[1.12.4] Kerbin Side Remastered GAP - Flight contract pack [v2.1.7] [2022-12-19]

Caerfinon

@Caerfinon one little piece of feedback on the new "lets start an airline" contract. Once you've reached the test zone and target altitude, a waypoint for KSC runway is generated but is then removed as you near the KSC, when the you are cleared for landing dialog pops up. Because of this I initially failed to realize the contracts requirement to stop on the actual runway before taxiing to the terminal location. It was easily fixed, i just turned my engines on and rolled back to the runway. If I might suggest, however, changing this so that runway marker doesn't disappear until you land at the runway and come to a complete stop. It might help prevent confusion by standing out as a marker that, hey there is a necessary step right here, don't forget this.

tV2O3ER.jpg

3 minutes ago, vardicd said:

If I might suggest, however, changing this so that runway marker doesn't disappear until you land at the runway and come to a complete stop.

Actually that is an older piece of code. In the rest of the flights there is no "requirement" to stop on the runway. The requirement is to land, taxi to the terminal and then stop. Allows pilots to stop if they want to or just roll to the terminal and stop. The rational about switching when the ATC dialog pops is that you are within 19kms of the runway so you have a visual on where your going already and if you are using the supported navigation mods then they provide even more of a guide to your inbound flight.

So I'll probably just remove the first "and come to a stop" check from that mission.

I will say I'm loving the fact that this mod/contract pack is constantly pushing me to design newer, better long range craft, especially coupled the Kiwi tech tree, and with my extreme slow pace of tech unlock with my KCT settings, I can only research 1 tech node at a time, and an 80 science node takes almost a full Kerbin year to unlock, and that's with 10 upgrade points into my R+D level. I have to spend funds or research to gain upgrade points, no getting them from unlocking nodes. I'm keeping a catalogue of all the craft I've built, and even given them all some kind of manufacturer and backstory. 

@Caerfinon The island airfield terminal marker in mission TKA flight 1000 KSC to island airfield seems to spawn a good 20-30 M below the terrain level of the runway, and since you have to get within 50 M of it, Its actually easy to get your plane stuck against the buildings if you don't have the ability to reverse your engines, and you're really unlucky to have a wide turning radius. My first go at it, I got stuck against one of the hangars because of it. Had to redo, since I didn't have the turning rate to clear the building and couldn't back up. 

Not trying to be annoying with the feedback, honest, just offering my observations. 

Edited by vardicd

Current Status:

• Issue #29  V2 - Island Airport Terminal Marker appears below terrain
    • Island airport is not a KK base so the runway is actually 130 meters above the underlying  terrain. Altitude settings have been added to all way-point terminals and while most are still set to zero, the Island is set to 130 to correct this issue in the Group.cfg file.
  • Issue #30 - V2 - KSC runway marker disappears in "lets start an airline" but a stop is required on landing
    • Stop on runway check removed. Flight only requires a stop at the terminal location now.

• Updated files are available currently on GitHub and will be available in next scheduled release

I've created a Hanger on KerbalX for all the planes I've used, modified or built for mission in this contract pack.  Link is also available in OP

If you have recommendations let me know and I'll try them out. I'm looking for Stock, DLC and Airplane Plus parts only. 

53 minutes ago, vardicd said:

can not get a stable helicopter built for the navy certification to save my life.

I threw this one together using Airplane Plus - https://kerbalx.com/Caerfinon/H1-Rescue

It helps to use these two mods while flying. Also any VTOL aircraft will meet the criteria for the mission,

Edited by Caerfinon

31 minutes ago, Caerfinon said:

Also any VTOL aircraft will meet the criteria for the mission,

I say helicopter, but I mean any VTOL craft really, I don't understand how to build something that doesn't get wildly unstable as fuel is consumed, that or they get this weird roll to them so they roll over then plow themselves into the ground. I used to have problems with planes, couldn't make them fly at all, until I found one of Scott Manley's videos on how to make them in KSP, and the way he explained stuff finally flipped the switch in my brain and I could finally process it. I'm autistic, and sometimes have trouble learning things, if the information isn't presented just so, and I've not found a video or explanation that's clicked in my head like that for helicopters or VTOLs. 

2 hours ago, vardicd said:

trouble learning things, if the information isn't presented just so

I never used to make airplanes in KSP I could never figure it out and stayed almost 100% of the time with rockets. Then I saw some decent build videos as well and now I'm hooked.

If you CTL-ALT-F12 you can force the Navy-1 to complete which will let you do the rest of the navy missions (which can all be completed with seaplanes).  

If you want to pursue  getting VTOLs to work then the  Throttle Controlled Avionics mod is really good at balancing out engines and controlling hovering and such.

in other news....

Current Status:

• This was the bug that came back from the dead. There were some issues with the last fix that introduces some unexpected problems. Fixing these required a design change that I finally got sorted today. The current fix now does show the Terminal Marker in a more "above ground" way for all island flights and gives the flexibility to adjust way-point locations for all airports if required.

The new code is on GitHub and will be in the next scheduled release.

Edited by Caerfinon

9 hours ago, Caerfinon said:

If you CTL-ALT-F12 you can force the Navy-1 to complete which will let you do the rest of the navy missions (which can all be completed with seaplanes).  

If you want to pursue  getting VTOLs to work then the  Throttle Controlled Avionics mod is really good at balancing out engines and controlling hovering and such.

Yeah I know I can cheat it, and I've done so with other contracts, but only as a last resort, or for things I actually did but the contract didn't complete, like I did a mission but it wasn't a new vessel so it didn't count. I want to keep trying and make this work. I've grabbed TCA to add to my install. will see if that helps.

Current status:

• The way-point generator behaviour continues to misbehave when I supply a variable to altitude. This is proving to provide inconsistent results across the flight missions. So this code is being rolled back.
    • A workaround to the issue of the island marker terrain is to increase the distance parameter setting from 50 meters to 100 meters for terminals. The marker will still look oddly underground, but you should be able to satisfy the requirement.

16 hours ago, Caerfinon said:

I threw this one together using Airplane Plus - https://kerbalx.com/Caerfinon/H1-Rescue

So I tried downloading and using this, but it's throwing all sorts of missing module errors and won't load, including, CN constellation antenna module, RCS landing aid module, module motion detector, USI_Module reyclceable part, and others. List was quite long. I don't even know what mods some of these modules come from.

Ipxr55b.jpg

3 minutes ago, vardicd said:

I don't even know what mods some of these modules come from

Sorry that must have come from my colony game save. 

The parts are modifications used by non-part mods that change the behaviour of the command module ( like Commnet relay functions, and recycling part etc. )

You should be able to clear them by either just saving the craft, or replacing the command pod with the same version from your game and then saving the craft.

Need to build my planes in an non-modded game.

18 minutes ago, Caerfinon said:

You should be able to clear them by either just saving the craft, or replacing the command pod with the same version from your game and then saving the craft.

I can't even load it into the editor to remove or add parts. it just plain says unable to load and leaves me looking at an empty hangar.

Just now, Caerfinon said:

@vardicd  Do you have Airplane Plus installed? That mod is required for the helicopter parts and it won't load with out them. 

yep I have that. Been trying to make a helicopter out of those parts for a while now. got one that will stay in the air, and is mostly stable. Has a small problem of a persistant slow roll to the left, and a constant slow pitch up, which I can't figure out how to stop.

59 minutes ago, vardicd said:

Been trying to make a helicopter out of those parts for a while now

I uploaded a really basic helicopter to google drive H0 - helicopter.zip it was built in 1.10 KSP with only airplane plus installed. See if that one works for you. (I couln't load my rescue version because it won't load in 1.10 :( )

I like using the  dual rotor engine as i find it is much more stable that a main and tail rotor configuration. The blades needs to be as close to CoM for lift as possible. Too much weight in any direction from center drags the craft in that direction too.  

I throw on SAS and use WASDQE to pitch roll and turn. Throttle up slow

For more precise control I use Vertical Velocity Controller Redux and Horizontal Landing Aid Redux to stabalize flight

For pitch and banking control I add Kramax Autopilot Continued  

37 minutes ago, Caerfinon said:

I uploaded a really basic helicopter to google drive H0 - helicopter.zip it was built in 1.10 KSP with only airplane plus installed. See if that one works for you. (I couln't load my rescue version because it won't load in 1.10 :( )  

I'll check it out later, but for now, I've managed a rough basic helicopter of my own. Mechjeb is able to control the slight roll and pitch issues, and vertical velocity controller I can keep it in the air and stop it from crashing, so I'm making progress. Needs more energy production though. 

bCKoigq.jpg

Hey, @Caerfinon Just because I know you use airplane plus, have you ever tried attaching anything to the size 1 100KE Auxillary power engine? I thought it'd make a nice tail section for my helicopter, as it's generally tail shaped and produces electricity, which my helicopter needed, but I have found that attaching parts to it, saving the craft, and leaving the editor, ie launching, or coming back in and reloading the craft, ends up placing those parts to the far right front of the craft, magically attached by invisible... something? I'm just wondering if you can reproduce, or if it's just on my end, or what>?

8kOSOjK.jpg

XwXPBD9.jpg

sM4ocaz.jpg