KSP Loading...Preview: Part Repairs

St4rdust

1 hour ago, Maxsimal said:

To answer a few questions in this thread:
1. It adjusts the existing system - Engineers don't need to be level 3, you just need the part repair kit

In this case, apart from repacking Parachutes and changing the Harvester rate, why would you need Engineers to exceed past Level 1 now? Will their Level 2 and Level 3 traits be changed to reflect the new mechanic as it makes Engineer's experience a bit redundant.

Will higher level engineers use less 'stuff' from kits to repair parts (i.e. a low level engineer uses up a whole kit to repair a wheel, but a L5 engineer can repair 2 wheels with the same amount of duct-tape repair kit)?

Edited by NoMrBond

43 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

In this case, apart from repacking Parachutes and changing the Harvester rate, why would you need Engineers to exceed past Level 1 now? Will their Level 2 and Level 3 traits be changed to reflect the new mechanic as it makes Engineer's experience a bit redundant.

Just like scientists and pilots.

Pilots, after visiting multiple worlds, can do what one of the cheapest probe cores + an untrained astronaut in any field can do.

Scientists, after visiting multiple worlds, get you a smidgen more science per experiment run so you can finish the tech tree with 7 Minmus biomes instead of 8. Except you probably already did that.

Engineers at least ARE useful to level up.

Edited by Superfluous J

Where does it say that solar panels can be repaired? All I see is that some parts can be fixed, just like Engineers can do right now, which I assume is landing gear and wheels. it looks like a fun addition but until I see confirmation from Squad I'm not going to assume solar panels can be fixed.

6 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

Where does it say that solar panels can be repaired? All I see is that some parts can be fixed, just like Engineers can do right now, which I assume is landing gear and wheels. it looks like a fun addition but until I see confirmation from Squad I'm not going to assume solar panels can be fixed.

3 hours ago, Maxsimal said:

To answer a few questions in this thread:
1. It adjusts the existing system - Engineers don't need to be level 3, you just need the part repair kit
2. This applies to other parts that are breakable, like solar panels and antennas.
3.  It uses the inventory system that was released with BG, and there will be storage options available in stock.

22 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

Where does it say that solar panels can be repaired?

Here; Maxsimal is the product manager lead designer for KSP, I think:

3 hours ago, Maxsimal said:

2. This applies to other parts that are breakable, like solar panels and antennas.

Edited by HebaruSan

4 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

Ugh... like a dozen posts into the thread. Why didn't they state those obvious questions right when posted? I know, I know... Squad is software company, don't expect any marketing experience from them. But still...

56 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

Ugh... like a dozen posts into the thread. Why didn't they state those obvious questions right when posted? I know, I know... Squad is software company, don't expect any marketing experience from them. But still...

I did find it odd that the only thing they showed in the video was something we could do for years now.

Seems like it'd be cooler AND more informative if the wheel had broken, flipped the rover which broke a solar panel and the antenna. Not like any of us have every had THAT problem before.

1 hour ago, Kerbart said:

I know, I know... Squad is software company, don't expect any marketing experience from them. But still...

Oof. I forget the story, though, did Squad completely abandon their marketing business to go all in on KSP? Or is that still the business they're in, and the team there working on KSP is just a part of the company?

Edited by RyanRising

2 minutes ago, RyanRising said:

Oof. I forget the story, though, did Squad completely abandon their marketing business to go all in on KSP? Or is that still the business they're in, and the team there working on KSP is just a part of the company?

They were sold to Take Two, so there's no longer any involvement of the original marketing company. Still, you'd expect a little bit more care on such posts. Or maybe that's just me overthinking it. I work at a large corporation where nothing goes public that hasn't been seen by at least a dozen eyeballs.

Thought:

How about if Engineers could convert a part to X kits, with some loss. So you break a wheel, your engineer could dismantle your science Jr to repair it. Higher level engineers can make more repair kits from each part. Bonus: This would integrate into the base game the usability (if not the fun) of the Kaboom! mod.

9 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

So you break a wheel, your engineer could dismantle your science Jr to repair it. Higher level engineers can make more repair kits from each part.

This is nice, but could snowball quickly into a complex game of resource management (which some folks wouldn't mind.)  Mine resources, refine into building blocks like copper/aluminum/glass, then construct "Science Jr."  But when you break that item back down into its components - it didn't contain any rubber, so you wouldn't get what you need to repair a rubber wheel ;) 

33 minutes ago, basic.syntax said:

This is nice, but could snowball quickly into a complex game of resource management (which some folks wouldn't mind.)  Mine resources, refine into building blocks like copper/aluminum/glass, then construct "Science Jr."  But when you break that item back down into its components - it didn't contain any rubber, so you wouldn't get what you need to repair a rubber wheel ;) 

I'd love to say the game could account for that but I don't want more resources than we have right now. This is a spaceflight simulator not a resource management game. I'm cool with "the engineer figured out how to fix the tire with the stuff from the Science Jr, especially if the loss is significant.

I really hope that since we now have official repair kits, in the future we'll be able to repair more parts than what is already available. This would be a great opportunity to implement a more detailed "damage scale" to parts. Much like the current repairable items, instead of having an impact go from "Not a scratch!" straight to "This thing is filled with TNT!" we could have a stage in the middle where the part is just simply damaged, and needs repair before continuing usage.

6 hours ago, mor128 said:

Will there be more parts that can break? Like engines or control surfaces?

Only brave and optimistic person could trust in a manually patched engine or wing credibility irl...

I guess, only minor, non-critical parts should stay repairable.

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Only brave and optimistic person could trust in a manually patched engine or wing credibility irl...

I guess, only minor, non-critical parts should stay repairable.

Yes, but these are Kerbals. Patch that booster and punch the throttle!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.