Does KSP really have spyware in it?

DoctorDavinci

I think i've read and said enough in this thread. Everybody seems to stick to his/hers opinion. One group has a naive perspective on the EULA and says nothing personal is sent now and therefore never will be. The other group does not agrre with tis en says there's no reason to agree to sending a a lot of personal information as is stipulated in the EULA. It's as if  one group can't understand what the other group is saying. The same arguments are repeated over and over.

Everybody only has two options, upgrade or stick with an old version. I'm one who will stick with the old version and i wil NEVER buy any game from Take Two unless the EULA is changed. In practice this will probably mean i will stay at 1.3.1 forever because i don't believe the EULA will be changed.

2 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Source being that you need to reboot KSP to add assets. Why would purchase content in game when you need to reboot the game to add each chunk of DLC. Which only gets worse when you want to buy multiples. KSP is not optimized for content being added post bootup

That doesn't mean they won't still try some sort of purchase system that requires them to get your agreement to data collection.  But more likely than that, is it's just left over from the EULA's of the other games that are currently under their umbrella that do support the purchases of stuff.  They probably decided to leave it in because that way if they do come up with some way to milk some money from the game they already have the data collecting part covered.  Either way, there's nothing in there to suggest they're now going to invade your personal folders with a hidden piece of code to harvest information.

1 minute ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

If it doesn't take it why does it request access to it

I literally explained it in that comment you quoted...

1 minute ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Then how do you add parts to your game? Short of having to use the debug menu to reload all assets?

Currently, yes, I reload the game. That does not mean it won’t happen. And nothing is stopping TT or Squad from saying “once purchase is complete, a restart of KSP will be necessary”. 

2 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

If it doesn't take it why does it request access to it

Because it's a standard cut and paste EULA and they didn't customise it enough for KSP.  The same EULA they use for GTA V, and to this day no one has found it rummaging through their personal folders.  I agree they should have put more effort into making the EULA properly fit KSP, but if you look at the other games they have, and the reason they have that collection clause, it becomes clear it's there to cover them when they collect data given to them during a purchase or registration for an online service.

7 minutes ago, TheCardinal said:

I think i've read and said enough in this thread. Everybody seems to stick to his/hers opinion. One group has a naive perspective on the EULA and says nothing personal is sent now and therefore never will be. The other group does not agrre with tis en says there's no reason to agree to sending a a lot of personal information as is stipulated in the EULA. It's as if  one group can't understand what the other group is saying. The same arguments are repeated over and over.

There is a third group in there ... we are a small one which is why it is easy to overlook us (even though it was one of us who started this thread :rolleyes:)

We're the group that just wants to know what is actually happening, gathering data on the subject and asking questions ... not many of us here it looks like

1 minute ago, Galileo said:

I literally explained it in that comment you quoted...

Currently, yes, I reload the game. That does not mean it won’t happen. And nothing is stopping TT or Squad from saying “once purchase is complete, a restart of KSP will be necessary”. 

I just don't see the return on the investment of bug testing, developing, QnAing a "purchase" screen in KSP as opposed to managing a webpage. Vastly more complex. It's how Squad has managed all extra content like the forum and the official mod hosting sites for years. Why change something that isn't broken.

2 minutes ago, TheCardinal said:

In practice this will probably mean i will stay at 1.3.1 forever because i don't believe the EULA will be changed.

Really, I'm an optimist.

I was hoping that all our liquid and vinegar might actually move the needle, and force TT to edit that down to a "Stand alone game" EULA that we find acceptable. 

Just now, ZooNamedGames said:

I just don't see the return on the investment of bug testing, developing, QnAing a "purchase" screen in KSP as opposed to managing a webpage. Vastly more complex. It's how Squad has managed all extra content like the forum and the official mod hosting sites for years. Why change something that isn't broken.

Things change. Clearly.

1 minute ago, Brainlord Mesomorph said:

Really, I'm an optimist.

I was hoping that all our liquid and vinegar might actually move the needle, and force TT to edit that down to a "Stand alone game" EULA that we find acceptable. 

They definitely should have put a bit more effort into making the EULA more relevant to the currrent state of KSP,  but doing it this way was probably quicker.  Or they have plans for it going forward that need these things agreed to.  Costume packs for Kerbals or something.  Maybe I shouldn't give them ideas.

5 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

There is a third group in there ... we are a small one which is why it is easy to overlook us (even though it was one of us who started this thread :rolleyes:)

We're the group that just wants to know what is actually happening, gathering data on the subject and asking questions ... not many of us here it looks like

My apologies to all members of the third group which i inconsideratly overlooked and thank you for raising the $64,000 dollar question which started the heated debate.

2 hours ago, Brainlord Mesomorph said:

Why?!

I want TT to worry.

I want them to be shocked at the speed and intensity of our rejection of their invasion of our privacy.

I want them to have to re-think their sales projections, with the word "boycott" in mind.

I want them to change that EULA. Now.

Or at least keep the KSP EULA separate from the other games they ruined

If I was the CEO of T2, and I found out that the legal department released a EULA for one of my games that wasn't greatly permissive for me to extract as much future income as legally possible in as many different ways as possible, and wasn't at the same time built like a brick fortress against any and all possible claims, I would instantly fire the employee responsible. By playing the game, you agree to abide by my rules, or go find another game to play. This would be my stance if I was the CEO of T2.

3 minutes ago, Gorman said:

If I was the CEO of T2, and I found out that the legal department released a EULA for one of my games that wasn't greatly permissive for me to extract as much future income as legally possible in as many different ways as possible, and wasn't at the same time built like a brick fortress against any and all possible claims, I would instantly fire the employee responsible. By playing the game, you agree to abide by my rules, or go find another game to play. This would be my stance if I was the CEO of T2.

Then accept low profits.

4 hours ago, mostlydave said:

Which 2 addresses did you add for KSP?

7 hours ago, Johnny Wishbone said:

For those of you up in arms about RedShell tracking you, simply block the following domains at your firewall or in your hosts file:

api.redshell.io

in.treasuredata.com

Very clever on their part naming the company RedShell. That way, a Google search for things like "block redshell" and "redshell tracking" just turns up a bunch of links on  MarioKart and little to nothing on them. 

5 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

Then accept low profits.

You can literally be sued by stockholders if they feel you are deliberately not making as much money as possible.

Regardless, as to whether the EULA would permit them to sweep for your personal info instead of merely storing what is voluntarily sent for things like microtransactions... my suspicion is that would not hold up in court. It would also be an utter PR disaster for them.

If you want to be really sure, either reject the license terms, send Take Two notification thereof, and cease to use the licensed software, or hire a lawyer. And not a lawyer with a degree from Google University.

1 minute ago, Starman4308 said:

You can literally be sued by stockholders if they feel you are deliberately not making as much money as possible.

Regardless, as to whether the EULA would permit them to sweep for your personal info instead of merely storing what is voluntarily sent for things like microtransactions... my suspicion is that would not hold up in court. It would also be an utter PR disaster for them.

If you want to be really sure, either reject the license terms, send Take Two notification thereof, and cease to use the licensed software, or hire a lawyer. And not a lawyer with a degree from Google University.

It would be but it would not be a PR problem if a hacker or rouge employee did it now would it

It would be but it would not be a PR problem if a hacker or rouge employee did it now would it

It would still be a PR problem. Best guess is everything's locked down in an encrypted server to which few people have access, specifically to minimize any risk of a data breach.

If they are sloppy about data protection, there's a good chance they'd be on the hook for damages.

1 minute ago, Starman4308 said:

It would still be a PR problem. Best guess is everything's locked down in an encrypted server to which few people have access, specifically to minimize any risk of a data breach.

If they are sloppy about data protection, there's a good chance they'd be on the hook for damages.

Right because Nobody has ever been hacked on a super secure network before. And NO THE EULA SAYS YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE if they get hacked.

10 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

Right because Nobody has ever been hacked on a super secure network before. And NO THE EULA SAYS YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE if they get hacked.

I want to thank you for de-legitimizing the purpose of this thread (notice the sarcasm?)

By dragging your conspiracy theories and uninformed position into this discussion you have completely de-legitimized the concerns raised here

Bravo ... Good for you ... Thank you so much for making a legitimate inquiry into a farce :confused:

Edited by DoctorDavinci

1 minute ago, DoctorDavinci said:

I want to thank you for delegitimizing the purpose of this thread (notice the sarcasm?)

By dragging your conspiracy theories and uninformed position into this discussion you have completely delegitimized the concerns raised here

Bravo ... Good for you ... Thank you so much for making a legitimate inquiry into a farce :confused:

How have I delegitimised this thread. 

That bit of the EULA is likely going to get torn to shreds unless Take Two demonstrates that they put a good faith effort into securing the data.

It's also no different from Papa John's pizza storing my credit card info for easy checkout. 

7 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

How have I delegitimised this thread. 

9 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

<snip>

By dragging your conspiracy theories and uninformed position into this discussion you have completely de-legitimized the concerns raised here

<snip>

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.