Jump to content
  • 0

Flickering shadows on terrain and invisble spot on navball


Question

Hello, i've tried browsing this problem but i haven't found a solution that works for me. So i have stock KSP with both DLC's and i get these long shadows on the terrain whenever i'm close to a body (very close, it's only visible at aprox. 2000 meters or closer to the ground), specially Kerbin. I think it has to do with the sun because in the early and late hours the problem is more noticeable, so it's something about lighting. However i've tried to tweak various graphical settings and it's unaffected by it, i just keep getting these annoying flickering shadows. This problem is not visible on screenshots. I also get an invisible square on the navbal sometimes that prevent me from seeing any markers, like target, prograde, retrograde etc. This seems to happen when i do an EVA and then get back in the ship. It'll sometimes get sorted out if i keep entering and exiting the ship, but then it'll come up again randomly if i fly for long enough. This last problem does show up on screenshots so i will leave one here.
Any ideas will be really appreaciated, these are not game breaking bug but they are really annoying.

 

screenshot16.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
13 minutes ago, Kermagerd said:

Any ideas will be really appreaciated, these are not game breaking bug but they are really annoying.

Sadly this is a stock bug, you can report it here https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/25992

and this is one of the most recent discussions 

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/195975-shadow-flickering-problem/

The only known solution i am aware off is Scatterer mod, you can try that and even if you 

disable all the options and just use it for the fix for the minimum perfomance impact.

But again its up to you, for me i just wait patiently, maybe hopefully we will get the fix in the upcoming patch.

I have that navball bug as well but thankfully its not coming up often, maybe it has something to do with UI scale and resizing or even repositioning the navball might fix it.

Edited by Boyster
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
16 minutes ago, Boyster said:

Sadly this is a stock bug, you can report it here https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/25992

and this is one of the most recent discussions 

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/195975-shadow-flickering-problem/

The only known solution i am aware off is Scatterer mod, you can try that and even if you 

disable all the options and just use it for the fix for the minimum perfomance impact.

But again its up to you, for me i just wait patiently, maybe hopefully we will get the fix in the upcoming patch.

I have that navball bug as well but thankfully its not coming up often, maybe it has something to do with UI scale and resizing or even repositioning the navball might fix it.

Thank you, at least i know i'm not the only one having this issue. I'm not for installing mods so i'll just take it as it is and hope they fix it, but damn it is really annoying.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 hours ago, Kermagerd said:

Thank you, at least i know i'm not the only one having this issue. I'm not for installing mods so i'll just take it as it is and hope they fix it, but damn it is really annoying.

Yeah, its actually touching the limits of a game breaking bug,

A big problem is most of the community use older versions or visual mods, so its not  getting the full attention it needs...

Edited by Boyster
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
16 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

Well, you do you. But why not?

Mods are basically what makes KSP what it is. This a 10-yr-old game that remains fairly vibrant and relevant almost entirely because people continue making mods for it.

At no point have i denied the value of an active modding community (and a developer that listens to them). But personally i enjoy the game as it is very much, i like a consistent game expirience,  and i like to avoid as many bugs, framedrops, and corrupted savegames as possible. I did, however, end up installing Scatterer, but exclusiviley because of this absurd visual glitch. I'll uninstall the mod as soon as the game is patched.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 hours ago, Kermagerd said:

At no point have i denied the value of an active modding community (and a developer that listens to them). But personally i enjoy the game as it is very much, i like a consistent game expirience,  and i like to avoid as many bugs, framedrops, and corrupted savegames as possible. I did, however, end up installing Scatterer, but exclusiviley because of this absurd visual glitch. I'll uninstall the mod as soon as the game is patched.

OK, like I said, you do you. However, line between "mods" and "user-created patches to fix bugs" is not really a line at all. More like a Venn diagram. So if there is a mod that fixes a bug in the base game, it makes sense to me to install it even if someone "doesn't do mods".

I guess it made sense to you too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...