[Min KSP 1.12.2] Blueshift: Kerbal FTL

Angelo Kerman

7 hours ago, PalowPower said:

Ver. 0.2 Doesn't work for me.....

I installed everything correctly and also turned everything on, e.g warp coil, main power,....
I even turned on cheats, but still nothing happens, as you can see in the video:

https://youtu.be/5H2ZT4PaL-Q

pls help ;-;

Can you try using the part menu to deactivate and reactivate the warp engine? See if that helps any.

15 minutes ago, PalowPower said:

Sadly no, i tryed it thousand times but still nothing happends...

Ok, can you go to the s3WarpEngine.cfg, find the MODULE named WBIWarpEngine, and uncomment the like that says "//    debugMode = true" ? I'll need to see a screenshot of the part action window and see what the debug information is saying.

4 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Ok, can you go to the s3WarpEngine.cfg, find the MODULE named WBIWarpEngine, and uncomment the like that says "//    debugMode = true" ? I'll need to see a screenshot of the part action window and see what the debug information is saying.

I've been having a similar issue, Seems to only happen when you power on the drive before its actually been triggered via staging. Here's the debug infolwmzNBE.png

Edited by Sky The Heck

6 hours ago, PalowPower said:

Sadly no, i tryed it thousand times but still nothing happends...

2 hours ago, Sky The Heck said:

I've been having a similar issue, Seems to only happen when you power on the drive before its actually been triggered via staging. Here's the debug info

Thanks folks, that helped! I was able to reproduce Sky's issue. It's a result of how the game does things, but I know the workaround. Anyway, here is 0.2.1. It includes the new S-2 Warp Coil but it isn't done yet...

I'm hoping to have the next batch of parts done in the next week or two, but in the meantime, this is the finished S-2 Warp Coil:

eDMmQDH.png

It has 4 different mesh configuration options- 3 are shown here. 10 of these equates to the S-3 Warp Engine's ring-shaped warp coil.

Last of the S-3 parts are done:

Tj4KZf4.png

With @cineboxandrew's help, I've finally matched the Restock specularity. Much appreciated, thank you! :)

Anyway, here is Blueshift 0.3:

New Parts

S-3 FTL Propellant Tank*
Mk3-S3 Adapter Tank
S-2 Warp Coil*
* Has part variants

Changes
- Warp coils are now rated for tonnage efficiency, much like warp engines. This allows smaller warp coils to power smaller vessels faster than light, but when used with larger vessels, it will take more of the coils to match the capabilities of larger coils. It also lets you mix and match warp cores and engines with warp coils; a ship may have underpowered warp coils for its mass, but it could have an overpowered warp core to compensate, or vice-versa. In general it takes 4 coils to achieve the same performance as a single coil in the next size class. The same holds true for warp engines.

Fixes
- Updated materials to better match Restock parts.
- Updated warp field effects to match latest Waterfall release.
- Warp Coils are enabled by default.

The Size 3 warp engine parts are done at this point. I was going to stop there with the warp engine parts but I've expanded the parts list to include Mk2. I'm debating whether to add Size 2 parts as well, but I still need to create the jump gate and jump engine parts, and I'd like to be done making Blueshift by no later than end of February...

Imo the ring one should be the cheaper, earlier one, as it's much less wieldy than the coils and is closer to our physical understanding of how one would work, while the coils are pure far future sci fi design and leave much more design freedom.

Also I like how reminiscent the Mk2 ring is of the Jedi starfighter hyperdrive ring.

Edited by m4ti140

I had an Idea for the next warp ring.

I really like the FTL Drive from the netflix series "Another Life". The warp ring in hovering around the spaceship and it looks really cool, here a picture:

yLmNEvX.png

I don't really know, how to make KSP mods, so idk if it's even possible to do a hovering part.

Edited by PalowPower

Can you include some support for Textures Unlimited, perhaps a set of textures for the recolor depot please? Id like to match the parts to my SSTO. Tweakscale support on the warp core or a few size options, my cargo bay is scaled up to 5 meters by 35. Yeah, that's a 1000 Ton SSTO to anywhere in Kerbal system, working on getting her to another Galaxy.

23 hours ago, m4ti140 said:

Imo the ring one should be the cheaper, earlier one, as it's much less wieldy than the coils and is closer to our physical understanding of how one would work, while the coils are pure far future sci fi design and leave much more design freedom.

Also I like how reminiscent the Mk2 ring is of the Jedi starfighter hyperdrive ring.

Hm... In the current tech tree, warp tech costs 10,000 Science to unlock, which aligns with @Nertea Community Tech Tree (Blueshift uses CTT's Unified Field Theory node if CTT is installed, or Advanced Alien Technology node if Kerbal Flying Saucers is installed). The current plan is to include all warp tech parts in the same node, while all jump tech parts need a separate 10k node called Jump Technologies. I figure that 10k Science is a lot to spend to get FTL, and it'll get worse when you use parts from both nodes in order to create large jump-capable ships.

Given the science cost, I'm not sure how I feel about moving the non-ring coils to another node, but I can see making them...50% more expensive to get equivalent functionality. So 10 S-2 Warp Coils are equivalent to the S-3 Warp Engine's ring, but those 10 coils plus the S-3 Warp Core end up costing you 50% more than the single-part Warp Engine.

The Jedi starfighter hyperdrive ring was indeed my inspiration for the Mk2 Warp Ring. :)

cZoIVjl.png

4Kkc98b.png

6 hours ago, PalowPower said:

I had an Idea for the next warp ring.

I really like the FTL Drive from the netflix series "Another Life". The warp ring in hovering around the spaceship and it looks really cool, here a picture:

I don't really know, how to make KSP mods, so idk if it's even possible to do a hovering part.

A "hovering" part is possible, but I don't see how practical it is- what keeps it in place? That said, maybe the ring from the Warp Sustainer could be available a separate part and has a slim central core for attachments.

5 hours ago, Cataclysmm said:

Can you include some support for Textures Unlimited, perhaps a set of textures for the recolor depot please? Id like to match the parts to my SSTO. Tweakscale support on the warp core or a few size options, my cargo bay is scaled up to 5 meters by 35. Yeah, that's a 1000 Ton SSTO to anywhere in Kerbal system, working on getting her to another Galaxy.

TBH I don't use either Textures Unlimited or Tweakscale. Further, over the years I've found that various people request support for mods that I don't use, then they move on and I'm left trying to figure out how to support future releases of said mods. Hence, I won't be including mod support except for Community Tech Tree and Waterfall. But if you'd like to create a set of configs for TU and Tweakscale, and would like a shout out on the OP, then I'll be happy to do that. :)

You don't use them, that's cool.I can do what I need. Just don't get upset you see your warp drive flying all chromed out though, everything's better shiny ;) I can mess with the Tweakscale but I'm not too sure about making those 4 color maps for TU, Far as I can tell that's easier for a modeler to do then me stripping the UV's and laying them over a converted BMP in layers so I can lay out the colors. 

Edited by Cataclysmm

14 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

A "hovering" part is possible, but I don't see how practical it is- what keeps it in place? That said, maybe the ring from the Warp Sustainer could be available a separate part and has a slim central core for attachments.

Maybe magnets or something like that could keep it in place.

Edited by PalowPower

On 1/18/2021 at 8:47 PM, Angel-125 said:

Hm... In the current tech tree, warp tech costs 10,000 Science to unlock, which aligns with @Nertea Community Tech Tree (Blueshift uses CTT's Unified Field Theory node if CTT is installed, or Advanced Alien Technology node if Kerbal Flying Saucers is installed). The current plan is to include all warp tech parts in the same node, while all jump tech parts need a separate 10k node called Jump Technologies. I figure that 10k Science is a lot to spend to get FTL, and it'll get worse when you use parts from both nodes in order to create large jump-capable ships.

Given the science cost, I'm not sure how I feel about moving the non-ring coils to another node, but I can see making them...50% more expensive to get equivalent functionality. So 10 S-2 Warp Coils are equivalent to the S-3 Warp Engine's ring, but those 10 coils plus the S-3 Warp Core end up costing you 50% more than the single-part Warp Engine.

The Jedi starfighter hyperdrive ring was indeed my inspiration for the Mk2 Warp Ring. :)

cZoIVjl.png

4Kkc98b.png

TBH I don't use either Textures Unlimited or Tweakscale. Further, over the years I've found that various people request support for mods that I don't use, then they move on and I'm left trying to figure out how to support future releases of said mods. Hence, I won't be including mod support except for Community Tech Tree and Waterfall. But if you'd like to create a set of configs for TU and Tweakscale, and would like a shout out on the OP, then I'll be happy to do that. :)

Ah, ok then, I thought it was gonna be spread between nodes. It makes sense then.

4 hours ago, Thatguywholikesionengines said:

This looks absolutely amazing! I can't wait to see where this goes, since I'm looking into a lightyear-scale KSP myself, and this seems pretty simple, for a warp mod at least! I like how it's looking so far.

Thanks! Simple but versatile is what I'm aiming for. Probably the hardest thing would be mining asteroids for the Graviolium that you need, but you can enable the resource cheat on the part action window and add the stuff during design time.

Also, once I get the Mk2 parts done, I'll be working on the jump gates and jump engines, so you'll have three different FTL methods.

Speaking of Mk2, here is the Mk2 Warp Coil:

XTVLUD7.png

z1gm7lX.png