[Min KSP 1.12.2] Blueshift: Kerbal FTL

Angelo Kerman

7 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Awww yeeeah!

Warp SSTO!!!!

Yup, Single Stage To Warp. :) The Mk2 warp engine parts are probably the smallest I'd go for warp tech, but if there's a huge demand for Size 1 warp tech I might consider it. Meanwhile, last bit for today:

8qU7G1u.png

I'm still working on the warp core, but this is how it'll sync up with the Mk2 Warp Ring. It will also dock to the Mk2 Gravimetric Displacement Generator.

Spoiler

Hi Angel how are you? This is Kenny..been playing kerbal sapce for very long time....I love your mod a lot...i want to know how can I decelerate with your drive only...I feel struggle to decelerate when i arrive in an Destination (Duna, Eve) for example.....My traditional engine has almost no use to  decelerate after arriving in your planet using your drive.  Thanks 

12 hours ago, kennyc222 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Hi Angel how are you? This is Kenny..been playing kerbal sapce for very long time....I love your mod a lot...i want to know how can I decelerate with your drive only...I feel struggle to decelerate when i arrive in an Destination (Duna, Eve) for example.....My traditional engine has almost no use to  decelerate after arriving in your planet using your drive.  Thanks 

When you arrive in a planetary Sphere Of Influence, the warp engine won't go as fast, and you can use its thrust limiter to slow down even more. That will let you move your craft around and use the planet's gravity to your advantage. So, after arriving, warp around until gravity will pull your ship towards the planet. As your velocity carries you away from the planet, you'll slow down due to the pull of gravity. As you move away from the planet, warp back down towards the planet to lose even more speed. Once you've done that a few times, you can then warp around to circularize your orbit. I'll add an infographic to explain that along with where to get Graviolium from.

The jump gates and jump engines will not have this problem. You'll just select the target and perform the jump. Your ship will end up in a stable orbit (barring weird KSP issues) next to the target... or somewhere else if you misjump...

2 hours ago, warp_08 said:

will it be possible to do a time warp while the engine is running?

Not at present. KSP automatically cuts the engine throttle during timewarp, and the warp engine is no different. But next update I can add a "Cruise Control" feature. If enabled, the warp engine will remember your previous throttle setting when you enter timewarp and continue going warp speed.

When you arrive in a planetary Sphere Of Influence, the warp engine won't go as fast, and you can use its thrust limiter to slow down even more. That will let you move your craft around and use the planet's gravity to your advantage. So, after arriving, warp around until gravity will pull your ship towards the planet. As your velocity carries you away from the planet, you'll slow down due to the pull of gravity. As you move away from the planet, warp back down towards the planet to lose even more speed. Once you've done that a few times, you can then warp around to circularize your orbit. I'll add an infographic to explain that along with where to get Graviolium from.

Thanks Angel...use a infrographic and even a video demonstration will be great! As when I exit the Kerbin's SOI ( Sphere Of Influence), the orbit speed sharply increases over 11000 ms^-1 ....when I arrive in Duna, Eve, Dres or Jool, orbit speed  remain over 11000 ms^-1...so  I can use its thrust limiter and warp my craft around  to slow down even more once i arrived in Duna, Eve, right?  How much thrust limiter should i use? 

Also the Gravitium bug...when I maxed out the Gravilium on VAB/SPH, even If used the Gravillium cheat has enabled, it still displayed Gravillium is missing and demanding Gravillium even if Cheat option is enabled on Launch...may you fix this bug?

Edited by kennyc222

8 minutes ago, kennyc222 said:

Thanks Angel...use a infrographic and even a video demonstration will be great! As when I exit the Kerbin's SOI ( Sphere Of Influence), the orbit speed sharply increases over 11000 ms^-1 ....when I arrive in Duna, Eve, Dres or Jool, orbit speed  remain over 11000 ms^-1...so  I can use its thrust limiter and warp my craft around  to slow down even more once i arrived in Duna, Eve, right?  How much thrust limiter should i use? 

Also the Gravitium bug...when I maxed out the Gravilium on VAB/SPH, even If used the Gravillium cheat has enabled, it still displayed Gravillium is missing and demanding Gravillium even if Cheat option is enabled on Launch...may you fix this bug?

I'm not seeing that issue with Graviolium going missing. Anybody else seeing that?

Definitely keep thrust limiter to 100%.

11 hours ago, warp_08 said:

will it be possible to do a time warp while the engine is running?

Well, I spent the day trying to figure out how to make warp travel work while in timewarp. Suffice to say that the way to do it it really messes with the vessel's velocity. It's doable but there's a lot of work involved to make it work right. It occurs to me that instead of trying to warp during timewarp, the ship ought to warp faster when outside of a solar system, much like there's a speed brake while inside a planetary SOI.

8 hours ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Now I know it's most likely implausible with the balance of this mod, but a fold out, MK2 warp ring would be sick.

My original concept for the Mk2 Warp engine parts were exactly that:

i1j2cKE.png

What I found is that the part would be unwieldy on a space plane, and add a lot of mass to a craft trying to reach orbit. It would also need extra bits and pieces to protect it from the airstream while folded. Plus, folding warp rings have been done for a long time, and I decided that it was time to do something different. What I haven't seen are a variety of warp coils- especially rings that you can dock to and fly away with. :)

How did you learn how to program KSP Mods? I never figured out how to do...

But anyway, I changed the Photonicboom sound to this: https://cdn.sndup.net/3544/PhotonicBoom+Edit+(Trek+variant).ogg?token=QuTHyQ4T408tfq03NNXjgtJBN9UaO8Lvb3EGkoEXmKk&token_path=%2F3544%2F&expires=1611672752

I also changed the volume to 4.0 instead of 2.0.

Changing Sounds: Go to your Ksp Installation path (Steam version: C:/Program Files (86x)/Steam/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program), then go into the GameData Folder and to WildBlueIndustries. Go to the Blueshift folder. Then you see a folder called "FX". You can Change any of the sounds, as long as they're called exactly the same as before. Delete the old file and put in the new. 

If you downloaded a e.g. .mp3 file from the internet, go for example in Audacity and convert it to .ogg. 

If you want to change the Volume, go into the config files: (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\WildBlueIndustries\Blueshift\Parts\Engine) 

Then go in the "wbiS3WarpCore.cfg"  and "wbiS3WarpEngine.cfg" files and scroll to the end. You'll find "volume = 2.0".  Change this to the value you want. for me it was "volume = 4.0"

What do you Think about that sound?

Edited by PalowPower

12 hours ago, kennyc222 said:

That's not a bug. That's a feature. It is as @Angel-125 intended.

When you launch a ship that holds Graviolium, you're forced to launch empty and to buy it separately (from the underground particle accelerator and its finite storage) afterward. Your bank is likely empty since you're new to how Graviolium works.

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

That's not a bug. That's a feature. It is as @Angel-125 intended.

When you launch a ship that holds Graviolium, you're forced to launch empty and to buy it separately (from the underground particle accelerator and its finite storage) afterward. Your bank is likely empty since you're new to how Graviolium works.

Wouldn't the cheat option bypass this though? That is the part that sounds like it could be a potential bug.

@CDSlice I got the impression that the complainant didn't try to choose to not buy Graviolium. If they said no and then couldn't cheat then that's a bug. If I was going to cheat, I wouldn't just use the stock cheat but I would use HyperEdit to fill the tanks. It's possible the WBI may not get along well with the tanks still being empty regardless of the cheat being on.

3 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

When you launch a ship that holds Graviolium, you're forced to launch empty and to buy it separately (

13 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

It's possible the WBI may not get along well with the tanks still being empty regardless of the cheat being on.

FFT antimatter has a similar behavior. It doesn’t like the ALT F12 cheat menu’s unlimited propellant. 

8 hours ago, PalowPower said:

How did you learn how to program KSP Mods? I never figured out how to do...

But anyway, I changed the Photonicboom sound to this: https://cdn.sndup.net/3544/PhotonicBoom+Edit+(Trek+variant).ogg?token=QuTHyQ4T408tfq03NNXjgtJBN9UaO8Lvb3EGkoEXmKk&token_path=%2F3544%2F&expires=1611672752

I also changed the volume to 4.0 instead of 2.0.

Changing Sounds: Go to your Ksp Installation path (Steam version: C:/Program Files (86x)/Steam/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program), then go into the GameData Folder and to WildBlueIndustries. Go to the Blueshift folder. Then you see a folder called "FX". You can Change any of the sounds, as long as they're called exactly the same as before. Delete the old file and put in the new. 

If you downloaded a e.g. .mp3 file from the internet, go for example in Audacity and convert it to .ogg. 

If you want to change the Volume, go into the config files: (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\WildBlueIndustries\Blueshift\Parts\Engine) 

Then go in the "wbiS3WarpCore.cfg"  and "wbiS3WarpEngine.cfg" files and scroll to the end. You'll find "volume = 2.0".  Change this to the value you want. for me it was "volume = 4.0"

What do you Think about that sound?

I've been writing software as a profession for many years, so I had a head start on how to write code. For KSP itself, I went to the add-on development forum and looked at the getting started guides and found the KSP API that gave me a sense of what's possible. And since plugin authors are required to post their source code, I also looked at what others did to see how they used the API- and am happy to provide the source so others can do the same.

As for the photonic boom, that's a sound byte from a NASA video of a space shuttle coming in to land. I'm partial to that sound clip, but you're certainly welcome to change the sound in your game. :)

3 hours ago, CDSlice said:

Wouldn't the cheat option bypass this though? That is the part that sounds like it could be a potential bug.

Can you provide the exact steps to reproduce this issue? I don't see it on my end. I'm able to use the cheat menu to fill the Blueshift tanks with Graviolium. Only the tanks from Kerbal Flying Saucers presently remove all Graviolium before launch.

3 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Can you provide the exact steps to reproduce this issue? I don't see it on my end. I'm able to use the cheat menu to fill the Blueshift tanks with Graviolium. Only the tanks from Kerbal Flying Saucers presently remove all Graviolium before launch.

Just to be clear I am not the one with the issue,  that would be @kenneyc222.

I know .....if there is Gravilllium cheat option, that should be work....the Gravilllium is a bit confusing...and it is too expensive to buy it on the ground (ksp) ...even if I turn the cheat on, it doesn't work. I love your Saucer mod...but it still demands lots of Gravillium...without it, i can't control the saucer in crazy mode. ..and it should be mined in Eve and Duna too, at least not kerbin...as I don't really like landing on Astroroid at all..

Edited by kennyc222

43 minutes ago, kennyc222 said:

I know .....if there is Gravilllium cheat option, that should be work....the Gravilllium is a bit confusing...and it is too expensive to buy it on the ground (ksp) ...even if I turn the cheat on, it doesn't work. I love your Saucer mod...but it still demands lots of Gravillium...without it, i can control the saucer in crazy mode. ..and it should be mined in Eve and Duna too, at least not kerbin...as I don't really like landing on Astroroid at all..

Can you provide the exact steps to how you are adding graviolium into your Blueshift FTL Propellant tanks? I have both Kerbal Flying Saucers and Blueshift installed and I have no issues with Graviolium  being empty when I launch my starships.

And if you have Kerbal Flying Saucers installed  then you can also collect Graviolium using the Stardust Graviolium Collector, and from the Space Center you can produce Graviolium for purchase. You can also mine Graviolium from Dres...

I loaded a craft on VAB/SPH ...and then I maxed out Graviollium..I assumed the cheat is off...here is the screenshot. 

Graviollium cheat off: 
a.jpg

and then: 

Graviollium still exists......
b.jpg

But when I enable Graviollium cheat,

c.jpg

......the Graviollium meter is still depleting on launch...

supposedly Graviollium should be unlimted once i turn the cheat on. 

I see now! I can mine some Graviollium...i should plan on my new Colony on Dres :) 

Edited by kennyc222

8 minutes ago, kennyc222 said:

I loaded a craft on VAB/SPH ...and then I maxed out Graviollium..I assumed the cheat is off...here is the screenshot. 

Graviollium cheat off: 

and then: 

Graviollium still exists......

But when I enable Graviollium cheat, the Graviollium meter is still depleting...

supposedly Graviollium should be unlimted once i turn the cheat on. 

I see now! I can mine some Graviollium...i should plan on my new Colony on Dres :) 

I don't see a screenshot, but from the sounds of it, you're expecting the Graviolium cheat to give you infinite Graviolium? If so, that is not the case. All the cheat does is let you fill up your tanks without needing to mine asteroids. The Graviolium will still be depleted when you run the warp tech.

So the cheat can allow me to fil up  the Graviolium  without needing to mine asteroids. ? How can i do this without Asteroids or Dres ?  

Will Graviolium  be regenerated once i turn the cheat on? 

I don't still understand...you say it is not about infinite Graviolium

Edited by kennyc222

14 minutes ago, kennyc222 said:

So the cheat can allow me to fill out  the Graviolium  without needing to mine asteroids. ? How can i do this without Asteroids or Dres ?  

Will Graviolium  be regenerated once i turn the cheat on? 

I don't still understand...you say it is not about infinite Graviolium

You do not get infinite Graviolium. When you "Graviolium CHEAT: Enable Graviolium tweak" all you do is make the Graviolium resource indicator visible in the VAB/SPH. That allows you to adjust the amount of Graviolium in the tank like you would with Liquid Fuel and Oxidizer. Nothing more. When you "Graviolium CHEAT: Disable Graviolium tweak" you simply hide the Graviolium resource again so you can no longer edit its value. In both cases, once you launch, your vessel will deplete Graviolium when you run the generators, and you will see the Graviolium resource.

Meanwhile, thanks to @StarCrusher96's consultation, next update the warp engine will know when it is in interstellar space. Check out what happens...

zH3UXIC.png

sfzmybq.png

Now you're really hauling the mail!

Now the warp engines have three speed modes:

• Within a planetary sphere of influence, warp speed is limited by the engine's planetary sphere of influence curve. Meaning you will go fast but not faster than light.
  • In interplanetary space, your ship can go faster than light, but the engine's warp curve, but you're limited to at most 10C and it'll cost you a lot of Gravity Waves to get there.
  • Out in interstellar space, which is either out past the furthest planet from the Sun or outside of another star system's sphere of influence, you'll get a significant speed boost. The interstellarWarpSpeedModifier can be configured from Blueshift's new settings.cfg file, and will need some tuning to work well without making things too easy.