Does KSP really have spyware in it?

DoctorDavinci

2 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Well if we're gonna argue about the EULA, lets go do that in that thread kids.  There's enough spam being thrown around, let's try to keep it contained.  This thread is about what KSP is actually sending out to Squad/TT, not what you have agreed to let them do. 

You think agreeing to a EULA that basically says "this is spyware" has no relation to whether or not the product contains spyware?

The part about collecting your data from the EULA is the same as their games that have inapp and online purchases in them, they have to have that in there because when you buy stuff with them, or register for an online service, they are collecting data from you.  No where in there does it say they are using KSP to actively scan your entire computer.  They have several other, much larger games than KSP out, all using a very similar EULA the difference is that in a game like GTA they have microtransactions which requires you to pay for things, so they put in the EULA that they'll be collecting that data.  If they were going to be scanning your computer, they would be doing it in the other games too, and someone would have found out by now.

Just now, Brainlord Mesomorph said:

ITS IN THE EULA!

Yes, to cover everything like, oh I don’t know, maybe future purchases, maybe not for you, but for others, where you need to enter your bank info, billing address, zip code, and any other required info. For someone who has written EULAs you don’t seem to know what they do exactly... makes me wonder if that was just something you said to assert your self over someone you thought had no knowledge of EULAs. 

1 minute ago, AngryBadger said:

The part about collecting your data from the EULA is the same as their games that have inapp and online purchases in them, they have to have that in there because when you buy stuff with them, or register for an online service, they are collecting data from you.  No where in there does it say they are using KSP to actively scan your entire computer.  They have several other, much larger games than KSP out, all using a very similar EULA the difference is that in a game like GTA they have microtransactions which requires you to pay for things, so they put in the EULA that they'll be collecting that data.  If they were going to be scanning your computer, they would be doing it in the other games too, and someone would have found out by now.

No but it's giving them access. That's all they need to start collecting that information.

1 minute ago, Galileo said:

Yes, to cover everything like, oh I don’t know, maybe future purchases, maybe not for you, but for others, where you need to enter your bank info, billing address, zip code, and any other required info. For someone who has written EULAs you don’t seem to know what they do exactly... makes me wonder if that was just something you said to assert your self over someone you thought had no knowledge of EULAs. 

@Galileo

KSP DOES NOT NEED TO KNOW ALL OF THIS INFORMATION

10 minutes ago, Brainlord Mesomorph said:

You think agreeing to a EULA that basically says "this is spyware" has no relation to whether or not the product contains spyware?

15 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Well if we're gonna argue about the EULA, lets go do that in that thread kids.  There's enough spam being thrown around, let's try to keep it contained.  This thread is about what KSP is actually sending out to Squad/TT, not what you have agreed to let them do. 

This was not my statement ... it was @Gargamel's

Please do not put words into my mouth ... Just because I agree doesn't mean you can attribute his words as mine by editing the quote

Edited by DoctorDavinci

1 minute ago, ZooNamedGames said:

No but it's giving them access. That's all they need to start collecting that information.

And yet no one playing GTA or Civ has found the game scanning their whole computer for the data.  The only way they will collect that data is if you use a service like a microtransaction purchase, or link a social meida account to one of their services.  KSP's EULA has it because they cut and pasted their standard EULA in.  Or maybe they intend to have microtransactions in the future, and they're covering themselves now. 

1 minute ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

@Galileo

Though I do not agree with his caps, I do agree, KSP does not need this level of information. I understand that it may be needed later but as far as KSP goes today, there's nothing in the game you can buy and use without having to reboot the entire game to reload assets. There's a reason why all downloaded content is provided outside of the game unlike other games like Gmod where you can simply select it and add it while the game is running. It's because the game needs to reload to cache the added assets.

This may be done away with in KSP2 but for the time being, the game doesn't need this information as you really can't buy anything in the game without having to leave the game anyway. Majority of the purchasable content needs to be outside of the game, not in it. Meaning it shouldn't need that information.

Even if it is a 'general' EULA, it's poorly applied. It may work for 90% of programs, but clearly this community doesn't like how it works for this program.

14 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

Can a country of farmers build a nuke... Yes north korea. Of course a multi million dollar corporation can do coding.

By that I meant down know if there IS some kind a tool imbedded in 1.4?

Just now, Cheif Operations Director said:

IT IS A DIFFERANT GAME!

Yes, I'm well aware of that.  But they used the same EULA, probably to save time, or maybe they intend to introduce in app purchases or microtransactions into KSP and they want that covered now already.  There is nothing in the EULA that says they are oging to scan your pirvate files on yur computer, it has not happened in their other games because GTA has been out long enough that someone would have found out.  The only reason KSP even has that stuff in the EULA now is because they cut and paste the standard one, and who knows maybe in future KSP will need it because they'll have microtransactions.

2 minutes ago, AngryBadger said:

And yet no one playing GTA or Civ has found the game scanning their whole computer for the data.  The only way they will collect that data is if you use a service like a microtransaction purchase, or link a social meida account to one of their services.  KSP's EULA has it because they cut and pasted their standard EULA in.  Or maybe they intend to have microtransactions in the future, and they're covering themselves now. 

Difference is, you can purchase content in those games. You can't in KSP and likely never will.

Even if it is copy and pasted, it doesn't work for this community.

2 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

@Galileo

No, you are right it doesn’t, and it doesn’t take it, as it has been shown already, but perhaps it was put in the EULA to cover something like future DLC or addon purchases, where that info is needed..

Just now, ZooNamedGames said:

Difference is, you can purchase content in those games. You can't in KSP and likely never will.

Even if it is copy and pasted, it doesn't work for this community.

Maybe not, but it's still pretty obvious that it's intended to get you to agree to them collecting data you willingly give them, since that's how it's applied in the other games that use a very similar EULA.  There is no reason to suddenly jump to the conclusion that they are going to start scanning your entire computer for personal data.

4 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Source please? What makes you think they won’t implement something like that? You really think micro transactions are out of the picture? With TT? Wasn’t that all the fuss in the forums a few months ago when TT was announced as purchasing the rights to KSP?

Edited by Galileo

4 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Though I do not agree with his caps, I do agree, KSP does not need this level of information. I understand that it may be needed later but as far as KSP goes today, there's nothing in the game you can buy and use without having to reboot the entire game to reload assets. There's a reason why all downloaded content is provided outside of the game unlike other games like Gmod where you can simply select it and add it while the game is running. It's because the game needs to reload to cache the added assets.

This may be done away with in KSP2 but for the time being, the game doesn't need this information as you really can't buy anything in the game without having to leave the game anyway. Majority of the purchasable content needs to be outside of the game, not in it. Meaning it shouldn't need that information.

Even if it is a 'general' EULA, it's poorly applied. It may work for 90% of programs, but clearly this community doesn't like how it works for this program.

I'm Just getting frustrated.

3 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Source please? What makes you think they won’t implement something like that? You really think micro transactions are out of the picture? With TT? Wasn’t that all the fuss in the forums a few months ago when TT was announced as purchasing the rights to KSP?

Source being that you need to reboot KSP to add assets. Why would purchase content in game when you need to reboot the game to add each chunk of DLC. Which only gets worse when you want to buy multiples. KSP is not optimized for content being added post bootup

Edited by ZooNamedGames

2 minutes ago, Brainlord Mesomorph said:

I don't know the source language, but the IDE is Unity.

Found it!

Crap, it's a C language (and by extension based on Java). I won't be of any use picking it apart looking for boys.

1 minute ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Source being that you need to reboot KSP to add assets. Why would purchase content in game when you need to reboot the game to add each chunk of DLC. Which only gets worse when you want to buy multiples. KSP is not optimized for content being added post bootup

That’s not a source. That’s speculation and assumption that it won’t happen.

Edited by Galileo

8 minutes ago, Galileo said:

No, you are right it doesn’t, and it doesn’t take it, as it has been shown already, but perhaps it was put in the EULA to cover something like future DLC or addon purchases, where that info is needed..

If it doesn't take it why does it request access to it

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.