av-r8 winglet or deltadelux winglet - is there a reason to pick on over the other in certain situations or is one always better?

Well those two winglets seem to fit the same purpose, both adding control at the bottom of a rocket-stack.

However the av-r8 winglet seems clearly superior: much larger control surface (full winglet instead of a tiny fraction). Only weighing a fraction more (and often in the first-to-throw) stage so it won't matter.

Is there any reason I would pick delta-deluxe winglet over the av-r8? Other than looks which cannot be discussed.

24 minutes ago, paul23 said:

Is there any reason I would pick delta-deluxe winglet over the av-r8?

I like the looks and form of the AV-R8, but there's plenty of practical reasons to pick the delta:

• Cost. 40 funds cheaper. Depending on the requirements or the available budget that might just make the difference.
  • Lift. 0.15 wing area more to get higher (or lift more overall weight).
  • Weight. 0.022 t less per winglet to push.
  • Form. The shape of the wing may be just the fitting piece of the puzzle for your airframe.
  • If you need something that adds a good amount of stabilization and just a bit of control, the delta wins.
  • If you need something that gives you both a fixed wing with better lift, and a control surface, the delta wins.

45 minutes ago, paul23 said:

Other than looks which cannot be discussed.

The main reason it's often scoffed upon is its not-so-sleek looks. So when you explicitly single that out, the delta pretty much wins on all counts except as a pure control surface.

1 minute ago, swjr-swis said:

I like the looks and form of the AV-R8, but there's plenty of practical reasons to pick the delta:

• Cost. 40 funds cheaper. Depending on the requirements or the available budget that might just make the difference.
  • Form. The shape of the wing may be just the fitting piece of the puzzle for your airframe.
  • If you need something that adds a good amount of stabilization and just a bit of control, the delta wins.
  • If you need something that gives you both a fixed wing with better lift, and a control surface, the delta wins.

The main reason it's often scoffed upon is its not-so-sleek looks. So when you explicitly single that out, the delta pretty much wins on all counts except as a pure control surface.

How are the delta wing better, when they have so little actual control surface area?

5 minutes ago, paul23 said:

How are the delta wing better, when they have so little actual control surface area?

Uhm...

12 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

(...)

:rolleyes:

You already said it: The delta deluxe is lighter.

Also cheaper with a larger relative wing area.

You just didn't realized those are often bigger advantages than larger control surface area. In other words that " adding control at the bottom of a rocket-stack" is far from the only purpose that the delta-deluxe can fit. Examples given: https://kerbalx.com/parts/143

25 minutes ago, paul23 said:

Depends on what you want: do you need mostly control surface? Then the AV-R8 is better.

Do you mostly need an aero-surface with just a bit of control? Then the Delta-Deluxe is better.

All in all I think that you could get nearly all of the craft to work with either of them.

52 minutes ago, bewing said:

You don't need a lifting surface at the back end. You need control surface area

Respectfully, I wonder about this.  For purely simple weather-vaning a potentially stronger counter-lift could easily be superior to a weaker but controllable force.  This would depend upon whether the craft has a simple profile staying in or very close to Sfc Prograde during the lower atmospheric phase.  This is often the case, excepting the relatively low-speed pitch-over maneuver.  A higher total surface area might be quite superior to a lower control surface area, even if that's the whole part.

Of course, there are some craft (e.g. boosting a winged payload) with an unavoidably near-neutral stability, that are not so simple and benefit from or require proactive control.  With those, I anyway tend toward speed-limiting until reaching higher altitudes, since this (it seems to me) is the most reliable strategy.  (Either that, or sometimes electing to use disposable shuttle fins.)

As always: experimentation...  lots of it.

Edited by Hotel26

On 11/15/2020 at 12:23 AM, bewing said:

As I recall, the last time I did the full comparison the Tailfin is superior to everything else. You don't need a lifting surface at the back end. You need control surface area.

Having a lifting surface means that the center of lift moves further back due to an object. The more lift a tailfin generates the further it moves back. One would always want the center of lift behind the center of mass.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.