Extreme lag when panning around with the mouse when flying (Linux, Modded)

Aloha !

I am suffering extreme lag (down under 3 FPS) when panning around the view with my mouse while flying in the atmosphere. Panning with the arrows keys doesn't cause such a massive drop (there is still a slight drop in FPS, by something like 5 to 10, negligible). I'm pretty surprised, given that my hardware is perfectly suited to play KSP (I run almost all latest games smoothly at 60FPS, including RDR2 or AC Valhalla), and I don't remember having this issue in the past. My average FPS is around 50 while flying in the atmosphere, 60 anywhere else. The plane I've been using is rather small, 20 parts or so.  The same lag spikes also happens when I'm in space (on rails) and I bring back Kerbin in the viewport (but not when Kerbin is either entirely out or in the viewport).

That led me to think that heavy lag spikes occurs whenever large areas of Kerbin are suddenly displayed or hidden, like by panning around in flight or bringing back Kerbin in view.  Small movements are most of the time unaffected, and using the keys moves the view slower, making terrain being shown in view at a slower rate.

I may try reproducing this later on Windows. I have the following setup:

• GPU : Nvidia GTX 1660TI - 6gb VRAM
  • CPU : i5 9400H
  • RAM : 24 gb (one 8gb and one 16gb)
  • Some visual mods are installed : Scatterer,  Scatterer Sunflares, EVE, Planetshine, TUFX.

Thanks by advance for your help & consideration.

F.E.

Edited by HerrCrazi
markdown not suported

2 hours ago, HerrCrazi said:

I am suffering extreme lag (down under 3 FPS) when panning around the view with my mouse

I've encountered similar issues in the past, and it came down to Unity not liking the 1000Hz reporting rate of my mouse. Might be worth a look.
The relevant info for generic input devices can be found in the usual places (i.e.  ArchWiki), if you have a fancy gaming mouse you'll want something like piper/libratbag or an appropriate model specific configuration tool.

Scatterer,  Scatterer Sunflares, EVE, Planetshine, TUFX.

Also worth noting that scatterer performance on GNU/Linux (or OpenGL in general) sucks monkey-balls. So much so that I've given up running it, it's not worth the performance hit. Scatterer is a 50% framerate tax here, on a 1070 and a 4.3Ghz I7.
AFAIK TUFX doesn't work on OpenGL at all. At least it didn't the last time I looked, and the thread still states DX11 only. I'll be pleasantly surprised if you have evidence to the contrary though.

my hardware is perfectly suited to play KSP

Now pull the other one, it's got bells on :P

No hardware is perfectly suited to play KSP, the mostly-single-threaded cpu-crippling physics engine sees to that. Your CPU ain't bad mind, so long as it's not throttling under load... being a mobile chip and all.

Edited by steve_v

6 hours ago, steve_v said:

I've encountered similar issues in the past, and it came down to Unity not liking the 1000Hz reporting rate of my mouse. Might be worth a look.
The relevant info for generic input devices can be found in the usual places (i.e.  ArchWiki), if you have a fancy gaming mouse you'll want something like piper/libratbag or an appropriate model specific configuration tool.

Oh. My mouse is a Corsair Harpoon (forgot the exact model), but I do have a configuration tool for it working on Linux (namely, ckb-next). Should I look into changing something in there?

And there's the fact that, if Kerbin is not in view, wobbling the mouse around doesn't destroys my framerate, for it only happens when Kerbin, or parts of Kerbin, are entering the view. I'd suppose something like caching/rendering terrain that is out of the view and needs to be reloaded/reprocessed as it enters the view and needs to be rendered by the game engine.

Scatterer alone hits my performance hard, but since I can still sustain "acceptable" framerates (from 60 to 40 depending on the situation), and that large crafts around 1000 parts always results in a slideshow, even on a vanilla install, I'd rather keep it than lay my eyes once more on the astonishingly terrible stock water texture.

6 hours ago, steve_v said:

No hardware is perfectly suited to play KSP

I rather meant that it is within and above the recommended specs. Of course there is no computer on this planet being able to play KSP perfectly. This game is so heavy in resources and so terribly optimised that it would require an infinite processing power ; or at least extremely expensive hardware to flawlessly cover most of the scenarios encountered by players who pushes the game farther than the standard, moderately sized spaceship on rails.

7 hours ago, HerrCrazi said:

Should I look into changing something in there?

Assuming that mouse has adjustable polling rate, and a quick poke about suggests it does, lower it from the default 1000Hz to 500 or 250.  I can't tell you whether ckb-next supports changing this as I don't have any compatible hardware, looks like there are instructions in the ckb-daemon manual.

7 hours ago, HerrCrazi said:

if Kerbin is not in view, wobbling the mouse around doesn't destroys my framerate, for it only happens when Kerbin, or parts of Kerbin, are entering the view.

Like I said, it's just something to try. 
It might have nothing to do with it, but it doesn't hurt to try and it sounds exactly like what I was seeing when I switched from a classic intellimouse to a SteelSeries Sensei. Reducing polling rate to 250Hz solved the problem  here. Reports of high polling rates causing issues are not without precedent on the 'net at large either.
If you have one laying around,  another quick test would be to switch to a generic non-gaming mouse and see if it improves the situation.

Other than that, yeah, your machine should run KSP fine. Testing without mods is of course also worthwhile.

Edited by steve_v

I have tested again, on Windows, having AVP installed on top of EVE, and the issue did not appear there. In both cases I have also tested with a generic ultra-cheap desktop mouse and noted no improvement on Linux (the Corsair mouse was unplugged and ckb was disabled and stopped before launching the game). I shall try reinstalling my graphics mods on Linux.

Oh, should've mentioned that I have freshly reinstalled my graphics drivers (using nvidia-drivers-455, the latest).

• 4 months later...

Updates on this issue, hence reviving this thread.

The problem seemingly disappeared using the latest version of the game and reinstalling all mods. I'll now mark it as solved, albeit I haven't been able to concretely identify the exact point of failure.

Thanks for all those who helped !

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.