KSP Loading...Preview: Part Repairs

St4rdust

If it isn't a thing already, I hope kerbals can carry and place the work lights in their inventory

On 11/20/2020 at 12:17 AM, Kerbart said:

Ugh... like a dozen posts into the thread. Why didn't they state those obvious questions right when posted? I know, I know... Squad is software company, don't expect any marketing experience from them. But still...

Actually, SQUAD was a marketing company before they started making KSP so...

55 minutes ago, The Dressian Exploder said:

If it isn't a thing already, I hope kerbals can carry and place the work lights in their inventory

Actually, SQUAD was a marketing company before they started making KSP so...

Yes.  ...but I think the company was divided into two departments and is now just a software company.  I doubt many of the marketing people are still there.  Not to defend their marketing prowess.  I've definitely criticized at times.

Meh not so much a fan of having to carry repair kits to fix stuff. I mean inventory system and stuff sure cool. Also fixing solar panels super cool. But having to have consumables to repair Is a little less so IMO.

6 hours ago, qzgy said:

Meh not so much a fan of having to carry repair kits to fix stuff. I mean inventory system and stuff sure cool. Also fixing solar panels super cool. But having to have consumables to repair Is a little less so IMO.

Extensive repairs should cost you something, which game mechanic you would use?

I am guessing/hoping we will be able to repair more stuff in the future, how would you balance that?

12 hours ago, qzgy said:

As of now there is no game mechanic that requires you to do resupply missions. This gives you a reason, and opens the door to more possibilities

On 11/19/2020 at 11:12 PM, panzer1b said:

Good start, although i really hope that one day KSP will come out with a method of detach/attach parts (like KIS) which is stock and very simple to allow us to make minor craft adjustments in space (would be best if it supported the offset/rotate things which KIS doesnt).  That way we can finally have actual space construction and dont get me started on how many times ive forgotted  docking port or batteries on my ships only to have to bring a ship which has the needed stuff on a klaw which is then bolted onto the main vessel that was missing said items.  If we can get KIS like function in bone stock itd be really neat (provided its not super buggy ofc :)).

kis does support offset and rotate

7 hours ago, snkiz said:

As of now there is no game mechanic that requires you to do resupply missions. This gives you a reason, and opens the door to more possibilities

I dont disagree with either of those statements, but for myself personally I play almost exclusively sandbox (never really fell in love with career). So for my purposes I dont really care to do resupply missions and its more of an annoyance if I have to remember to bring some random consumable for my rover as a "backup" instead of bringing along just an extra kerbal.

Sure leave the mechanic in, but I'd personally try to turn it off asap.

13 hours ago, Boyster said:

Extensive repairs should cost you something, which game mechanic you would use?

I am guessing/hoping we will be able to repair more stuff in the future, how would you balance that?

These feel a bit like loaded questions but whatever. I dont disagree extensive repairs should cost something and that this mechanic of consumables is a good way of both somewhat balancing and "accounting for that". In the current game thats from the engineer level which I think is fine as it is. But again, for my playstyle ehhh I'd rather not worry or be limited by constraints like "needing a consumable to fix my stuff that broke because I was dumb 10 years into a mission"

I think there is a point to be made about similarity to life support, you shouldn't be able to leave a kerbal in a chair for 30 years, which game mechanic would you use? I dont think you can get a valuable discussion since the mechanics dont exist as it wasn't a consideration within the base game (kerbal is only somewhat realistic).

That was a bit rambly but anyways maybe that made some sense.

28 minutes ago, qzgy said:

I think there is a point to be made about similarity to life support,

Your are of course completely right. Where do you draw the line? And what about sandbox players that don't care? This same system could be used to implement something like snacks. Gives you the idea of life support without to much complexity. Sure make them togglable just like com-net and g forces and re-entry heating. Kerbal is not a simulation, but career mode mechanics haven't had love in a long time. Thing is we already have a perfectly functional sandbox mode, where you can turn off just about every restriction in the game, The worst that could come from the repair kit for a sandbox player is another thing they have to turn off once in settings. And really it can only be a benefit, because they will allow you to repair the things you couldn't before that are none the less breakable.

Edited by snkiz

6 hours ago, qzgy said:

That was a bit rambly but anyways maybe that made some sense.

It made a lot of a sense, hopefully in the future we will get more usage from this system and maybe...gulp...maybe...an optional light life support system :science:

Edited by Boyster

I see no problem with that. It's just one more thing to remember to bring, like antenna or RCS thrusters. Here you just have to remember to take that small storage with you and put some stuff in it.

Sure you can turn off commnet and dock using only main engine.

Alright better example: what if you forget to bring an engineer? You could say that is part of the preflight checklist, but so is storage, just have to get used to it.

People have been complaining that there is no reason to build more rockets if they don't have science equipment or crew, now there is one. I hope that's a beginning of a real ground expansion with actual base parts and mechanics.

10 hours ago, The Aziz said:

I see no problem with that. It's just one more thing to remember to bring, like antenna or RCS thrusters. Here you just have to remember to take that small storage with you and put some stuff in it.

Sure you can turn off commnet and dock using only main engine.

Alright better example: what if you forget to bring an engineer? You could say that is part of the preflight checklist, but so is storage, just have to get used to it.

People have been complaining that there is no reason to build more rockets if they don't have science equipment or crew, now there is one. I hope that's a beginning of a real ground expansion with actual base parts and mechanics.

I agree with this 100%. But people have a point - giving the option in the settings like "repair kits required-on/off" would ease the game to new players who may get overwhelmed, and give more freedom to sandbox players who might get frustrated over accidentally breaking a solar panel, on a huge craft that wouldn't even be feasible when playing realistically.

To cap it off: IMO this a great feature, but I hope there will be an option to turn it off in the  difficulty settings.

Sure. But a lot of people would like to have everything optional. Commnet was made optional to not break people's saves, in case someone's probe lose signal and is lost forever. Who knows, if it was part of the game from the very beginning, maybe the only way to turn it off would be cheat menu, near "infinite propellant" etc. Same thing could happen with repair kits, if somehow they were added years ago.

New players could see this as integral part of the game, just like heating and many other mechanics, I don't think that counts as "overwhelming".

And my, solar panels were not possible to repair until now, and you propose that you should have it without any effort because of this feature being optional?

I get it, it's a sandbox game, but even that should have some restrictions. The new system, while requiring few more steps (starting from literally five clicks, depending on storage capacity) is an improvement, overhaul of the repair system and should be treated as such.

It's not that hard.

2 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Sure. But a lot of people would like to have everything optional. Commnet was made optional to not break people's saves, in case someone's probe lose signal and is lost forever. Who knows, if it was part of the game from the very beginning, maybe the only way to turn it off would be cheat menu, near "infinite propellant" etc. Same thing could happen with repair kits, if somehow they were added years ago.

New players could see this as integral part of the game, just like heating and many other mechanics, I don't think that counts as "overwhelming".

And my, solar panels were not possible to repair until now, and you propose that you should have it without any effort because of this feature being optional?

I get it, it's a sandbox game, but even that should have some restrictions. The new system, while requiring few more steps (starting from literally five clicks, depending on storage capacity) is an improvement, overhaul of the repair system and should be treated as such.

It's not that hard.

Good point. Now that you say it, I can't really defend making it optional :P

But thinking that way, I really don't see any reason for the re-entry heating being toggleable. Ah well, I guess it doesn't matter that much. It's just a game afterall :)

On 11/25/2020 at 12:30 PM, Just a random person said:

really don't see any reason for the re-entry heating being toggleable.

The reason was, it was introduced late in the development cycle and people were used to it not being there.

I personally love it but I still sometimes miss the days of coming in straight down on Kerbin or Eve from interplanetary speeds and landing with no other issues.

Edited by Superfluous J

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.