Finally Peeled that Gold Foil Off the Windows

6 hours ago, Nate Simpson said:

Do I see interior hatches? The rear cockpit seems to have them fore and aft.

Do the other parts with habitation get interiors, or is it just cockpits because of the IVA piloting need anyway? It would sure be nifty to move a kerbal about inside a colony/colony ship...

3 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

These graphics do look nice. They seem to exceed the latest version of ksp + visual enhancement mods, so, nice work.

Would love to see them consider DXR support with the extra time they've given themselves. Maybe a basic API that modders can build on even?

22 minutes ago, OvinandRusk said:

@Nate Simpson are the customization options just for the spacesuits and vehicles? or can we customize our bases to

Yes

On 10/15/2020 at 7:12 PM, Nate Simpson said:

3D Artist Jonathan Cooper set up a test scene to review some of his colony parts, as well as to play with some team color and lighting variations. Coop spends a lot of time obsessing over detail and consistency, and I love how it's paying off as the modules are used in combination.

The two structures immediately behind the Kerbals are Xenon fuel factories. I have no idea why you'd want two of these. These Kerbals must be really excited about tiny space probes.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

I'm loving the screenshots! Regular updates will quell any speculation of a rocky development cycle, as well as calming frustration over repeated delays.  Cheers and I hope to hear from you all soon! 

Edited by SkyHook

On 11/6/2020 at 2:38 PM, Nate Simpson said:

Maybe one more little treat. Artist Sung Campbell was messing around with terrain the other day and took this lovely test shot:

image (1) (1).png

Have a great weekend, everybody!

Wow... ... That... That's in-game terrain for real ?   I mean this isn't a joke or anything ??
Because this will make exploring planets/moons an absolute bliss.  Roving around will be so damn good. O_O

Well worth the 2022 delay.  
Now I can imagine what DUNA is going to look like... And maybe a Titan equivalent. *drooooools*

Yeah, at first i looked at the picture like "Oh cool, so they used this photo as a reference", because my eyes got caught by the video.

Then i read the text.

This is beautiful, but i already smell the burned computer parts that will have to render everything. It is way too early to ask for minimum perfs, i know, but i feel like i will have to get a new computer for 2022. xD

Edited by Kryfulli

14 hours ago, Francois424 said:

Wow... ... That... That's in-game terrain for real ?   I mean this isn't a joke or anything ??

I mean, this has become sort of industry standard over the past years. A lot of the R&D has been done by Witcher 3 and Horizon Zero Dawn teams, both of whom have done industry talks on how they addressed vegetation. And there have been additional improvements and refinements in various games that came out since. And while the context has usually been filling large, but ultimately, still bounded maps, the HZD approach does scale rather well to planet-wide vegetation with some modifications. And we have actually seen something like this in action. Microsoft Flight Simulator managed to fill the planet with procedural vegetation, including entire jungles.

Now, I'm not saying that Intercept has to keep up with MSFS, because seriously different budgets, but the basics have been well researched and openly shared, so it's not that hard to replicate, and I would honestly be disappointed if there was no procedural vegetation. And looking at the screenshot, the approach they used for grassland does scale to forests, so I hope we'll see some demonstrations of these soon. There is a bit of a question of whether the hardware can handle rendering the forests, but I have seen implementations that are reasonable (usually, using SpeedTree middleware), so I hope they go for it at least as an option for next gen consoles and high-end PCs.

Either way, I'm glad Intercept is on top of this. It's not revolutionary on the industry scale, but it's a huge change to the feel of KSP, and I suppose, wasn't a given that they'd spend effort against it.

Honestly, if they do something about quality of textures of terrain (Seriously, virtual textures! FarCry4 talks for examples.) get modern atmospherics for sky, clouds, and weather (RDR2 team did talks.) and push this procedural generation a bit further, they should have absolutely beautiful worlds that look great up close, but also don't break rendering budgets when flying high over the terrain, or even looking at surface from orbit. It looks like Intercept is on track for that. At least, so long as current atmo rendering is a place-holder, which I really hope it is. Coding Adventure actually has a great video on atmosphere rendering which is based off the same work that RDR2 team pushed off from. Bonus, it's in Unity, so what you see there is very reasonable for KSP2.

P.S. I totally get that these things take time. I don't mean to imply that the fact that we don't see some of these features yet is any kind of a bad indicator. It is still pretty early in development, after all, and the Intercept is working with fairly small team, so I expect these features to come in one at a time, and not all at once. Just sharing my expectations based on industry experience.

Edited by K^2

3 hours ago, K^2 said:

I mean, this has become sort of industry standard over the past years. A lot of the R&D has been done by Witcher 3 and Horizon Zero Dawn teams, both of whom have done industry talks on how they addressed vegetation. And there have been additional improvements and refinements in various games that came out since. And while the context has usually been filling large, but ultimately, still bounded maps, the HZD approach does scale rather well to planet-wide vegetation with some modifications. And we have actually seen something like this in action. Microsoft Flight Simulator managed to fill the planet with procedural vegetation, including entire jungles.

Now, I'm not saying that Intercept has to keep up with MSFS, because seriously different budgets, but the basics have been well researched and openly shared, so it's not that hard to replicate, and I would honestly be disappointed if there was no procedural vegetation. And looking at the screenshot, the approach they used for grassland does scale to forests, so I hope we'll see some demonstrations of these soon. There is a bit of a question of whether the hardware can handle rendering the forests, but I have seen implementations that are reasonable (usually, using SpeedTree middleware), so I hope they go for it at least as an option for next gen consoles and high-end PCs.

Either way, I'm glad Intercept is on top of this. It's not revolutionary on the industry scale, but it's a huge change to the feel of KSP, and I suppose, wasn't a given that they'd spend effort against it.

Honestly, if they do something about quality of textures of terrain (Seriously, virtual textures! FarCry4 talks for examples.) get modern atmospherics for sky, clouds, and weather (RDR2 team did talks.) and push this procedural generation a bit further, they should have absolutely beautiful worlds that look great up close, but also don't break rendering budgets when flying high over the terrain, or even looking at surface from orbit. It looks like Intercept is on track for that. At least, so long as current atmo rendering is a place-holder, which I really hope it is. Coding Adventure actually has a great video on atmosphere rendering which is based off the same work that RDR2 team pushed off from. Bonus, it's in Unity, so what you see there is very reasonable for KSP2.

P.S. I totally get that these things take time. I don't mean to imply that the fact that we don't see some of these features yet is any kind of a bad indicator. It is still pretty early in development, after all, and the Intercept is working with fairly small team, so I expect these features to come in one at a time, and not all at once. Just sharing my expectations based on industry experience.

Games that I've an interest in have been extremely slim pickings for me since 2011, so I've been playing old retro titles. I am not into shooters for example.
That's why it's blowing me away.  Also a lot of indi titles dont have that kind of graphics either. 
Anyways, this is a good thing =)

Edited by Francois424

11 hours ago, K^2 said:

I would also say it looks a lot like how Arma 3 handles grass

Agree, industry standard now. Still its a very nice improvement. I had thought about suggesting stuff like this before, but I wonder if its worth the effort, since I don't expect any other planet to have vegetation. I wonder how this system can be used on "dead" worlds to add more fine detail.

On 11/6/2020 at 6:39 PM, TLTay said:

Do I see interior hatches? The rear cockpit seems to have them fore and aft.

Do the other parts with habitation get interiors, or is it just cockpits because of the IVA piloting need anyway? It would sure be nifty to move a kerbal about inside a colony/colony ship...

The IVA for the Mk1 inline cockpit also currently has fore and aft hatches, for what it's worth.

That terrain certainly is a step up, and while I've said this before, I really like the new Mk1 (uh, pointed) cockpit. It brings back the "higher, faster, better" feel the old one had without the geometry problems with the window. And this just shows off how much better positioned that window is!