Rotors refuse to move in closed fairing.

When a rotor is inside a fairing, it locks up and won't move until the fairing is deployed or destroyed. This happens even if the fairing isn't even touching the rotor or any parts connected to the rotor. As long as the rotor is within the fairing, even by the slightest bit, it won't move. Is there any way to make the rotor move within an undeployed fairing?

It's been my experience that since 1.9 or 1.10 that nothing works inside a fairing.  It's as if they've disabled physics inside the fairings.  Even decouplers don't work.  The change seems to have happened when they added the ability to create open fairings.  I've tried using fairings as Dragon trunks, and decoupling the payload doesn't work... it just stays locked in place.

13 hours ago, Corona688 said:

The job of a fairing is to make stuff stay put.  What are you trying to do?  maybe you can use a structural tube instead.

The job of a fairing is to occlude what's inside it from aero forces.

Neither a structural tube nor an engine plate will do that.

1 hour ago, Geonovast said:

The job of a fairing is to occlude what's inside it from aero forces.

Neither a structural tube nor an engine plate will do that.

Structural tubes and engines plates in the middle of the craft etc don't occlude their ''payloads'' from aero forces????

Edited by Boyster

On 11/16/2020 at 3:54 AM, Jsythere-Eighty-Niner said:

Is there any way to make the rotor move within an undeployed fairing?

wwHGYtI.jpgFor me, KSP acts as if there are invisible struts to the top-most part of the contents inside a fairing. 
I'm not sure exactly the rule by which KSP chooses which part to hold, but can usually rearrange construction to make my parts move.  For example, I can use the 'inter-stage nodes' and add a part to an upper node.. (Hiding the truss structure might make it look better).  For me, the behavior seems the same since 1.7.

The problem with decouplers has a work-around, I think, on the bug-tracker.  "decouplers fairings" finds a few entries, but I think all the same bug. 

For those of use who want structural tubes to protect parts from airflow, and who are on PC, there is a module-manager patch for that on the bug-tracker as well.

12 hours ago, Boyster said:

Wow....i always though....they act as fairings...welp...

Is that intended or its just something that is hard to implement etc?

It's literally a few lines of text in the part file. So it must be intended.

On 11/17/2020 at 6:44 PM, Geonovast said:

It's been my experience that since 1.9 or 1.10 that nothing works inside a fairing.  It's as if they've disabled physics inside the fairings.  Even decouplers don't work.  The change seems to have happened when they added the ability to create open fairings.  I've tried using fairings as Dragon trunks, and decoupling the payload doesn't work... it just stays locked in place.

I think theyve done this as a patch to the no drag rotor glitch method of going to orbit. I could be wrong, but there has been a glitch/exploit wher you put rotors outside a fairing, then bring them in somehow, and the game is tricked into thinking it is at work inside the fairing, and no drag is produced from it. This sucks for Matt Lowne's Ring Station Designs. That means they won't work.;.;

On 11/24/2020 at 10:10 PM, Jsythere-Eighty-Niner said:

Is there any way to disable this fairing part lock issue? Or do I have to wait until the next update/bug fix which it might get totally ignored.

I remember this issue barely existing in 1.9 by the way.

Its existed since 1.9 and has stayed since. Only time will tell man, could be either or. Or neither nor. Depends on how the devs see it. They may have done it on purpose, or it could have been rogue coding.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.