The Ultimate speed of an aircraft

J O N

@linuxgurugamer oh! brilliant design! I'm still confused as to how air intakes work :huh: but I see you have made good use of them :D!

10 hours ago, Keithv708 said:

@J O N can we use parts from mk2 expansion be used to it is a stock alike mod.

If not that's ok

aslong as it is no drastic change from stock parts I see no problem (so yes you may).

Edited by J O N

2 hours ago, J O N said:

@linuxgurugamer oh! brilliant design! I'm still confused as to how air intakes work :huh: but I see you have made good use of them :D!

It has both ram intakes and precoolers.  The ram intakes have the highest temperature tolerances in the game.  Also, KSP doesn't require that they be paired, as long as there is enough air in all the intakes, it's happy

2 hours ago, J O N said:

Different intakes have different operating ranges and capacities. Different sizes and shapes have differing intake area which allows more or less air per second. The faster you're going, the more air you can draw in, but depending on their type, some will draw less air instead. The thicker the atmosphere, the more air you draw in despite the type. The thinner the atmosphere, the less you draw in.

You will very often see these two intakes on SSTO spaceplanes or hypersonic airliners:

• Shock Cone: It's pointy (good for aero/drag). It's great at heat tolerance so it's often the front-most part. It's a shock or ram type intake so it's less likely to draw less air because you're going faster.
  • Engine Precooler: An inline intake. It has great passive ability to conduct and disperse heat produced by an engine directly attached to it. As a turbine type intake it has amazing ability to draw in air so it can feed many engines or feed engines that really guzzle air, but it also becomes very poor at high speed. It also holds the most IntakeAir in it which helps engines to not flameout as easily in thin atmosphere.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.