[1.12.x] Cacteye 2 Refocused Full Release

linuxgurugamer

The foil surface I was planning for the base section, and possibly carbon fiber for the tube,  but that comes from the texture.   So we will need to try and find someone who knows how to do KSP texturing.  As I said I am not a texture artist, I can make something basic, but to make this look really nice we will probably want someone else to get involved.  

The smaller tubes you mean as a new part?  I had plans for more parts yes.  if you mean add some smaller tubes to this part that is easy enough.

Something like this is what you had in mind?  For textures, maybe you should find a modder who has the texture look you want, and just ping them directly and ask them for some help with the texturing.  I will try to make something, but I am sure it will not be up to the level of some of the mods on here.

Spoiler

Telescope3.1.png?dl=1Telescope3.2.png?dl=1

Edited by Bit Fiddler

4 hours ago, Bit Fiddler said:

Something like this is what you had in mind?  For textures, maybe you should find a modder who has the texture look you want, and just ping them directly and ask them for some help with the texturing.  I will try to make something, but I am sure it will not be up to the level of some of the mods on here.

Pics not showing up for me

edit: for some reason, the iPad didn’t want to show the inline, but I did see them.

‘Is you get me the  files, I can approach some of the other modders for help with the textures

Edited by linuxgurugamer

ok I can share a dropbox link.  Does that mean you are happy with this tube?  Or do you have any other requests?  Once you are satisfied with the Cacteye (CCT-1)?  I will begin working on the Fungeye (FNG-1)?   Later we can talk about the other parts.  gyros, sensor processors etc.

5 hours ago, Bit Fiddler said:

ok I can share a dropbox link.  Does that mean you are happy with this tube?  Or do you have any other requests?  Once you are satisfied with the Cacteye (CCT-1)?  I will begin working on the Fungeye (FNG-1)?   Later we can talk about the other parts.  gyros, sensor processors etc.

It’s fine to me, let’s see if anybody else has any comments.  Also, I’m trying to find someone to do the texturing, I’ll let you know when I have found someone

• 2 months later...

Long term fan of this mod, it's great to see it's still being maintained! Keep up the good work! 

I happened to capture this convergence of Duna and Jool which I thought was epic. Imagine if the Occultation Camera Processor  could suggest convergence dates vEwrAHt.png 

On 1/26/2022 at 2:54 AM, ble210 said:

I have all the mod dependencies installed.  I am running kerbalism and JNSQ if that makes a difference.

Hey @ble210,

Does this great mod work without problems with JNSQ and Kerbalism or did you had problems with it?

Edited by N3N

Any luck finding someone to help with the texturing?   If we can get somebody involved, I can work with them to finish these models up.

Also, this is supposed to work with the telescopes in BDB correct?  I have built a telescope using the BDB telescopes, and placed a processor mount and processors on it, but I never get a clickie to select the camera and use the telescope.  Am I doing something wrong?  Or do I have some mod conflict?

Edited by Bit Fiddler

On 4/19/2022 at 3:15 PM, Bit Fiddler said:

Any luck finding someone to help with the texturing?   If we can get somebody involved, I can work with them to finish these models up.

Also, this is supposed to work with the telescopes in BDB correct?  I have built a telescope using the BDB telescopes, and placed a processor mount and processors on it, but I never get a clickie to select the camera and use the telescope.  Am I doing something wrong?  Or do I have some mod conflict?

Nope, I asked a few. 

Re BDB. only bDB part listed in the patches is:    bluedog_OAO3_PEP_instrument

If there are others, then someone would need to write the patches for it, I don't have time for it right now

On 4/15/2022 at 8:54 PM, N3N said:

Hey @ble210,

Does this great mod work without problems with JNSQ and Kerbalism or did you had problems with it?

Works fine with JNSQ, but with Kerbalism, you can't complete the contracts and the telescopes provide no science (and so they are mostly aesthetic).

36 minutes ago, ble210 said:

Works fine with JNSQ, but with Kerbalism, you can't complete the contracts and the telescopes provide no science (and so they are mostly aesthetic).

Kerbalism is it's own universe, they support all the mods which work in it

36 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

It totally is its own universe (and I meant no disrespect to this mod in case I came across that way; I totally appreciate you maintaining it :) )

14 hours ago, ble210 said:

13 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

12 hours ago, ble210 said:

It totally is its own universe (and I meant no disrespect to this mod in case I came across that way; I totally appreciate you maintaining it :) )

Hey,

OK, thank you for answering this!

So it seems, we need patches, for this beautiful great mod to make it work with Kerbalism.

FYI @Sir Mortimer

@linuxgurugamer

I'm dealing with two CactEye issues: 1) The detection of "pointed at sun" is 90 degrees off for the 2.5m optical tube. 2) NullRefs around the time Asteroid Camera 3 explodes because of the sun.

Installed via CKAN. My player.log just after an explosion, with a nullref excerpt in spoiler https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ptIJnhv8oS-w9XRumqJxSU6gPP669pmv/view?usp=sharing

Testing shows the explosion happens when the optical tube is pointed perpendicular to the JNSQ sun, and rolled with Q/E so sunlight strikes the inner lid of the opened aperture. There's a varying delay between being pointed in that direction and the explosion, but cycling through the 3 cameras in the CactEye GUI eliminates that delay and makes the explosion happen instantly (provided the optical tube is pointed in a bad direction).

If I aim directly at the sun there are no explosions. All 3 cameras can magnify direct Sun without damage.

The problem vessel has the 2.5m optical tube, Asteroid Camera 3, Wide Field 3, Occultation. It's always the Asteroid Camera 3 that explodes, never the other 2 on that vessel. A 2nd vessel with the 1.25m tube, Asteroid Camera 1, Wide Field 1, no occultation does not have the problem (or has it under narrower conditions that I didn't trigger).

I suspect these things are contributing:

1. The optical tube's orientation in VAB is horizontal by default and the scope needs to be rotated by 90 degrees for a typical rocket launch. Control From Here on the optical tube works weirdly, too.
  2. Maybe there's a compatibility issue with Kopernicus or JNSQ. I think Kopernicus breaks some stock asteroid contracts and JNSQ customizes asteroid sizes.

Thanks in advance for any advice or fixes.

P.S. I added CactEye mid-game rather than before starting a save. That shouldn't affect the 90 degree offset but maybe influences how asteroid spawning and the NRE are working.

Spoiler

CactEyeOptics: Asteroid Spawner: Was not able to adjust spawn rate; AsteroidSpawner object is null!

(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)

CactEyeOptics: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at CactEye2.CactEyeAsteroidSpawner.AdjustSpawnRate () [0x00037] in <bae4b142b8ce424da654b81b5b4e11c1>:0  
(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)

CactEyeOptics: Asteroid Spawner: Was not able to adjust spawn rate; AsteroidSpawner object is null!

CactEyeOptics: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at CactEye2.CactEyeAsteroidSpawner.AdjustSpawnRate () [0x00037] in <bae4b142b8ce424da654b81b5b4e11c1>:0  

processorAsteroid3 Exploded!! - blast awesomeness: 0.5

Edited by DeadJohn

• 1 month later...
On 4/19/2022 at 8:15 PM, Bit Fiddler said:

What texturing work needs done? I've got some experience with this

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I can post dropbox links to the models or if you prefer, I can use some other sort of cloud system.  or even just send them direct via email.  let me know what is best for you.  And then we can work out any changes that you may want made to them to make the texturing easier for you.   Things like splitting the mesh on lines where you want textures to change to get a nice crisp edge etc.  Or even if you want to just edit the models directly, that is fine as well.  I am not worried about "owning" them if you want to edit them directly feel free.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I had an issue with the FungEye Telescope Optics not appearing the VAB despite unlocking in the techtree...

I noticed in the cfg file (tele_body2.cfg) that under "editor parameters"  it had  "category = none" 

changing that to "category = Science" seems to have solved it, the CactEye Telescope Optical Tube has the same issue.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2023 at 9:28 AM, al9984 said:

I had an issue with the FungEye Telescope Optics not appearing the VAB despite unlocking in the techtree...

I noticed in the cfg file (tele_body2.cfg) that under "editor parameters"  it had  "category = none" 

changing that to "category = Science" seems to have solved it, the CactEye Telescope Optical Tube has the same issue.

Those parts were intentionally removed and replaced with alternate models. Look at the changelog or earlier in the thread. The telescope optics parts shown in the OP images are no longer current. LGG has over 300 mods he's maintaining so he hasn't made new ones.

• 3 weeks later...

This looks like a great mod, I just wondered if it is compatible with Custom Asteroids. I gave it a test run, and it looked like the logs were reporting these mods both altering asteroid spawn rates, but I don't really know what I am looking at to be honest. For reference; in case it makes a difference, I have Kopernicus set to use stock asteroid behaviour, so I can get vanilla comets with custom asteroid spawns.