KSP Loading...Preview: Part Repairs

St4rdust

Kerbonauts! Have you, by accident, broken or damaged some parts of your vessel while exploring? Part Repairs will be available on the 1.11 update! Keep building, riding, and... repairing to complete exploration missions. P.S. Jeb and Val, pay more attention while riding on Duna!

Unlocked. :) 

This is awesome! (and it explains the name...)

The stock inventory system looks like it has a %full and stackable items (at least kits) now.

I would almost predict stock KIS in this as well- the work lights now make a little more sense but would be quite practical if there was some sort of building that could be done.

Edited by Clamp-o-Tron

2 minutes ago, GrandProtectorDark said:

I mean, repairing wheels had always been possible.

Yeah, this isn't exactly new, but it is an improvement over the current part repair system, which is basically just 'click to repair'. With this, you actually have to plan ahead and bring repair kits along with you in case you accidentally break something.

1 minute ago, computercat04 said:

This is great! But do I need Breaking Ground for the inventory?

Just now, Clamp-o-Tron said:

It's stock so that modders can potentially use it, but only the deployable lights use it in stock w/o DLC.

Yeah, the BG inventory system is apparently being enabled in stock:

Good start, although i really hope that one day KSP will come out with a method of detach/attach parts (like KIS) which is stock and very simple to allow us to make minor craft adjustments in space (would be best if it supported the offset/rotate things which KIS doesnt).  That way we can finally have actual space construction and dont get me started on how many times ive forgotted  docking port or batteries on my ships only to have to bring a ship which has the needed stuff on a klaw which is then bolted onto the main vessel that was missing said items.  If we can get KIS like function in bone stock itd be really neat (provided its not super buggy ofc :)).

So, if I may, few small questions, how exactly does this interact with the existing engineer skills and abilities? Does the engineer still need to be level 3 (meaning they must have, at minimum, planted a flag on both the Mun and Minmus and orbited the sun) and now on top of that have a repair kit to change a tire? Perhaps instead does the repair kit enable an engineer of any level (or lower level than typically required) to perform a repair? After the repair is finished in the video above, the Kerbal seems to be missing his EVA maneuvering pack, so is this something we are only expected to be able to do while landed (given how difficult and part intensive it can be to navigate by ladders in zero g and the fact that we don't have EVA tethers)? Does repacking chutes require a kit as well or is it just replacing tires? Are other classes of parts which already have damage states (solar panels, antenna, deployable radiators) becoming repairable where currently they were not? Are damage states on landing legs being reimplemented? Seems that got turned off back in 1.1 with the new suspension model, which means between now and then, the level two feature on engineers has done nothing. Are repair kits stackable in the inventory? The demo video shows clearing a requirement of "three repair kits needed" without going back and forth to the container and the inventory has a number spot that could denote quantity as well as what looks like an internal volume constraint which could not be met by the 5 L a single repair kit seems to take up.

13 minutes ago, panzer1b said:

Good start, although i really hope that one day KSP will come out with a method of detach/attach parts (like KIS) which is stock and very simple to allow us to make minor craft adjustments in space (would be best if it supported the offset/rotate things which KIS doesnt).  That way we can finally have actual space construction and dont get me started on how many times ive forgotted  docking port or batteries on my ships only to have to bring a ship which has the needed stuff on a klaw which is then bolted onto the main vessel that was missing said items.

I will second this motion. I forgot docking ports, so I sent up a craft with a claw, and docked it, this craft had ports, but isn't as effective as I want it to be.

1 minute ago, Lewie said:

Very nice! Certainly does look like we’ll be getting a stock form of kAS. Can’t wait to see what’s next.

KAS and KIS would be nice to have on Xbox, or PC...... Lucky PC players..... console is like the orphan who sees a kid with his family with this game sometimes. Just because it is behind some. Not complaining though, just got put all the way up to 1.10!!!

15 minutes ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

Finally I actually need Bill

I know, its gonna be weird hauling him around now. Guess he'll go where Val usually sits (Commanders seat in Mk3) Jeb sits in the Pilot, and the others are in the front Jumpseats)

50 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Yeah, this isn't exactly new, but it is an improvement over the current part repair system, which is basically just 'click to repair'. With this, you actually have to plan ahead and bring repair kits along with you in case you accidentally break something.

So really would like to know... what part of this is "new feature" as opposed to "adding a new requirement to something we could already do"?

1 minute ago, Jarin said:

So really would like to know... what part of this is "new feature" as opposed to "adding a new requirement to something we could already do"?

It really depends if you're able to repair parts that weren't repairable before, like antennas, solar panels and radiators. If not, then this is just adding a new requirement to an existing feature.

@St4rdust can you tell us if we'll be able to repair solar panels/antennas/radiators with this?

To answer a few questions in this thread:
1. It adjusts the existing system - Engineers don't need to be level 3, you just need the part repair kit
2. This applies to other parts that are breakable, like solar panels and antennas.
3.  It uses the inventory system that was released with BG, and there will be storage options available in stock.

Edited by Maxsimal

Just now, Maxsimal said:

1. It adjusts the existing system - Engineers don't need to be level 3, you just need the part repair kit
2. This applies to other parts that are breakable, like solar panels
3.  It uses the inventory system that was released with BG, and there will be storage options available in stock.

Thanks for the update!

50 minutes ago, Maxsimal said:

2. This applies to other parts that are breakable, like solar panels and antennas.

Will there be more parts that can break? Like engines or control surfaces?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.