[1.12.x] Cacteye 2 Refocused Full Release

linuxgurugamer

• 2 weeks later...

I'm enjoying the mod but I've run into a few issues. 

First issue:  When I click the "Process Data" button on the GUI the Science box pops up.  The issue I'm having is when I click the "Process in the Lab" icon, it doesn't send the science data to the lab.  Second issue:  Since it won't send the data to the lab, I try clicking the "Keep Experiment" icon but that doesn't work.  The only option that works is "Transmit Data".  This leads to my Third issue:  When I click the "Transmit Data" icon, it will only send the data from the internal transmitter on the probe/command pod and not the Main attached antenna on the vessel.  I even tried probes/command pods that state "Cannot Transmit Science" but it still uses the internal transmitter which is soooooooo slow.  

Which log file should I add to assist?  The only one I can find is KSP.log  :wacko:

18 hours ago, imbadman69 said:

I'm enjoying the mod but I've run into a few issues. 

First issue:  When I click the "Process Data" button on the GUI the Science box pops up.  The issue I'm having is when I click the "Process in the Lab" icon, it doesn't send the science data to the lab.  Second issue:  Since it won't send the data to the lab, I try clicking the "Keep Experiment" icon but that doesn't work.  The only option that works is "Transmit Data".  This leads to my Third issue:  When I click the "Transmit Data" icon, it will only send the data from the internal transmitter on the probe/command pod and not the Main attached antenna on the vessel.  I even tried probes/command pods that state "Cannot Transmit Science" but it still uses the internal transmitter which is soooooooo slow.  

Which log file should I add to assist?  The only one I can find is KSP.log  :wacko:

This:

Read this BEFORE asking for supporthttp://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/83212-how-to-get-support-read-first/

Okay I uninstalled all other mods and only have Cacteye and the other required mods installed.  Mod List is in the dropbox.  I'm still having the issues I've stated before/below.   I've thrown a couple screenshots in the dropbox as well as the player.log.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ehnz2c92aucuttf/AACfFZt6Afe7HIdqqj7tUSWla?dl=0

5 hours ago, imbadman69 said:

Okay I uninstalled all other mods and only have Cacteye and the other required mods installed.  Mod List is in the dropbox.  I'm still having the issues I've stated before/below.   I've thrown a couple screenshots in the dropbox as well as the player.log.

I just ran through a simple missions, all worked as expected

I assume you have a lab attached. 

Is there a Kerbal in the lab?

Is the "Process in the Lab" icon greyed out?

Edit:  If you installed via CKAN, I'm updating that now, found some errors

Edited by linuxgurugamer

@linuxgurugamerThank you for looking into this.  

I got the update from CKAN

Started a new game (Science).  The mods are the same as before.  I'm still not able to "Keep Experiment" or "Process in the Lab".  I can transmit but it still wants to use the pod's internal transmitter.  I've uploaded a vid that shows the steps I attempt.  Hopefully the quality is good enough.  If not, I added a shortcut in dropbox to a HD version (1440p Youtube). 

I've uploaded my updated player.log. 

Also to answer your questions, Lab is/was attached, Scientist is/was in the Lab, and the "Process in the Lab" was Green. 

Edited by imbadman69

Yaay, finally we have a proper Hubble! Thank you @Nertea!!!

But:

- "Baby Hubble" - while a nice idea if you have a baby Shuttle, this doesn't make much sense if you look at the original parts. FungEye was a small, simple scope with one processor mount. I propose to ask @Zorg for a permission to use their OAO-3 telescope from BDB. This has several points:

1) Original FungEye model is made after OAO-3

2) OAO-3 set has all the necessary stuff for a space telescope - including service bay, solar panels etc

3) If you install BDB alongside CactEye, you get an authentic SLV-3B launcher vehicle

- Processors don't have ModuleCargoPart

- Optical tubes have wrong orientation both in VAB and in flight. See screenshots:

VAB:

M4hy2rB.png

Flight: controlled from the tube and pointed at the Moon (KSRSS). Compare that with Navball. Note that GUI shows target position correctly. Also: "Aperature"

vqQne4c.png

Edited by biohazard15

On 1/7/2022 at 4:52 PM, biohazard15 said:

Processors don't have ModuleCargoPart

You _are_ welcome to add, or just use my mod: KSP_PartVolume.  I have too many mods to modify each individually, so rely on this mod for all my games

On 1/7/2022 at 4:52 PM, biohazard15 said:

"Baby Hubble" - while a nice idea if you have a baby Shuttle, this doesn't make much sense if you look at the original parts. FungEye was a small, simple scope with one processor mount. I propose to ask @Zorg for a permission to use their OAO-3 telescope from BDB

15 hours ago, Zorg said:

Sure happy to give permission if you want to borrow the model

Thank you @Zorg  Regardless of the license, it's always nice to ask the author, so thanks to @biohazard15 for asking.

I don't use Bdb, so am looking at the mod right now.  I see a bunch of parts in the Parts/ProbeExpansion/OAO, all of which seem to be used to make up the telescope.  Would it be ok to use all of them?

Not sure yet about how to include them, since it seems that some people will want both BDB & Cacteye installed.  My first task will be to make a patch to add the Cacteye modules to the scope, and then move on from there

Here is a patch to add the CactEyeOptics to the OAO part:

// Add CactEyeOptions to the spacedustTelescope from SpaceDust
@PART[bluedog_OAO3_PEP_instrument]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = CactEyeOptics
        isSmallOptics = false
        scienceMultiplier = 0.75
        CameraTransformName = PEP_cameraTransform
        CameraPartOwner = SpaceDust

cameraForward = 0, 1, 0
        cameraUp = 0, 1, 0
        cameraPosition = 0,1,0
    }
}

14 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Thank you @Zorg  Regardless of the license, it's always nice to ask the author, so thanks to @biohazard15 for asking.

I don't use Bdb, so am looking at the mod right now.  I see a bunch of parts in the Parts/ProbeExpansion/OAO, all of which seem to be used to make up the telescope.  Would it be ok to use all of them?

Not sure yet about how to include them, since it seems that some people will want both BDB & Cacteye installed.  My first task will be to make a patch to add the Cacteye modules to the scope, and then move on from there

Sure thing you can use all of them.

The set includes parts to make 3 different OAO models.

BDB OAOw

They each use a common probe core in the middle, the same RCS boom, tar trackers and solar panels (OAO 1 uses a b9 variant of the upper panels)

OAO-1 and OAO-2 use a common AOO-OSA "Smithson" Secondary Telescope (bluedog_OAO_SAO_instrument) at the bottom and AOO-WPE "Marquette" Ultraviolet Telescope (bluedog_OAO_WEP_instrument) at the top.

OAO-3 uses AOO-WPE "Bentham" Advanced Ultraviolet Telescope (bluedog_OAO3_PEP_instrument) at the top and AOO-MPC "Roman 3" Service Module (bluedog_OAO3_serviceModule) at the bottom.

You can leave out the OAO-1/2 specific parts if you're not interested in those.

However, I just realised there is a slight issue with you adopting this model for inclusion in Cacteye. The solar panels use a custom module ModuleBdbSymmetricalPart to enable automatic mirroring of the solar panel. It basically enables a flipped alternate mesh and suncatcher when the part is used in 2x symmetry.

You can choose to roll your own version of the module, the source is on our github. I dont know anything about the coding side so if you had any questions about it you would need to ask @Jso who takes care of that. But I expect you wouldn't have much trouble with it.

Alternatively I can export dedicated Left and Right versions of the upper and lower panels, it shouldn't be much trouble to do so and I can do that sometime in the upcoming week if that's how you would prefer it. (end user would need to be more careful with placement of each side)

Of course we could also just do a compatibility patch for BDB (in fact I will certainly do that once your configs are done), but its a huge mod and I'm sure people who just want cool telescopes would find value in a standalone version of the OAO within Cacteye.

Edited by Zorg

16 hours ago, Zorg said:

Of course we could also just do a compatibility patch for BDB (in fact I will certainly do that once your configs are done), but its a huge mod and I'm sure people who just want cool telescopes would find value in a standalone version of the OAO within Cacteye.

I posted a patch earlier, looking for some feedback on it.  I think it would be best to let it stay in the Cacteye mod, just in case things change.

I think what I'll do is create a secondary optional section, which will include all your parts.  I'll keep the same names and make sure they won't load if BDB is installed.  I'll take a look at ModuleBdbSymmetricalPart  and see what would be involved in duplicating it, probably not a lot, but that would certainly have a different name.

The idea will be that if someone installs BDB along with this, then the BDB parts will work, but if they don't then my versions will.  Keeping the same names will make it easier to add/remove mods

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 2 weeks later...

Is it intentional that the Cacteye optics are not available in the Tier 2 Science Building?   I have several Cacteye processors, gyros, processor mounts, and the service bays etc., but I have no optical tube parts.  Are they just missing in my install, or is this really the way the tech tree is laid out?   I have researched every node available in T2 Science Building, but I just do not see the telescope parts.

4 hours ago, Bit Fiddler said:

Is it intentional that the Cacteye optics are not available in the Tier 2 Science Building?   I have several Cacteye processors, gyros, processor mounts, and the service bays etc., but I have no optical tube parts.  Are they just missing in my install, or is this really the way the tech tree is laid out?   I have researched every node available in T2 Science Building, but I just do not see the telescope parts.

I assume you are using the stock tech tree?  

Both the CactEye Telescope small Optical Tube and the  CactEye Telescope Optical Tube are available in the Advanced Science Tech, which should be available after the first upgrade of the science building

If you are looking for the old parts, they've been depreciated due to the new models being available.

I just loaded the mod into a test install, the two tube are there, please verify, if you are still having problems, post a log file, modulemanager.configcache, and the entire Log folder (found the main game directory)

I have seen other telescope parts from BDB I think, but I did not see any parts named "cacteye".  I will go look closer, see what I can find.  But yes, I was looking for the old parts specifically.  I used the janitor to hide all mods other than Cacteye, and no tubes were in the list.  But I see posts talking about reusing the BDB parts for this mod.    I will just poke around and see what I can come up with.

2 hours ago, Bit Fiddler said:

I have seen other telescope parts from BDB I think, but I did not see any parts named "cacteye".  I will go look closer, see what I can find.  But yes, I was looking for the old parts specifically.  I used the janitor to hide all mods other than Cacteye, and no tubes were in the list.  But I see posts talking about reusing the BDB parts for this mod.    I will just poke around and see what I can come up with.

The new tubes are from Spacedust, used with permission.

I have an issue where neither of the telescope parts (the Fungeye and the Cacteye) appear in the VAB.  All other parts for this mod do appear.  In addition, while the parts do appear in the tech tree (and I've unlocked them), when I search for "cacteye" in the tech tree, all the cacteye parts except the Fungeye and Cacteye get highlighted.

I have all the mod dependencies installed.  I am running kerbalism and JNSQ if that makes a difference.

Thank you so much for resurrecting this mod, and thank you for any help you may have.

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Depreciated, replaced with new telescopes

Aha!  I missed that in the prior changelog; thank you for the quick reply.  I'm using the Unkerballed Start tech tree, and it looks like the new parts are far down the tech tree (and I simply didn't look far ahead enough); I'll make some edits to re-order the tree.

Ok I am still not finding the tubes.   I see 2 parts called "Cacteye optical tube", and "Cacteye small optical tube".  Are these the only tubes included in the mod? If so, there is a problem as they are only available in the third tier of the science building.  These are in "Advanced Science Tech", the second to the last node on the tree branch.   If these are the only tubes included, is my tech tree modified to move this node far later than it should be?  

What function, if any, do the tubes provide?  Could I just make a telescope with a structural part and the processors etc?  I seem to recall the old mod had the idea of having to close the lens cap if pointing toward the sun, so I am assuming this is still part of the mod and thus a real telescope tube would be needed.  And I assume the tube has some sort of marker telling the .dll that it is the actual lens, or does this function just reside entirely in the processors? 

Can I just install "Scapedust" alongside "Cacteye" and get the tubes in this way?  Sorry to be a pain but I took several contracts dealing with Cacteye, and I wanted to actually finish them rather than just dump them and move along.

and lastly, it has been a while since I did any serious 3D modeling, but I will fire up blender and make you some new models for this mod.   and while I am at it, I could maybe do models for any other mods you need.  Once I get in the 3D modeling mode doing 2 or 3 is really no different than doing 10 or 15.   I am not a texture artist however, and we would need to find someone to texture them once finished.  I can include some basic textures, and the UV maps for reference, if someone is willing to make high-quality textures.  I will see if I can get back into 3D modeling.  In the past I enjoyed it, so if I can get myself motivated to start again, I will post the results here.

Rough draft...  nothing special, trying to keep it stockalike, and therefore simple lines and not overly detailed.  If you want to press with this, we can discuss actual design and what you may want them to look like.  As a thought the textures could just re-use squad textures, this will make the mod smaller to download and smaller memory footprint.  I am sure there are textures included in the game now, that would work just fine for this.

Spoiler

Telescope%201.jpg?dl=1Telescope%202.jpg?dl=1Telescope%203.jpg?dl=1Telescope%204.jpg?dl=1

Edited by Bit Fiddler

8 hours ago, Bit Fiddler said:

Ok I am still not finding the tubes.   I see 2 parts called "Cacteye optical tube", and "Cacteye small optical tube".  Are these the only tubes included in the mod? If so, there is a problem as they are only available in the third tier of the science building.  These are in "Advanced Science Tech", the second to the last node on the tree branch.   If these are the only tubes included, is my tech tree modified to move this node far later than it should be?  

The new parts are:

Part Name Tech Required Title
spacedust-telescope-1-small advScienceTech CactEye Telescope small Optical Tube
spacedust-telescope-1  advScienceTech     CactEye Telescope Optical Tube

The old parts (deprecated) are:

Part Name Tech Required Title
tele_body2 spaceExploration FungEye Telescope Optics
tele_body largeElectrics CactEye Telescope Optical Tube

So I think I need to make the new parts match the old parts in the tech required.  I'm trying to fix another problem with alignment, should get an  update out in the next few days.  in the meantime, you can just edit the parts with the 

What function, if any, do the tubes provide?  Could I just make a telescope with a structural part and the processors etc?  I seem to recall the old mod had the idea of having to close the lens cap if pointing toward the sun, so I am assuming this is still part of the mod and thus a real telescope tube would be needed.  And I assume the tube has some sort of marker telling the .dll that it is the actual lens, or does this function just reside entirely in the processors? 

Same as the old parts

and lastly, it has been a while since I did any serious 3D modeling, but I will fire up blender and make you some new models for this mod.   and while I am at it, I could maybe do models for any other mods you need.  Once I get in the 3D modeling mode doing 2 or 3 is really no different than doing 10 or 15.   I am not a texture artist however, and we would need to find someone to texture them once finished.  I can include some basic textures, and the UV maps for reference, if someone is willing to make high-quality textures.  I will see if I can get back into 3D modeling.  In the past I enjoyed it, so if I can get myself motivated to start again, I will post the results here.

Would be great.  I put the call out a while ago, no one responded, and finally I asked  @Nertea for permission to use his models.  Would be nice to have unique ones for the mdo

Ok, unless you have any final changes you wish to make, I am going to call this tube finished.  It still needs a high quality texture made to finish off the details, and give it that true Stockalike look.

Spoiler

Telescope2.2.png?dl=1Telescope2.3.png?dl=1

Edited by Bit Fiddler

11 minutes ago, Bit Fiddler said:

Ok, unless you have any final changes you wish to make, I am going to call this tube finished.  It still needs a high quality texture made to finish off the details, and give it that true Stockalike look.

Reveal hidden contents

Telescope2.1.png?dl=1Telescope2.2.png?dl=1Telescope2.3.png?dl=1

You _knew_ I was going to ask for something.

It looks good, but what about a couple of smaller tubes, used to star sighting?

And of course, a gold or silver foil surface