How will Interstellar Travel /Colonization work?

OvinandRusk

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/slowerlight.php

Winchell Chung (aka Nyrath) has an excellent resource for starships of basically all kinds.

In game I suspect it will be with fusion/antimatter propulsion, with a "point and burn" kind of trajectory to accelerate to significant fractions of c, followed by the same amount of retropropulsion so you won't fly into the system at 14990000 m/s.

6 minutes ago, sir rocket said:

we just use MH and orion drives

donotgoofftopiconmetallichydrogendonotgoofftopiconmetallichydrogendonotgoofftopiconmetallishydrogenmustrestrainself

The amounts of dV needed to go interstellar on a reasonable (i.e. not 4,000 years) are beyond even the 100% fantasy numbers of metallic hydrogen, and project orion was never supposed to do this kind of thing. It, again, doesn't have enough Isp. It was meant as a way to shuttle around megatons of cargo, not as a high dV exploration vehicle.

I'm fairly confident the interstellar distances are going to be shrunk even more so than planets themselves. Sol is in fairly sparse part of the galaxy, so it wouldn't even be all that unrealistic for Kerbol to have closer neighbors. At a guess, we might be looing at 0.1ly as a target, which is reasonable for Orion-style craft, just so long as we can have full acceleration under time warp.

But yeah, an antimatter photon drive or a black hole drive would do a lot better, and at least the antimatter drive has been hinted at. I'm just saying that if we have to have an interstellar voyage, perhaps with unmanned probes, to get enough science to unlock that sort of tech, I wouldn't be upset.

15 hours ago, K^2 said:

But yeah, an antimatter photon drive or a black hole drive would do a lot better, and at least the antimatter drive has been hinted at.

Where has this been hinted at?

Edited by Kosmix1

On 11/22/2020 at 6:49 AM, Kosmix1 said:

Where has this been hinted at?

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but original trailer has a sequence of Orion-style NPP, followed by Daedalus-style fusion rocket, then some action sequence, and it leads into arrival of this ship on some distant world.

m8KmNbe.png

IDx0ZKT.png

And that last frame in particular looks a lot to me like the business end of a beam core antimatter drive.

beam-core-am-rocket-plansx.jpg

Given that inspirations of Orion and Daedalus are absolutely unmistakable on previous shots, and progression of NPP->Fusion->BCAM seems like it fits the tech tree, I think we're getting antimatter drives as end game tech.

But I'll grant you that I'm basing this on a few fuzzy shots from a pure CG trailer that's probably largely out of date, and I can't track down anything more concrete with a casual search.