Maple Kerman

Kerbal Mythology

I've always thought about how the Kerbals see deities and other religious/mythological figures, and there isn't really much to go by in the game other than Moho and Bop.
I took it upon myself to make a chart of mythological figures that I think the Kerbals may have worshipped. (In a way, this is a continuation of this forum thread).
This is by no means a "standard" for Kerbal mythology, as I don't really expect most people to care too much about it anyway, meaning that these names and definitions are open.
However, I did think it would be cool to share my ideas in this forum post, so keep reading if you'd like to know what I came up with.
You are free to use this "model" of Kerbal Mythology for anything you want, these are just cool ideas I have (e.g., naming your ships, your missions, Kopernicus planets, etc.).

I decided to model the deities after Greek and Roman mythological figures (unoriginal, I know). Similar to our own solar system, I made sure that the names of the figures coincided with the celestial bodies in Kerbal Space Program that had real-world counterparts. Obviously, stock KSP has a reduced solar system, so I wouldn't be able to do it with names made only by Squad. I decided to use the names of celestial bodies found in OPM and MPE, two high-quality mods that add "kerbalized" equivalents of real-world celestial bodies into the game. The celestial bodies that these two mods add counterparts for are named after Greek and Roman gods, so I was able to match up each god with the "Kerbal" version of their name. Even after doing so, there were still a number of Greek and Roman gods that didn't have Kerbal counterparts, so I made my own names that try to maintain the same style. I ended up adding one additional god that wasn't present in any of these mods or ideas, which was Alternis, the god of change and difference, from Alternis Kerbol Rekerjiggered. I also added the Kraken.

One last thing; several of the deities have purposes or roles different from their Greek and Roman counterparts do. This is because I wanted their roles to make sense in the in-game universe.

Legend:
Green = Names made by Squad, found in the stock game.
Red = Names found in Outer Planets Mod. (Credits to @CaptRobau)
Purple = Names found in Minor Planets Expansion. (Credits to @Exo's Lab)
Black = Names made by me. Credits to @NovaSiliskofor "Alternis".

Name

Greek/Roman Equivalent

Role

Kebus

Phoebus Apollo

God of reparation and solar power

Moho

Hermes/Mercury

God of voyages, lava, and fire

Eve

Aphrodite/Venus

Goddess of passion and deceit

Duna

Ares/Mars

God of combat and explosions

Dres

Demeter/Ceres

Goddess of cycles and dullness

Jool

Zeus/Jupiter

God of the clouds

Sarnus

Cronus/Saturn

God of time warping and fate

Urlum

Uranus/Caelus

God of atmospheres and empty space

Neidon

Poseidon/Neptune

God of the oceans

Plock

Hades/Pluto

God of death and currency

Krova

Hera/Juno

Goddess of Kerbalinas and family

Vant

Hestia/Vesta

Goddess of spacecraft

Alnerva

Pallas Athena/Minerva

Goddess of wisdom and missions

Kortana

Artemis/Diana

Goddess of the wilderness

Vulko

Hephaestus/Vulcan

God of engineering and building

Bakos

Dionysus/Bacchus

God of food and celebration

Zore

Psyche/Anima

Goddess of the soul

Edas

Eros/Cupid

God of obsession

Ervo

Eris/Discordia

Goddess of confusion

Alternis

None/Janus

God of change and difference

The Kraken

None

God of chaos and destruction

Ike

Phobos/Pavor

Personification of fear and panic

Deke

Deimos/Metus

Personification of terror

Edited by Maple Kerman

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/12/2021 at 9:49 AM, Ziggy Kerman said:

Jeb, Son of the Kraken, Explorer Extraordinaire, Master of Daredevils 

Correction: Jeb, son of the Kraken, Master of Survival, Master at getting picked for mission

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.