Does KSP really have spyware in it?

DoctorDavinci

2 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

What conspiracy theories. 

I've highlighted a risk that isn't a conspiracy theory.

The thread author clearly does not share that opinion, and in this case, I feel you've derailed it long enough with paranoid suspicions that if the thread author wants the rails put back on, he has that right.

11 minutes ago, Starman4308 said:

The thread author clearly does not share that opinion, and in this case, I feel you've derailed it long enough with paranoid suspicions that if the thread author wants the rails put back on, he has that right.

15 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

What conspiracy theories. 

I've highlighted a risk that isn't a conspiracy theory.

True ... However I am not detracting from the concerns raised by the above user, only trying to make it clear that his EULA concerns are better suited in the EULA thread as this thread is meant as an inquiry into what information is being sent and not what the EULA says about it

This is what I mean by derailing and de-legitimizing this thread

Edited by DoctorDavinci

@Vanamonde - Would you kindly lock this thread as it appears that no matter what it keeps reverting to either personal attacks on ones character or it keeps getting derailed by those who wish to address an issue that, although related, has no bearing on the purpose of this thread ... Please see my reasoning below

1- We now have some answers ...
2- We also know that Squad (and by proxy, T2) are well aware of the concerns raised by myself and others in regards to the content of the information that they are having KSP send back to them
3- Further discussion and speculation is no longer required in this matter as the cat is out of the bag and I am quite confident that we will have an official response in the coming days
4- Keeping this thread open is just an invitation for more personal attacks and conflagration of the issues at hand which is a detriment to honest inquiry

I therefore humbly ask that this thread be closed

DD

3 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

@vanamonde and @doctordavinci, before it's locked, or even after, I'd still like to hear an official statement from somebody at squad. 

Lets hope this is the case, however closing this thread is the best course of action for the reasons posted above

• 1 year later...

well as I read this,

A:they should have used spellchecker for a more realistic effect.

B: the article clearly states if ksp were to use any info::"In the event we offer services or promotions where your personal information is separately collected and used according to the privacy policy of a third party, we will inform you of that at the time of collection and you may elect not to participate in the service or promotion."

C: the use of other platform that have your data and share it, is the source they site, "When you use Facebook Connect, OpenID or another multisite ID to log in to an Online Service, those ID services will authenticate your identity and provide you the option to share certain personal information with us to pre-populate our sign up form. Depending on your account settings, multisite IDs may also provide other information to us. Please check the terms of those services before using them to log into an Online Service." 

So as per this article. other vendors are the source of the info <<photo, friends>,. this would not qualify as spyware, but rather data sharing of info, given to other vendors, authorized by you and your social network.

advise drop the social networks and keep the data to yourself, they are not secretly stealing it without your knowledge. as far as I can detect

as per "what is spyware"=Spyware is software that aims to gather information about a person or organization without their knowledge.

GL hope this eases your mind,

you can play KSP offline and share nothing. including how many actual hours you have played

Jammer-TD

points of concern:
- hosted on a geocities clone
- serious mid-nineties internet vibe to the whole site
- submissions for updates and other content through email posted in plain text on the site

arguments for:
- seems to believe in what he's writing.

arguments against:
- the ... "excrement" tier for browsers
- no real "about us" page, which includes credentials, and statements of philosophy
- the argument that the software is closed source, made in the case of KSP and other software, means it is highly suspect
- the contact email address is in plain text in multiple locations through out the site. despite the heavily implied concerns about privacy.
- simple restatement of the EULAs, where applicable. no real analysis

12 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

Ever since the Redshell controversy, I've been seeing more and more articles claiming Kerbal Space Program is spyware. I recently found this article, which is extremely worrying. I'd like to hear others' opinions on this subject to put my mind at rest, and am I really risking my privacy by playing KSP?

The EULA allows it and now if you have accepted the new EULA released on the 15th of March you can not sue them but must use an arbitration process. Back during the redshell controversy some people tracked the outgoing communications and found their was not anything particularly bad. That being said this was awhile ago. 

9 minutes ago, Tweeker said:

Now they are forcing me to agree to an EULA to keep playing a game that I already own.

No, not at all. Nobody's forcing you. You can still play 1.3.1 for example.

Edited by Dafni

10 hours ago, steuben said:

points of concern:
- hosted on a geocities clone
- serious mid-nineties internet vibe to the whole site

This. I mean honestly, how do people even find pages that look like crazy conspiracy websites from two decades ago?

3 hours ago, Tweeker said:

Now they are forcing me to agree to an EULA to keep playing a game that I already own.

That's literally every game you buy.  I don't agree with it either, but it's not just KSP.  Heck.  That bluray you bought?  That's just a license to watch that movie in private when a specified number of people.  We don't actually own any of the media we buy anymore.  At least not according to the companies who make them.

What's a Bluray? ;)

I really wouldn't be concerned as everything you do is probably being tracked by the Chinese government or the CIA or something.

If you have a concern with KSP outgoing connection (not required for game, though some mods may use internet connection), just block it in Windows firewall.

Scroll to the bottom of that article.

"This article was last updated on 5/30/2018"

So, it was last touched about 2 months after the whole "KSP is spyware! Oh noes! Redshell!1!!!1!eleventy!!1!" nonsense started and subsequently died off.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.