[1.12.4] Kerbin Side Remastered GAP - Flight contract pack [v2.1.7] [2022-12-19]

Caerfinon

I threw together a range map to help my Un-Kerbaled Start playthrough. It's not perfect. Because of the projection, the "outer" range circles (750 and 1000 km in particular) should be more square-ish, but it's a good approximation to quickly estimate whether a given aircraft has the necessary range to get somewhere. What would be best would be to find a program that would draw an azimuthal projection using the Kerbin map, that way you could do the calculation for any location. So far, all I've been able to find are azimuthal generators for Earth.

KerbinSide GAP Ranges

17 minutes ago, CaptKordite said:

It's not perfect.

It's pretty darn good!

The only other useful projection I could find is one from the ScanSat mod that allows you to use a Kavrayskiy VII projection of Kerbin.

rWmQlGx.png

Side Projects: JNSQ-KSRGAP

• C. Yeager Airport mapped out and flights tested
  • CMcAuliffe Airport mapped out and flights tested
  • Darude Airport mapped out and flights tested
  • Data collection for all sites with runways complete.
    • Now to code the data into the flight contracts. :targetpro:

13 minutes ago, Coyote21 said:

If only you had willing beta version participants that could help you playtest ........

Patience young Jedi.  Likely Thursday before everything is stable enough to release into the wild. ;p

Side Projects: JNSQ-KSRGAP   @Beetlecat @theonegalen @Coyote21

a3I4TIp.pngA324ImH.png

VERY excited to try this out -- I'm guessing tomorrow or Friday at the soonest, but for sure this weekend I'll have some flying-around-time available. I appreciate all the effort and attention you're putting into this very specific KSP niche. It's totally great.

Edited by Beetlecat

3 minutes ago, Caerfinon said:

You might need a map... Just sayin'

llFDACv.png

Niiiiiiiice. :D

I was just thinking about searching for a flap map like this. Wasn't someone asking about a grid overlay for the stock Kerbin map, to estimate range circles? I guess they'd be weird ovals in this projection... :D

On 4/25/2021 at 11:32 AM, Caerfinon said:

The only other useful projection I could find is one from the ScanSat mod that allows you to use a Kavrayskiy VII projection of Kerbin.

You are right. I think that works better, making the range circles more accurate. Still not as perfect as at azimuthal projection but better.

Kerbin Range Circles

15 hours ago, Caerfinon said:

Side Projects: JNSQ-KSRGAP   @Beetlecat @theonegalen @Coyote21

a3I4TIp.pngA324ImH.png

Played a little this afternoon, did the first couple of Landing Rights missions (up to S05A) on my heavily modded JNSQ. No problems so far. 

I have also received, but not taken, additional airline contracts to completed airfields.

As expected, I already prefer this contract pack over GAP for JNSQ.

I plan to make one small personal change. Some of the Airfields have up to four runways, normally 2 running north-south and 2 running east-west. Instead of having 8 NavUtilities entries for these Airfields (2 for each runway, e.g 27L + 27R), I plan to reduce it to just the four with directions indicated by the ground arrows.

I'm only doing this so my list of runways in NavUtilites is not so large. This is a simple change so I think you should leave all the entries there for ppl that want all possible approaches.

I plan to do more Landing Rights missions later tonight, as well as some of the Airline Contracts.

• Issue tracker so far
    • Issue 2 - Multi flight support - passenger flights with  connecting flight to regional airports
    • Issue 3- Cargo Retrieval Flights - flights for small medium and large cargo planes
    • Issue 4- VIK Transport Charters - transport very important kerbals to their destination(s)
    • Issue 5 - Adjust settings for JNSQ_KK_Fixes.zip :rep:
      • This is the big one from a time point of view. I will need to install a copy of my dev instance, apply the changes from the JNSQ GitHub and resurvey the bases and make changes.  So more flying ahead.
2 hours ago, Coyote21 said:

I plan to make one small personal change.

I'm glad you are enjoying it. I completely understand there are a lot runways and the navigation tools can get a little "busy". You can modify things as you like,  you can always restore form the releases if you need to replace some of the profiles you removed

16 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

I was just thinking about searching for a flap map like this

We are a full service airline ;p

Edited by Caerfinon

• The Kerbal construct changes are not as bad as I thought.
    • Most bases are unchanged and the current settings work. :heart_eyes:
    • AirBase S00A has had runways realigned to north/south  and east/west. Before the fix file they were off by about 8 degrees. So this one needs a redo.
    • Smusgrave has been given a new runway
    • Of the new sites only VTereshkova and YGagarin have runways
  • So four bases to map out, but only three to integrate into the flight progression. :valhappy:

• New map with additional airport sites
  • Navigation information gathered for sites S00A, Smusgrave, VTereshkova, and Y. Gagarin for changes due to JNSQ_KK_Fixes.zip update to JNSQ. 
  • Should be able to complete tests on the 4 new sites and have an updated beta release this weekend now.

YrXZTBk.png

Edited by Caerfinon
v0.0.1-Beta release added

Current Status

• Back to original flavour KSRGAP... (KSRGAP Classic?)
  • Learned a few tricks writing the JNSQ version so some code improvements to flights will be in the works.
  • Need to finish the river expeditions contract for KGO
  • I've been toying with the idea of conducting some KK archaeology on KSR Airports and perhaps salvaging some of them. Early tests are encouraging.
  • Also a second survey of runways is in order to correct heading discrepancies between the NAV tools. The new method is much better than the one I started with  
Edited by Caerfinon

In a parallel universe, I'd love to fire up a 2.5x scale stock system to use with KSR + this contract pack. :D  I mean, nothing is stopping me, but I have to train myself to *STOP* attempting to combine complicated mod builds and just play the darn game.

In the meantime I'll enjoy the JNSQ pack once I get the first flights off the ground.

Edited by Beetlecat

RandomAnnoyingGuy suggested NASA/Goddard's G.Projector at  https://www.giss.nasa.gov/tools/gprojector/download/ and that did the trick. I can produce equidistant azimuth maps from any point on Kerbin. This one is centered on KSC and has a scale of 0.5 km per pixel. Now if only something like Kerbal Wind Tunnel would give me an accurate estimate of aircraft endurance so I could know how far a plane will fly while still in the SPH. Just got to fly come more in Snadbox and use what knowledge I do get to better estimate. I'm sure it's a lot like building a real airline industry.

KSC-AzimEqui

20 minutes ago, CaptKordite said:

that did the trick.

It certainly did do the trick! It looks great.

When you get the accuracy fine tuned I'd be happy to add it to the Mod's Assets/Maps and credit you as a contributor. If that's OK? 

Current Status:

• Issue 48 - enhancement - Add MechJeb Config for runway landings
    • With a great deal of help from @ColdJ I'm going to put together a patch for MechJeb's  LandingSites.cfg with current runways.

UPDATES:

• New pre-release available on GitHub -> v2.0.8.RC2
    • Contains KRAMAX and NAVUtilities corrections
    • Contains initial support for MechJeb2 Airplane autolanding
Edited by Caerfinon
new pre-release