature for accurate orbital insertions. I also found them more than adequate for smaller 2.5m craft as well. Sure I could have docked them without RCS, but it,s so much more convenient, and realistic for that matter with RCS. It's also convenient for fine orbital adjustments. The light weight and low thrust make them very suitable for such applications, not to mention more realistic than for instance very short low thrust burns with the main engines. Needless to say I welcome this addition to the base game. That said, there certainly is a place in this game for more vernor-sized or bigger thrusters for RCS use as well.

I hope they also ad some smaller RCS tanks suitable for very small comsats as well. I find my comsats often only need a couple hundred m/s DeltaV after detaching from the "mothership" in order to spread out into their respective orbits.

On 11/6/2020 at 11:05 PM, GrandProtectorDark said:

tbh, I don't really see the need for tinier RCS. Reaction wheels are already good enough at that size.

I'll have to disagree. I've played a bunch with restock, which has equivalent sized RCS thrusters. I found myself using them as main thrusters for tiny comsats, where tiny thrust is a desirable feature for accurate orbital insertions. I also found them more than adequate for smaller 2.5m craft as well. Sure I could have docked them without RCS, but it,s so much more convenient, and realistic for that matter with RCS. It's also convenient for fine orbital adjustments. The light weight and low thrust make them very suitable for such applications, not to mention more realistic than for instance very short low thrust burns with the main engines. Needless to say I welcome this addition to the base game. That said, there certainly is a place in this game for more vernor-sized or bigger thrusters for RCS use as well.

I hope they also ad some smaller RCS tanks suitable for very small comsats as well. I find my comsats often only need a couple hundred m/s DeltaV after detaching from the "mothership" in order to spread out into their respective orbits.

10 minutes ago, neistridlar said:

There is actually a tiny radial monopropellant tank in the Making History DLC, but considering we've now got tiny RCS they really should be in the base game too.

(also, it seems like your post duplicated itself)

1 hour ago, RealKerbal3x said:

There is actually a tiny radial monopropellant tank in the Making History DLC, but considering we've now got tiny RCS they really should be in the base game too.

(also, it seems like your post duplicated itself)

I know about it, and it is my go to tank for this, but I rarely fill it more than half full :confused:

1 minute ago, Mikenike said:

Next KSP Loading is going to be Moar Cockpits 5m and 10m.  

The only one I want is a 3,75m capsule similar to Orion with capacity for 7 or so Kerbals so I can make a properly scaled stock SLS.

This is terrific!  My favorite way to play KSP is with reaction wheels nerfed or turned off (easily done in PAW or MandatoryRCS) as it feels a lot richer and more lifelike.  These smaller thrusters will be most welcome.

There was a comment about the lack of 45-degree thrusters; at least with these you can build them yourself with fewer parts

And I'll pile on that it would be great to expand the Vernor line in a similar fashion

7 hours ago, T1mo98 said:

The only one I want is a 3,75m capsule similar to Orion with capacity for 7 or so Kerbals so I can make a properly scaled stock SLS.

Given that the existing SLS parts in-game are hilariously  under-scaled already.  You'd need far more than a 3.75m to make a properly scaled SLS (Ignoring that a proper orion would fit into the 3.125m size class)

8 hours ago, neistridlar said:

I've played a bunch with restock, which has equivalent sized RCS thrusters. I found myself using them as main thrusters for tiny comsats, where tiny thrust is a desirable feature for accurate orbital insertions.

I mean, Yea sure I understand that, but int that situation, an ant or a spider can make do sorta.
And mods are a good substitute anyway
Meanwhile there isn't really anything for giant crafts, other than spamming reaction wheels and the single LFO rcs that there is.

7 hours ago, Mikenike said:

Next KSP Loading is going to be Moar Cockpits 5m and 10m.  

Easy there, Shouldn't get ahead of ourselfs. There isn't even a 7.5m size class yet and few current mods even touch 10m.

4 hours ago, GrandProtectorDark said:

There isn't even a 7.5m size class yet and few current mods even touch 10m.

True, yet it would make sense, as we have a 10m heat shield. I could see 10m becoming a thing in KSP2 though, more likely than not.

2 hours ago, majNUN said:

I would love to see an RCS 45 degree variant (like in the RLA Reborn mod) to put on my crafts away from doors and ladders.

I believe the variants feature is better for that. 
5 parts for 1-2-3-4-5 nozzles, and variants switch directions. 

Edited by flart

57 minutes ago, flart said:

I believe the variants feature is better for that. 
5 parts for 1-2-3-4-5 nozzles, and variants switch directions. 

That would be a lot of extra parts in the part list though.

Instead of 2 with 1 straight and 1 45 degrees with the variants being different nozzle counts, you'd have 10 parts with just 2 variants. 

It would make the parts list extremely crowded with two dozen very similar looking small parts when you also include the smaller size.

4 hours ago, T1mo98 said:

Instead of 2 with 1 straight and 1 45 degrees with the variants being different nozzle counts, you'd have 10 parts with just 2 variants. 

Switchable nozzle count is ... too procedural, and that is not how the game is built.
Variants are color/texture variants or some model variations ( "in-a-box" RCS or "naked" RCS), but a variant that change 2 directional RCS into 5 directional RCS is like a variant that change the Reliant into the Swivel.

Imagine adding 4 color variants and 2 models variants to the 4 nozzles-count variants — 4x4x2 = 32 variants total. 

Also there are some other than typical straight and typical 45° setups, I remember a mod, where in the 3-4 directional RCS, prograde /retrograde have 2 nozzles each -||- , what is also convenient and could be a variant.

7 minutes ago, flart said:

Switchable nozzle count is ... too procedural, and that is not how the game is built.
Variants are color/texture variants or some model variations ( "in-a-box" RCS or "naked" RCS), but a variant that change 2 directional RCS into 5 directional RCS is like a variant that change the Reliant into the Swivel.

Imagine adding 4 color variants and 2 models variants to the 4 nozzles-count variants — 4x4x2 = 32 variants total. 

Also there are some other than typical straight and typical 45° setups, I remember a mod, where in the 3-4 directional RCS, prograde /retrograde have 2 nozzles each -||- , what is also convenient and could be a variant.

Yeah, I get that, but adding all those different models is going to make a mess of the part list. 

I'm not looking forward to having a dozen extremely similar looking, small thumbnails filling up that tab; it's one of the reasons I dislike using mods that add more RCS options, it becomes far too crowded.

5 minutes ago, T1mo98 said:

Yeah, I get that, but adding all those different models is going to make a mess of the part list. 

I'm not looking forward to having a dozen extremely similar looking, small thumbnails filling up that tab; it's one of the reasons I dislike using mods that add more RCS options, it becomes far too crowded.

They could put more models/variants in each thumbnail, and i suppose/hope thats what they will do?

Edited by Boyster

On 11/10/2020 at 8:07 PM, flart said:

I disagree, I like this feature. They already have variable length structural tubes that have different masses. This reduces clutter of the parts list, or reduces part count (since you could always just use the single RCS ports to make any combination).

I'm all for part variants having some functional distinctions

On 11/10/2020 at 12:07 PM, flart said:

Switchable nozzle count is ... too procedural, 

You are swapping between a finite and predetermined set of RCS configurations. That's not procedural. It's just consolidating what would be several independent parts in the parts list to a single entry to reduce clutter.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.