KSP Loading...: Some Reassembly in Progress!

UomoCapra

17 hours ago, Fusion confusion said:

Cool! but one of the devs, (I forgot which one) said that there would be another 1.11 ksp loading, Moar Cockpits. In a conversation. I think that might be coming soon. :) 

7 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Where did you see this?

33 minutes ago, Just a random person said:

:o I hope so

Were you referring to this?

If so, @Mikenike isn't a developer. I think he's just speculating :wink:

21 hours ago, Fusion confusion said:

Cool! but one of the devs, (I forgot which one) said that there would be another 1.11 ksp loading, Moar Cockpits. In a conversation. I think that might be coming soon. :) 

I'm not a dev. Wish like hell I was apart of the SQUAD of devs for KSP, and a moderator. 

4 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Were you referring to this?

If so, @Mikenike isn't a developer. I think he's just speculating :wink:

I'm not. I'm saying that I want it to be. I want it to be a truth, however I am just speculation. It's one category that hasn't had much love in recent, just a few different color schemes and such, but I'd love for them to change some of the designs, like the modded capsules in a bunch of mod (Ive seen them but I don't know their names, EE's fault). Make it a variant of them, like how the engines have diffent designs of covers and whatnot. 

Edited by Mikenike

Dear Devs,

reading your statement

...of quality-of-life features that we’ll include in this update to improve the game experience,

as well as our continuous effort to revamp the textures ...

and knowing that linux users will never will see it

- https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/24306 -

this makes me only sad.

Selling the game on steam as linux supported without informing the buyers  that the graphics on linux is much worse is a bid "unfair" (understatement;-).

Thank you for nothing!

I wonder if "Some Reassembly Required" could also bring about docking ports that weld together, such that the docking ports vanish and the parts attached to them come together. Like this:

FW52x0T.png

That's something I've tried to do unsuccessfully in the past, and it would be a nice feature that seems to fit with the theme of the update. :)

9 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

I wonder if "Some Reassembly Required" could also bring about docking ports that weld together, such that the docking ports vanish and the parts attached to them come together.

I would love to see that, but I think things should be more involved than 'right click to weld'. Maybe a Kerbal engineer would need to be on EVA near the ports, or you'd need x amount of electric charge to do it, or something.

Also, how would the masses of the two ports be handled? Having them being removed entirely seems a bit cheaty, so would the parts themselves vanish with their masses being added to some nearby part?

No different than the construction ports from USI. They attach like normal docking ports and can be aligned precisely afterwards by changing the angle. Then, clicking "weld" (as long as either one isn't the root part I found out) they merge together and disappear just like if you made it in the VAB. It's perfect for large space stations and bases. 

22 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

I wonder if "Some Reassembly Required" could also bring about docking ports that weld together, such that the docking ports vanish and the parts attached to them come together. Like this:

FW52x0T.png

That's something I've tried to do unsuccessfully in the past, and it would be a nice feature that seems to fit with the theme of the update. :)

It would.  Dreaming...

20 hours ago, aeroeng14 said:

No different than the construction ports from USI. They attach like normal docking ports and can be aligned precisely afterwards by changing the angle. Then, clicking "weld" (as long as either one isn't the root part I found out) they merge together and disappear just like if you made it in the VAB. It's perfect for large space stations and bases. 

But it would be nice to be stock - so I don't have another .dll floating around my Gamedata being confused as I often try to have a bare-ish bones install and strip out other bits.  This is the only thing I would use USI for. 

12 minutes ago, jojo5144 said:

hello, i have a question about anchoring ships.
Will this option be available on ships already landed on the current version?
or will we have to land new ships?

thanks

I'm not a developer but I reckon it'll apply to all landed craft whether they were landed before the update or not. 

On 11/12/2020 at 5:40 PM, UomoCapra said:

A side-effect of the game’s physics has caused some headaches by having vessels without landing legs or wheels to slowly slide when they are resting on the ground under different circumstances such as steep slopes. To help the players deal with this, we will be adding a new internal function to vessels to help anchor themselves to the ground.

How about craft with wheels sliding around? i.e. 26396?
While you're at it, how about 25680, 25841, and 24306?

I'm sure the new parts and graphical updates are nice and all, but what's got me scratching my head is how the settings system has remained broken for over a year and 3 major releases, and how such obvious and everyone-aggravating new regressions as wheels sliding about all over the place and totally broken resource transfer have managed to land on the back probably-never burner.

Do you think we could perhaps hear less about the graphics and more about the longstanding unfixed bugs in these announcements?

On 11/15/2020 at 8:00 PM, rfried said:

Selling the game on steam as linux supported without informing the buyers  that the graphics on linux is much worse is a bid "unfair" (understatement;-).

You were here for the bit where they completely borked joystick support with an update, left it unfixed for 3 major releases, and then subtly tried to shift blame onto "the open source community" for not producing enough irrelevant gamepad mappings? The game remained on sale for the GNU/Linux platform throughout, with nary a warning for potential customers.
Or the one where the game crashed immediately if pulseaudio wasn't installed, the community wrote a bunch of patches and workarounds, and Squad did nothing at all?
How about that period where an entire release was unplayable due to memory management crashes?
Remember when KSP used to pass garbage geometry values to the window manager and crash people's desktops?  That one was super fun, care to guess who put in the effort to identify the cause?

This is the kind of support we get. Apparently Squad's GNU/Linux support extends exactly as far as selecting the "Build Linux Package" checkbox in Unity and walking away.

Edited by steve_v
Linked the wrong bug report... So many bug reports.

1 hour ago, steve_v said:

How about craft with wheels sliding around? i.e. 24848?
While you're at it, how about 25680, 25841, and 24306?

I assume this anchoring system will apply to any stationary landed craft, since as you mentioned landing legs/wheels have sliding issues too. It's probably a better idea for the system to only have to check whether a craft is landed and stationary, not whether it's landed, stationary and doesn't have wheels.

39 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I assume this anchoring system will apply to any stationary landed craft, since as you mentioned landing legs/wheels have sliding issues too.

In the case of the latest wheel-jank shenanigans (Ed. Linked the wrong report, should have been 26396), the problem goes far beyond sliding while parked.
Lightweight craft using the Rovemax S2 (i.e. any realistic/sensible early-game robotic rover) slide around constantly like the tires are greased, rendering them completely undriveable and preventing saving. Sticking them to the ground when the brakes are on won't make them any more usable.
Unfortunately that wheel is the only real option for realistic robotic rovers, and a players first introduction to rovers when playing career... It's also been borked since 1.8.0.

As far as I can tell it's yet another suspension / collision-detection bug in the never-ending saga of the garbage post-1.1 wheel model, as temporarily increasing gravity usually fixes it until scene change, as does (sometimes, dependent on vessel mass) increasing spring settings. Affected vessels also fail to report ground-contact for mods that look for it (e.g. BonVoyage).
And no, it's not just another typo in the part config. At least not this time.
As far as I can tell it's something along the lines of low ground-pressure not triggering the friction system, and I suspect that if you could make a light enough vessel other wheels would be similarly affected.

If you're talking about the less-severe general sliding of landing gear / wheels, yeah, that's a thing too. As is craft slowly rotating on the runway without control input. As is ground-interaction generally being janky as hell since day-one and showing no signs of improving 8 or so years into development.

Edited by steve_v

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.