Need help with getting 1.9.x and beyond's orbits to work like 1.7.3 and before.

Borv413

Ok, So I just got started in a new 1.9.1 modded save after mostly staying in version 1.7.3 pretty much since 1.7.3 was released. When I was planning a maneuver node to transfer to another body, the patched conics were showing encounters several orbits in the future. This is the reason why I don't play versions past at most 1.8.1. In my opinion, it makes KSP unplayable for all Intents and Purposes. I hugely prefer for the orbital predictions to show what happens on the first and only the first orbit. I have done many, many, gravity assists in versions 1.8.1 and before, and how the game predicts orbits is perfect for what I want to do. For me It makes the best sense to me. I have no clue why SQUAD did away with this feature.

So, does anyone know how to make 1.9+ orbits work like 1.8.1( preferably 1.7.3) and before?

Also this is my first real thread

Edited by Borv413

Can you show an example of what you're referring to? I don't think anything like that was changed since the 1.7.3 version.

Edited by HebaruSan

Note the times

JLGAV36.png

Predicted Craft AP

UQk2PjE.png

Predicted craft Pe

wvIsYyt.png

predicted craft encounter.

I cropped out everything else/

Also this is not the install that i was having problems on, It would take like 30mins to boot up the install that I had problems on. But it is on a version after 1.9.

So, recently, I just started playing in 1.9.1 after playing in 1.7.3 since it released, and For some reason the map screen shows encounters even after after the current orbit. this makes it ultimately unplayable for me. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Something definitely changed in 1.9: the changelog says they messed around with time warping and a pretty nasty trajectory bug (engaging timewarp rounds something down in the orbital calculations, causing just enough of the craft's current orbital energy to vanish into the ether to make precise interplanetary encounters impossible due to the closest approach changing every single time timewarp is turned on and with enough timewarp on/off toggling miss the target body's SOI entirely) appeared around the same version as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if an undocumented change, possibly performance-oriented, messed things up.

So yes, something is definitely wrong with the orbits in the game. Haven't seen this particular issue you're pointing at, though, as my patched conic setting is too low for it.

Edited by Fraktal

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.