It is November, and my signature did not lie.

Whackjob

You done did dood it dude. Congratulations!

Only 100 years until you need to renew the lease.

Marriage tips from my own experiences:

• Winning your partner's heart is easy. Treasuring it is a lifetime undertaking.
  • Make sure you remember to use conflict as a tool to find your mutual blindspots; then solve them. Conflict does not "stop [me] from getting what I want", it highlights selfishness.
  • If you can't understand why your partner is upset, try reversing your perspective and reverse-engineering their current mood. "I'm [the other] and I'm [annoyed/sad/hangry] because of X and I feel X because of Y..." Do it gently and you'll either diagnose the problem, or your partner will correct you and you'll both root out the issue.
  • Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." Which partner it applies to varies, but just keep it in mind.
  • If all else fails, curl in a corner and throw chocolate at them until they go away.
Edited by starcaptain

4 hours ago, starcaptain said:

You done did dood it dude. Congratulations!

Only 100 years until you need to renew the lease.

Marriage tips from my own experiences:

• Winning your partner's heart is easy. Treasuring it is a lifetime undertaking.
  • Make sure you remember to use conflict as a tool to find your mutual blindspots; then solve them. Conflict does not "stop [me] from getting what I want", it highlights selfishness.
  • If you can't understand why your partner is upset, try reversing your perspective and reverse-engineering their current mood. "I'm [the other] and I'm [annoyed/sad/hangry] because of X and I feel X because of Y..." Do it gently and you'll either diagnose the problem, or your partner will correct you and you'll both root out the issue.
  • Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." Which partner it applies to varies, but just keep it in mind.
  • If all else fails, curl in a corner and throw chocolate at them until they go away.

Thank you!  I will keep that in mind.  The new wife and I have lived in the same house now for about four years.  In that time, we've never argued.  We've never shouted at each other, not once.  I attribute this to several factors;  One, we're basically hippies and we don't sweat the small things.  Two, we have the capability of discussing anything like adults.   Three, both of us take responsibility for errors and mistakes, though admittedly I am the more egregious offender.  And four, we both are human and realise the same applies to the other.  We might have a rough patch one day, but so far we're doing pretty darned good.

12 hours ago, Whackjob said:

In that time, we've never argued.  We've never shouted at each other, not once.

Well you've probably disagreed with one another or said something that rubbed the other the wrong way. What I'm talking about is ensuring those kinds of things are addressed: ignoring relation problems or pretending they don't exist are not solutions.

On 11/16/2020 at 6:36 PM, Dman979 said:

Congratulations! I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your kids- I'm expecting them to look like your rockets!

We'll never have kids, unfortunately.  She had a medical condition at a young age that required some surgery.   But, there's always the option to adopt.

On 11/18/2020 at 9:49 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Not going to give advice, too much already.

Congratulations!

Does she play KSP also?

The only games I've seen her play are a Mario Kart game on an old gamecube.  But, she's amazing at tabletop things.   We just recently bought Catan.  We're doing two player games for now, because family game night is basically out... I'm in an area with significant coronavirus issues and we can't afford the risk.

Thank you for the well-wishes, all!

Edited by Whackjob

19 hours ago, Whackjob said:

We'll never have kids, unfortunately.  She had a medical condition at a young age that required some surgery.   But, there's always the option to adopt.

I'm sorry to hear that, and it's good you're considering adopting. There's (unfortunately) a lot of children who need a loving home, and I'm sure you'll make good parents if you decide to go down that route. Who knows, maybe you'll even introduce your kids to KSP!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.