Does KSP really have spyware in it?

DoctorDavinci

Just now, nascarlaser1 said:

As multiple people have also pointed out, this EULA covers ALL of TT's programs,sites and other things, not just KSP.

Yes well guess what THIS IS KSP! It affects us so what?

Just now, Brainlord Mesomorph said:

Which is why I will never install so much as  a demo of a TT product, ever.

exactly. Not that I have a choice now seeing as I owned KSP before the updated EULA 

1 minute ago, Brainlord Mesomorph said:

Which is why I will never install so much as  a demo of a TT product, ever.

fair enough. This is the only item from them I use, so this doesn't effect me since its unlikely (not impossible I admit, now that I know more) that they will add this to KSP.

2 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

OK so let me understand this. Your OK if SQUAD takes your Banking Info or Address, IP Address Zip Code mailing info computer Identification Number Emails passwords and the like gives it to the parent company Take-Two who then sells it to a 3rd Party who might not even know what KSP Is?

No, but that sounds like you would be accusing Squad of being a criminal organisation? Even though I have not met anybody from the Squad team in person, I have as much if not more faith in them than many of the other software developers who have code on your computer. 

Just now, Gorman said:

No, but that sounds like you would be accusing Squad of being a criminal organisation? Even though I have not met anybody from the Squad team in person, I have as much if not more faith in them than many of the other software developers who have code on your computer. 

I Also trust squad. I don't trust take two

Hey all

The point of this thread is to gather information and get some answers to the question I posed ... Speculation on what is up is all well and good but just remember that we don't have all the facts yet

Myself and others here have provided information that can be verified by others among us but this still doesn't constitute a guilty as charged verdict

This could easily be just simple game related data to help improve KSP as has always been a part of the game with the only difference being that we are unable to opt out

Lets gather more info and wait for a hopefully honest and insightful response from T2/Squad before we hand down a verdict

55 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

It says We can take you banking info

Gosh it's almost like that EULA is present on all take two's games, including ones with in game purchases. It's also almost like those purchases have to be paid for!

/sarcasm - in all seriousness, take two are not just going to take your banking data unless a) you give it to them for above mentioned purchases, b) they decide to randomly sweep your computer just in case you are stupid enough to leave your bank details in a text file somewhere or c) they can somehow break your banks encryption on your online banking (then you need to get a new bank)

Oh and about the encryption? I use 256-aes encryption on every connection that leaves my computer, I'm not stealing your data either

Edited by severedsolo

1 minute ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Hey all

The point of this thread is to gather information and get some answers to the question I posed ... Speculation on what is up is all well and good but just remember that we don't have all the facts yet

Myself and others here have provided information that can be verified by others among us but this still doesn't constitute a guilty as charged verdict

This could easily be just simple game related data to help improve KSP as has always been a part of the game with the only difference being that we are unable to opt out

Lets gather more info and wait for a hopefully honest and insightful response from T2/Squad before we hand down a verdict

I Agree lets not boycott KSP and Making History until we have the facts. Remember that The Northeast had a bad storm so telecommunications might be down. Innocent people such as youtubers and SQUAD staff will be affected by a boycott. 

Just now, Cheif Operations Director said:

I Agree lets not boycott KSP and Making History until we have the facts. Remember that The Northeast had a bad storm so telecommunications might be down. Innocent people such as youtubers and SQUAD staff will be affected by a boycott. 

This is a great idea :D:D:D:D :D

1 minute ago, severedsolo said:

Gosh it's almost like that EULA is present on all take two's games, including ones with in game purchases. It's also almost like those purchases have to be paid for!

/sarcasm - in all seriousness, take two are not just going to take your banking data unless a) you give it to them for above mentioned purchases, b) they decide to randomly sweep your computer just in case you are stupid enough to leave your bank details in a text file somewhere or c) they can somehow break your banks encryption on your online banking (then you need to get a new bank)

Oh and about the encryption? I use 256-aes encryption on every connection that leaves my computer, I'm not stealing your data either

and a ZIPCODE is nessicary for purchases too? Only for taxes comrade. Geolocation is not nessicary

SQUAD is based in Mexico

1 minute ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

I'm mad and not buying this until I get an answer I think that's a better course of action. Then we can go from there.

and Take Two is in New York I believe

True, but at least some response or reassurance from Squad would be nice

and a ZIPCODE is nessicary for purchases too? Only for taxes comrade. Geolocation is not nessicary

Dunno about where you are, but here my bank verify my address when I make online purchases. If I put it in wrong they reject it.

My address is publically available given it's the billing address for my domains ( so it's linked to email if you can do some basic guesswork ). I'm ex-directory but I bet most people are in the phonebook. Everyone's on the electoral register in my country. Census data is available if you want to get it. IP addresses are logged *everywhere* ( that's what they're there for ). Learn to firewall. EULAs are just legalese fiction until it's in court, check your local consumer & data protection laws & see if it's even valid.

Some of my taxes have apparently gone into cracking HTTPS, although that may be the simpler encryption types.

Edited by Van Disaster

2 hours ago, Brainlord Mesomorph said:

2. its not debug data, its (a LOT of) personal information.

We don't know this yet.  We are (assuming) that KSP is sending data out.  We don't know what it is yet. 

Seeing as to where it is going, people are making assumptions as to what the data contains. 

We do know what we have agreed to in the EULA.   We don't know if that's what they are actually doing. 

Until Squad has confirmed exactly what they are sending, inciting a riot will not do anybody any good.

We all just need to calm down a bit and be patient. 

Just now, severedsolo said:

Dunno about where you are, but here my bank verify my address when I make online purchases. If I put it in wrong they reject it.

From the Privacy Policy

"The types of information collected in connection with the activities listed above will vary depending on the activity. The information we collect may include personal information such as your first and/or last name, e-mail address, phone number, photo, mailing address, geolocation, or payment information. In addition, we may collect your age, gender, date of birth, zip code, hardware configuration, console ID, software products played, survey data, purchases, IP address and the systems you have played on. We may combine the information with your personal information and across other computers or devices that you may use. Prize winners may be required to provide additional information for prize fulfillment.

"The Company may also share your personal information with third parties as described in this Privacy Policy. The Company may share your personal information to fulfill a request you have made, such as signing up for an email list or requesting customer support. In the event we offer services or promotions where your personal information is separately collected and used according to the privacy policy of a third party, we will inform you of that at the time of collection and you may elect not to participate in the service or promotion. In addition, we may share aggregate and other information regarding Online Service usage statistics and user demographics with third parties.

We may share your personal and other information with third parties in connection with an investigation of fraud, intellectual property infringements, or other activity that is illegal or may expose you or us to legal liability, including as required by law enforcement or other government officials. We also may share your personal and other information with third parties when we have reason to believe that a disclosure is necessary to address potential or actual injury or interference with our rights, property, operations, users, or others who may be harmed or may suffer loss or damage, or when we believe that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, investigate, or enforce our policies, terms and conditions, combat fraud and/or comply with a judicial proceeding, court order, or legal process served on the Company. In addition, your personal and other information may be disclosed to a potential or actual successor or assign in connection with a proposed or consummated merger, acquisition, reorganization, bankruptcy, or other similar event involving all or a portion of the Company, the Company's customer information may be transferred to our successor or assign. "

3 minutes ago, Van Disaster said:

My address is publically available given it's the billing address for my domains ( so it's linked to email if you can do some basic guesswork ). I'm ex-directory but I bet most people are in the phonebook. Everyone's on the electoral register in my country. Census data is available if you want to get it. IP addresses are logged *everywhere* ( that's what they're there for ). Learn to firewall. EULAs are just legalese fiction until it's in court, check your local consumer & data protection laws & see if it's even valid.

Some of my taxes have apparently gone into cracking HTTPS, although that may be the simpler encryption types.

So lets get a big billboard a but your social security number on it. 

5 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

We don't know this yet.  We are (assuming) that KSP is sending data out.  We don't know what it is yet. 

Seeing as to where it is going, people are making assumptions as to what the data contains. 

We do know what we have agreed to in the EULA.   We don't know if that's what they are actually doing. 

Until Squad has confirmed exactly what they are sending, inciting a riot will not do anybody any good.

I Know I'm fine with calming down so long as I still have my identity at the end of the day.

7 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

I Know I'm fine with calming down so long as I still have my identity at the end of the day.

Unless you join the faceless ones, you will always have your identity at the end of the day.

It's just that someone else may too. 

6 minutes ago, Brainlord Mesomorph said:

Yeah, I think we're hearing from them in this thread.

just under several alts

Dude, just no. Don't go there.

1. It actively detracts from the credibility your argument (which I strongly agree with).
  2. It is speculation-based, and not fact-based. This is KSP--We do things the right way.

6 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Why?!

I want TT to worry.

I want them to be shocked at the speed and intensity of our rejection of their invasion of our privacy.

I want them to have to re-think their sales projections, with the word "boycott" in mind.

I want them to change that EULA. Now.

7 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

From the Privacy Policy

"The types of information collected in connection with the activities listed above will vary depending on the activity. The information we collect may include personal information such as your first and/or last name, e-mail address, phone number, photo, mailing address, geolocation, or payment information. In addition, we may collect your age, gender, date of birth, zip code, hardware configuration, console ID, software products played, survey data, purchases, IP address and the systems you have played on. We may combine the information with your personal information and across other computers or devices that you may use. Prize winners may be required to provide additional information for prize fulfillment.

Tell me, how do you expect them to get any of that data unless you give it to them? Dunno about you but I'm not in the habit of storing my gender, date of birth and zip code on my computer.

As for hardware configuration, console ID, software purchases and IP address - pretty much everything (including your browser) that connects to the internet provides that information (except the software purchases... but thats probably if you use Rockstar Social or something)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.