My first ever SSTO!

16 hours ago, Apocalyptapig said:

https://kerbalx.com/Apocalyptapig/Primulus-SSTO
I've been trying to make SSTOs for AGES, and today I finally made one, tested it out, and managed to get to orbit and back with fuel to spare! I'm so excited :D :D :D 

Yay, that's some accomplishment! Congrats - but now you must post screenshots of your craft! :D

6 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

You should be excited. This is still the hardest part of the game for me. I've been playing for 7 years and have still only made 4 SSTOs that wok. 

Yes, this... ^^^^ I have made small SSTO craft; nothing big or fancy. The best SSTO I made can only carry a crew of 3 and 8 passengers. So, other than crew rotations to an orbiting space vehicle or station, mine are totally useless. :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Plane-based SSTOs are difficult. I have been playing this game since I found 0.18.3 Demo on Softonic seven years ago, and I have only managed to create my first SSTOs this week.

You may also wish to consider creating rocket-based SSTOs. For instance, combine a single Mammoth engine with an appropriate number of Kerbodyne S3 tanks of any length. You will get SSTOs that could lift fairly large payloads into orbit. A challenge that I have set for myself in stock or stock-sized KSP is to get all payloads into orbit with a single stage.

Edited by Matuchkin

On 11/8/2020 at 8:59 PM, Apocalyptapig said:

https://kerbalx.com/Apocalyptapig/Primulus-SSTO
I've been trying to make SSTOs for AGES, and today I finally made one, tested it out, and managed to get to orbit and back with fuel to spare! I'm so excited :D :D :D 

Congratulations! I tried to overachieve once I got into LKO with my first SSTO, so I tried taking it to Minmus.  "Tried" is the key word here. I crash landed it, and Jeb was stranded on Minmus until I sent a rescue mission. :D 

On 11/9/2020 at 7:37 PM, Vanamonde said:

I've been playing for 7 years and have still only made 4 SSTOs that wok.

I'm impressed and disappointed at the same time.

Impressed that you got them to cook for you.

Disappointed that this has been up for almost an entire month and no one else reacted to it. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.