KSP Loading...Preview: Part Repairs

St4rdust

It'd be neat if this feature could be toggled on/off by a radio button in the Custom Difficulty Settings similar to CommNet and Kerbals Levelling Up Immediately, something like: Radio Toggle - Engineers Require Consumables to Repair Parts.

This kind of game design could be extended to Scientists too, they could require 'Science Kits' to perform a certain amount of research (Data MITs) in the Research Lab part. This way you would have a reason to do resupply missions to your research stations to ensure they keep generating research, CRS style. I think that could be really cool.

I can't wait to see what design paths SQUAD take this down to extend gameplay.

24 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

This way you would have a reason to do resupply missions to your research stations to ensure they keep generating research, CRS style.

I think you kinda do now, as data gets "consumed" during research, so you have to resupply the lab with new experiments, but it's kinda the other way round - you provide science you got in space, not launch the equipment from Kerbin. Though at default settings it is a very slow process. Slow enough, that I barely landed on Moho with a tiny probe, my experiment storage still has plenty of data in it, and I not only have already finished the tech tree, but even without grinding I have over 3000 science points to spare.

Edited by The Aziz

@Poodmund It does get consumed. The conversion rate of data into science is one-to-one.

When a science experiment is consumed into the lab, its science value is converted into data. The exact details can be configured in ModuleScienceLab and ModuleScienceConverter. The stock lab has a base multiplier of 5, along with a bonus of 10% for being landed on a surface, a bonus of 25% for being in the same SoI that the experiment data originated from, and a penalty multiplier of 0.1 for being landed on the homeworld (Kerbin). This means that a mobile lab in orbit of Minmus which processes an experiment from Minmus' SoI which is worth 20 science will generate 125 points of data (five times, plus 25% SoI bonus). This data is then, over time, converted back into 125 points of science.

The speed of the conversion depends on settings in the aforementioned modules, as well as on the level of the scientists working in the lab, and amount of data stored in the lab. The more is stored, the faster the conversion process runs. Over time, as it consumes data, it slows down - unless you keep it topped up.

Edited by Streetwind

@Streetwind, thank you for that, I've never experienced it running out so it must have been that the experiments I've delivered to labs have always been of a high enough science value with a fully staffed lab that it's never gotten to the point of depletion.

Every day is a school day.

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

As already two new features are revealed, probably next several days it will be released.

Maybe even one Earth turn.

You think two new features is all that's coming in this update? ;)

Better watch this space for a few days longer...

23 hours ago, GrandProtectorDark said:

I mean, repairing wheels had always been possible.
But I do really hope that repairing solar panels and radiators becomes a thing.
Way too easy to accidentally break them when on EVA

I think this will be applied to all parts that can be broken without actually destroyed.

1 minute ago, qwerbo said:

I think this will be applied to all parts that can be broken without actually destroyed.

Indeed:

22 hours ago, Maxsimal said:

To answer a few questions in this thread:
1. It adjusts the existing system - Engineers don't need to be level 3, you just need the part repair kit
2. This applies to other parts that are breakable, like solar panels and antennas.
3.  It uses the inventory system that was released with BG, and there will be storage options available in stock.

15 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Something I just noticed in that video - when Bill is repairing the rover's wheels, he doesn't have a thruster pack on, only some kind of backpack. When he uses the repair kits, this backpack disappears.

Also, he doesn't have the parachute! Could this mean we can remove/hide the ugly backpack in space and other planets than Kerbin?

On 11/19/2020 at 4:04 PM, Maxsimal said:

To answer a few questions in this thread:
1. It adjusts the existing system - Engineers don't need to be level 3, you just need the part repair kit
2. This applies to other parts that are breakable, like solar panels and antennas.
3.  It uses the inventory system that was released with BG, and there will be storage options available in stock.

21 minutes ago, KingKerb said:

Awesome! Will it be possible to repair solar panels?

yes, see above quote

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.