My explanation of ''Tic Tac'' UFO's

Serenity

Btw, about UFO in general.

There was a known subject, idk how it's named in English, but kinda "Rapid Lunar Events" or so.

I.e. unexplained short-time motions of lunar details, misty spots, flashes, and so on.

It was widely discussed in 1970s-80s, but it looks like the hype is frozen.

Is this subject known outside of the USSR?
Are they still observed?

Can they affect the lunar base-building plans?

Are they still in trend?

7 hours ago, Serenity said:

From what we can observe it seems that everything must be real, i am terrified in the idea that some things don't exist or can't exist cause that will lead to even more questions,

i hope things exist because if they don't then we talking about scary stuff, like great filters, simulations, unknown entities, magic etc.

Well don't tell bumblebees they can not fly, they might believe you, even if they can be annoying they are important.  (Yes it was an old study based on aerodynamic for planes and helicopters but is kind of an meme now)

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

There was a known subject, idk how it's named in English, but kinda "Rapid Lunar Events" or so.

Can you post a Russian article or something, i think the current facilities can withstand lunar storms.

Edited by Serenity

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

I.e. unexplained short-time motions of lunar details, misty spots, flashes, and so on.

It was widely discussed in 1970s-80s, but it looks like the hype is frozen.

Is this subject known outside of the USSR?
Are they still observed?

Can they affect the lunar base-building plans?

Are they still in trend?

Think I heard about it, some might be real as in asteroid impacts or landslides, more is probably people trying to spot cool stuff on the moon and you got atmospheric disturbances. 
High velocity dust, think intercontinental missiles from rocket landings and asteroid impact is an concern. 
Landing an tiny rover close to one of the first moon landing probes will give lots of data and is one mission NASA wan done, one of the Apollo mission landed near one probe but it had only been there a few years. 

2 minutes ago, Serenity said:

Can you post a Russian article or something, i think the current facilities can withstand lunar storms.

It was in paper epoch. In the late paperolith.

Found it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transient_lunar_phenomenon

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=ru&tl=en&u=https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Кратковременные_лунные_явления

14 hours ago, Errol said:

What the math, a P.hD with a youtube channel, addressed this a few years ago:

I've purposely avoided reading about the whole "tic-tac" thing because I knew it would turn out to be silly, but this is ridiculous. The "evidence" is the functional equivalent of JPG artifacting, and the faulty perceptions of people who can't gauge relative motion to save their lives. Sheesh.

• 1 year later...

Is this the main “those UFO/UAPs from the last five years recorded by militaries” thread?

NASA is joining… that auto-corrected to “joking”, lol… the UAP train.

If not I think this belongs here anyway in case it ignites discussion in the Science News thread.

@JoeSchmuckatelli

Quoting you from the thread about SETI data… I’m on mobile and it won’t let me insert an empty quote box.

Tangentially related:  

Neil deGrasse Tyson, "We can launch a probe from one moving, rotating planet and land on a COMET... we can measure, via LIGO, a wiggle less than the width of a photon... and yet Congress spends its time and money because someone saw a Tic-Tac on the screen of a Navy jet in a restricted airspace???  That's your best evidence for 'little green men'???  C'Mon!"

It is the media and UFO enthusiasts who conflate the UAPs with UFOs… not in the normal definition of “an aerial object we do not know the nature of” but instead the “extraterrestrial spacecraft” UFOs. Congress/DOD’s interest is more open minded, considering things like the possibility of it being some ultra high tech foreign reconnaissance asset, among other things.

In general the US defence establishment’s tendency is to treat every possible threat seriously, because the last time military intelligence got little bits of pieces of evidence, and even warnings, but shrugged it off as “silly” and “impossible”, Pearl Harbor got bombed.

Not sure about nowadays, but the Soviet defence establishment had the same problem throughout almost the entire Cold War because of their traumatic experience with the Great Patriotic War.

Which makes me wonder… do we have any idea of what other countries think of these “UAPs”?

All I know at the moment is that Japan set up reporting guidelines for UAPs for its military around the time the DOD released its first report.

———

By the way, as UAPs don’t necessarily have anything to do with extraterrestrials, I don’t think that ND-GT quote is applicable to the SETI thread. SETI is searching for radio signals from distant celestial bodies, UAPs only relate to unidentified aerial objects as the name implies, not alien craft. The UAPs = aliens is something media and UFO enthusiasts are assuming, not something the UAP investigators themselves have said. And as UAPs are not inherently extraterrestrial, they certainly have no relation to SETI.

Also SETI is not funded by the US government, also making the taxpayer funded UAP investigation irrelevant to SETI.

Everything what we can see exists in our brain 2.5d model of reality, built from one or two 2d raster pictures on flat surface of retina or photographic film.

And the distance where you stop seeing stereo and can define the distance on from the object environment ("near that tree", "farther than that house"), is very low.

(Thanks to this you can build a hall with several ten meters hight ceiling and fill it like "sky high", because it's at your visual infinity, like the real sky.)

Thus, actually we see a flat skybox with objects sticking out from it, like inverted voxel graphics,

So, instead of that illiterate "unrecognized f...ing flying object" we should properly name them and distinguish "skybox artifact" and "environmental skybox artifact", as everything we can see as UFO is actually our visual skybox artifacts.

This way we can avoid arguing about its nature and is it flying or not. It's a skybox artifact caused by some reason.

4 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

I don’t think that ND-GT quote is applicable to the SETI thread

I don't disagree - and in fact had completely forgotten about this thread (where it is on point).  Thanks! 

I just heard him say that and it tickled my funny bone 

6 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

In general the US defence establishment’s tendency is to treat every possible threat seriously, because the last time military intelligence got little bits of pieces of evidence, and even warnings, but shrugged it off as “silly” and “impossible”, Pearl Harbor got bombed.

Which shares a lot of commonality with the evolutionary role of superstition. That rustle in the bush is probably nothing harmful nine times out of ten, but there's a small chance it's a tiger. The ones who didn't assume the worst were selectively weeded out of the gene pool.

And now superstition is a dominant trait of humanity. It just takes all sorts of different forms because it's an assumption based on lack of evidence which requires the believer to fill in the blanks with their own guesses: Ghosts, gods, witches, and aliens, etc.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.