[Min KSP 1.12.2] Blueshift: Kerbal FTL

Angelo Kerman

6 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

For the auto-circularization, I see your perspective. I'm not too worried about the steps needed to enable/disable the ability to circularize, but I can add a PAW button to manually circularize if that option is enabled.

I think I would like this option as well.

13 hours ago, vardicd said:

I think I would like this option as well.

Next update, sometime this weekend, will change things so that when the circularization option is enabled, you will get a button on the PAW that will circularize your orbit for you. Without that option enabled you won’t see the PAW button. Additionally, you can map the circularization to an action group. I guess it means I have to update my infographics...

I am also working on a gradual acceleration to interstellar speed and deceleration from interstellar speed, so that should help with cases where you miss that last planet in the system. As a temporary workaround, try adjusting the thrust limiter and use a low throttle setting.

In terms of resource consumption, I might be able to create a throttle control for the resource converter. Strangely, ModuleGenerator has one but ModuleResourceConverter does not. But ModuleResourceConverter offers more flexibility in what I can change. Once I figure that out I can add a power curve that ramps up in interstellar space, and ramps down to minimum required levels (the current consumption rates) in planetary and interplanetary space.

The last thing I am looking at is expanding the FFT patch to use the FFT fusion resources in place of Fusion Pellets- which have been around since 2015 when I made the resource for DSEV. As a rule, I no longer add patches for mods that I don’t use- especially when the people who demand such support move on and I get stuck maintaining the patches. But I am willing to make an exception here since I do use a number of @Nertea’s other mods in my own game.

6 hours ago, ktosiu said:

@Angel-125 The warp field moves *every* object inside the bubble?! You absolute, wonderful madman! :D

Glad you’re having fun with the mod. :)  I built Blueshift to offer a variety of FTL options. Originally it was going to just be 1-2 parts per FTL mode, but I saw an opportunity to expand the options when I realized that I needed gravitic generators for the jump engines. Hence you now have a variety of warp coils and engine form factors to choose from.

Blueshift is more a mashup of Star Trek and Mass Effect than anything- in the lore, warp is an extension of the flying saucer “Crazy Mode” and Graviolium powers the saucer’s gravitic drive as well. I originally tried to reduce the vessel’s mass in game but got stuck when I couldn’t adjust the resource mass without pulling all resources out of the ship. It would take a lot of hacking to make that work...

36 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

The last thing I am looking at is expanding the FFT patch to use the FFT fusion resources in place of Fusion Pellets- which have been around since 2015 when I made the resource for DSEV. As a rule, I no longer add patches for mods that I don’t use- especially when the people who demand such support move on and I get stuck maintaining the patches. But I am willing to make an exception here since I do use a number of @Nertea’s other mods in my own game.

6 hours ago, ktosiu said:

Hmm not sure how you want to run this Angel, but the idea for the FFT fusion resources is that they are raw inputs to the creation. None of the FFT engines actually use pellets as feedstock. I think instead of creating compatibility with your parts for LqdHe3, LqdDeuterium, I would suggest just providing a converter config somewhere to convert those two resources together into FusionPellets. You could even patch a FFT part to do this (nuclear smelter). 

1 hour ago, Nertea said:

Hmm not sure how you want to run this Angel, but the idea for the FFT fusion resources is that they are raw inputs to the creation. None of the FFT engines actually use pellets as feedstock. I think instead of creating compatibility with your parts for LqdHe3, LqdDeuterium, I would suggest just providing a converter config somewhere to convert those two resources together into FusionPellets. You could even patch a FFT part to do this (nuclear smelter). 

After taking a closer look at FFT's fusion parts, I decided that a straight up replacement of Fusion Pellets with Liquid Deuterium is the way to go, since the original complaint was having to manage two different resource types on the same ship. Thanks for your suggestion though! :)

1 hour ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Cool!

I hope we can keep your fuel tanks though. They are nice for spaceplanes! :happy:

Nope, all the FTL tanks are removed when FFT is installed. The Graviolium tanks are still around. You can stick the 1.25m fusion fuel tanks into a mk2 cargo bay. Similarly, all stand-alone Blueshift fusion reactors are removed as well.

5 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Next update, sometime this weekend, will change things so that when the circularization option is enabled, you will get a button on the PAW that will circularize your orbit for you. Without that option enabled you won’t see the PAW button. Additionally, you can map the circularization to an action group. I guess it means I have to update my infographics...

I am also working on a gradual acceleration to interstellar speed and deceleration from interstellar speed, so that should help with cases where you miss that last planet in the system. As a temporary workaround, try adjusting the thrust limiter and use a low throttle setting.

In terms of resource consumption, I might be able to create a throttle control for the resource converter. Strangely, ModuleGenerator has one but ModuleResourceConverter does not. But ModuleResourceConverter offers more flexibility in what I can change. Once I figure that out I can add a power curve that ramps up in interstellar space, and ramps down to minimum required levels (the current consumption rates) in planetary and interplanetary space.

Glad you’re having fun with the mod. :)  I built Blueshift to offer a variety of FTL options. Originally it was going to just be 1-2 parts per FTL mode, but I saw an opportunity to expand the options when I realized that I needed gravitic generators for the jump engines. Hence you now have a variety of warp coils and engine form factors to choose from.

This is fantastic, thank you - also found it very fun that you could warp up to a chunk of debris (or another ship) and warp away with it. Really cool effect. I didn't notice in game, actually, but now that I think about it - if you have another ship / debris / asteroid in your warp bubble, does it take more graviolium to move or do you move at a slower max speed? Would be an interesting way of tugboating asteroids or space stations around a system...

10 minutes ago, AccidentalDisassembly said:

This is fantastic, thank you - also found it very fun that you could warp up to a chunk of debris (or another ship) and warp away with it. Really cool effect. I didn't notice in game, actually, but now that I think about it - if you have another ship / debris / asteroid in your warp bubble, does it take more graviolium to move or do you move at a slower max speed? Would be an interesting way of tugboating asteroids or space stations around a system...

Actually, that is an unexpected side effect of moving the floating point frame of reference (which makes the ship go to warp). What happens if you grab the debris/ship/kerbal/asteroid, warp around until your velocity changes, and then drop out of warp? Does said debris/ship/kerbal/asteroid stay nearby?

3 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Actually, that is an unexpected side effect of moving the floating point frame of reference (which makes the ship go to warp). What happens if you grab the debris/ship/kerbal/asteroid, warp around until your velocity changes, and then drop out of warp? Does said debris/ship/kerbal/asteroid stay nearby?

Just now tried that - as near as I can tell, it has whatever velocity it had, like the warping ship still does when it exits warp too. Thus: if you match velocities with the object before warp, it will stick around. So, something like this, in my experiment:

1. Build ship in 2 parts, one decouples from other. One part can warp, other can't (or can, probably doesn't matter).
  2. Hyperedit into orbit; now ship is moving on whatever vector it's moving on due to orbit. Decouple and warp. After stopping, both craft dragged in bubble still have same velocity as before warp.
  3. While warping, when debris/other part of craft drifts ~400m from the warping ship, it slips outside of bubble; it seems to act exactly as if you cut throttle on a warping ship (maintains original velocity) at the position in space where it slipped outside the bubble.
  4. If you warp away and warp back to the debris, you'll 'pick it up' in your bubble again if you get within ~400m (or whatever), relative velocities still maintained, and it can slip outside the bubble again (and will then hurtle off into space at whatever definitely-slower-than-light-speed velocity it had).
  5. With objects NOT moving with roughly the same velocity as the warp ship... Fun fact - you will still 'pick it up' in your warp bubble, and the object will bounce around a lot (because of very different velocity) until it happens to land outside the bubble, whereupon it will start moving according to whatever velocity it had before it got dragged by the bubble. E.g. warp straight at an asteroid at low warp and you'll snag it in your bubble. Then some jerkiness will happen (it will appear to move around very violently, jiggle/bounce) until it gets 'spit out'.
  6. After experiencing number 5... It would be really handy to also have a button to 'match velocities with target for X graviolium' so you can intercept things that aren't planets, like an asteroid or a stranded ship... then you can tow the asteroid wherever you'd like it to go :) Or perhaps that would be too cheaty, since it might remove the need for any other form of propulsion on the ship. Dunno...
  7. If you do warp up to an object with very different velocity... let's just say that catching it in your bubble involves a certain chance of collisions.
  8. I don't think it takes any more graviolium to warp with a massive asteroid in the bubble than normally... but that would be interesting, if it's feasible to somehow count 'total mass in the bubble' or something.
Edited by AccidentalDisassembly

3 hours ago, AccidentalDisassembly said:

Just now tried that - as near as I can tell, it has whatever velocity it had, like the warping ship still does when it exits warp too. Thus: if you match velocities with the object before warp, it will stick around. So, something like this, in my experiment:

1. Build ship in 2 parts, one decouples from other. One part can warp, other can't (or can, probably doesn't matter).
  2. Hyperedit into orbit; now ship is moving on whatever vector it's moving on due to orbit. Decouple and warp. After stopping, both craft dragged in bubble still have same velocity as before warp.
  3. While warping, when debris/other part of craft drifts ~400m from the warping ship, it slips outside of bubble; it seems to act exactly as if you cut throttle on a warping ship (maintains original velocity) at the position in space where it slipped outside the bubble.
  4. If you warp away and warp back to the debris, you'll 'pick it up' in your bubble again if you get within ~400m (or whatever), relative velocities still maintained, and it can slip outside the bubble again (and will then hurtle off into space at whatever definitely-slower-than-light-speed velocity it had).
  5. With objects NOT moving with roughly the same velocity as the warp ship... Fun fact - you will still 'pick it up' in your warp bubble, and the object will bounce around a lot (because of very different velocity) until it happens to land outside the bubble, whereupon it will start moving according to whatever velocity it had before it got dragged by the bubble. E.g. warp straight at an asteroid at low warp and you'll snag it in your bubble. Then some jerkiness will happen (it will appear to move around very violently, jiggle/bounce) until it gets 'spit out'.
  6. After experiencing number 5... It would be really handy to also have a button to 'match velocities with target for X graviolium' so you can intercept things that aren't planets, like an asteroid or a stranded ship... then you can tow the asteroid wherever you'd like it to go :) Or perhaps that would be too cheaty, since it might remove the need for any other form of propulsion on the ship. Dunno...
  7. If you do warp up to an object with very different velocity... let's just say that catching it in your bubble involves a certain chance of collisions.
  8. I don't think it takes any more graviolium to warp with a massive asteroid in the bubble than normally... but that would be interesting, if it's feasible to somehow count 'total mass in the bubble' or something.

Very cool! Thanks for running these experiments. :) It was definitely an unintended side effect, but it makes sense. It'll be one of those undocumented features (unless until people read your post). I'll have to think about how to handle the situation where a nearby craft gets stuck in your warp field. Maybe when the warp engine calculates warp speed, it can check for nearby objects. And if found, their mass counts against you.

I'd say that the savy player will need to manually match velocities before conducting warp towing, but once you do, sail away!

This evening I finally got a workable acceleration curve going for when the ship hits interstellar space- and for when you're already in interstellar space. It doesn't completely eliminate the need for some fine piloting skills, but it should make things easier. Now I just need to figure out how to scale the power production on generators and such. Once that's done, it's a home stretch for the next update. :)

4 hours ago, AccidentalDisassembly said:

47 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Very cool! Thanks for running these experiments. :) It was definitely an unintended side effect, but it makes sense. It'll be one of those undocumented features (unless until people read your post). I'll have to think about how to handle the situation where a nearby craft gets stuck in your warp field. Maybe when the warp engine calculates warp speed, it can check for nearby objects. And if found, their mass counts against you.

I'd say that the savy player will need to manually match velocities before conducting warp towing, but once you do, sail away!

This evening I finally got a workable acceleration curve going for when the ship hits interstellar space- and for when you're already in interstellar space. It doesn't completely eliminate the need for some fine piloting skills, but it should make things easier. Now I just need to figure out how to scale the power production on generators and such. Once that's done, it's a home stretch for the next update. :)

So... what happens if your warp ship undocks from a station and goes to warp, while slightly too close to your station, and only part of the station is in the bubble? does the station get ripped apart?

Just now, vardicd said:

So... what happens if your warp ship undocks from a station and goes to warp, while slightly too close to your station, and only part of the station is in the bubble? does the station get ripped apart?

Well, Blueshift has no Bubble of Death, but I don't know what KSP will do if part of the station is outside of the frame of reference's loading range (like how you get within 200 meters of a craft and its part modules come alive).

Blueshift 1.1 is now available:

Resources

- The resource requirements to power warp tech parts will scale upwards when traveling in interstellar space, but retain their minimum power requirements when in interplanetary or planetary space. To accomplish this, WBIWarpEngine adds two new fields:
    warpPowerGeneratorID: controls WBIModuleGeneratorFX when its moduleID matches this value.
    interstellarPowerMultiplier: Multiplies resource consumption and productions rates when going interstellar. Defaults to 10.

- Added conversion from Ore to Fusion Pellets to the stock Size 2 ISRU (available if you don't have Wild Blue Tools & Far Future Technologies installed, which have their own resource chains).

Warp Travel

- To gradually accelerate to interstellar speed, engines now have an interstellarAccelerationCurve, which is explained below:
Whenever you cross into interstellar space, or are already in interstellar space and throttled down, then this acceleration curve will be applied.
The warp speed will be max warp speed * curve's speed modifier, and it is affected by how long ago you made a speed change.
The first number represents the number of seconds since crossing the boundary or throttling up, and the second number is the multiplier.
We don't apply this curve when going from interstellar to interplanetary space, so you'll slow down pretty quick.
You can override the engine's interstellarAccelerationCurve, but this the default curve:
interstellarAccelerationCurve
{
    key = 0 0.001
    key = 5 0.01
    key = 7 0.1
    key = 9 0.5
    key = 10 1
}
TIP: warp engines have a Thrust Limiter just like any other engine, and it will affect your top speed along with your throttle setting.

- Changed "Auto-circularize orbit after warp" game option to "Enable circularization helper." This change enables the "Auto-circularize orbit" button in the warp engine's Part Action Window that will auto-circularize orbit the starship's orbit- but it still costs Graviolium to do so.
- The "Auto-circularize orbit" button can be mapped to an action key. It will work as long as "Enable circularization helper" is enabled.
- Removed the "autoCircularizationDelay" field from Settings.cfg.

Far Future Technologies
- Warp engines, warp cores, and gravitic generators will use Liquid Deuterium instead of Fusion Pellets when Far Future Technologies is installed.
- Stand-alone fusion reactors are hidden when Far Future Technologies is installed.
- S2 and S3 FTL tanks are hidden when Far Future Technologies is installed. Use the FFT tanks instead. The dedicated Graviolium tanks and the Mk2, S1 Endcap, and S2 Endcap tanks are still available.

I haven't done anything to affect warp engine performance when you go Warp Dragging just yet. This was a pretty big update.

43 minutes ago, MacLuky said:

These look amazing! Very well done, your mods keep breathing live in this game 

Glad you like the mod. :) The Warp Tech parts are finally done, but I have to finish the jump gates (discoverable and built) and the jump engines, but Blueshift is definitely in a playable state.

And one last thing for the night, courtesy of @Zarbon44:

067w44Y.png

11 hours ago, vardicd said:

My guess is that the station's center of mass needs to be inside the bubble for it to get dragged, and the whole craft would either get dragged or instantly released when the CoM isn't inside anymore (due to it drifting away, if it's drifting away) - when I tested this, slipping outside the bubble was instantaneous and affected the whole craft, not part by part, so I can only assume you'd either drag another craft or not, and there's no middle ground involving ripping pieces off of it... but I guess we'll find out! :)

@AccidentalDisassembly Consider whether the target isn't the CoM but the root part. I suppose you'll need a secondary vessel (A) which is over 1km long and whose root part is at one end but the CoM is in the middle, and a secondary vessel (B) which has its root part and its CoM both in the middle in order to truly and easily confirm.

13 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@AccidentalDisassembly Consider whether the target isn't the CoM but the root part. I suppose you'll need a secondary vessel (A) which is over 1km long and whose root part is at one end but the CoM is in the middle, and a secondary vessel (B) which has its root part and its CoM both in the middle in order to truly and easily confirm.

This is proving quite annoying to test - if you use Hangar Extender to make a very long craft with a stack separator (so you get 2 craft that can easily distance from each other in orbit after HyperEdit),  then the smaller part of the craft will be obliterated when you use the decoupler. No idea why.

Anyhoo, I tested this. I am reasonably confident that it's the root part after all - I made a VERY long craft (~150m) with a CoM at the opposite end to the root part (huge tanks on one end, just a command pod on other).

The craft got dropped from the bubble exactly when the root part command pod crossed the 350 meter mark, while the CoM was ~150m further away from the bubble origin point.

An interesting feature idea might be to control the warp bubble size with a slider, so that you can either avoid dragging a station with you, or do it on purpose, dragging A LOT of stuff with you in a giant bubble at the price of additional graviolium in proportion to the volume of the sphere... :) Or perhaps some kind of toggle (if it's even possible) that makes the bubble somehow not interact with other craft. Though based on how Angel said it works (shifting the frame), I wonder if that would even be possible...

Edited by AccidentalDisassembly

8 minutes ago, Quoniam Kerman said:

No I meant stackable fuel tank like warp nacelles on the  spaceplane. Which seems to work since it needs 10 of them to equal a warp ring.

Hm, well, I made the Mk2 Warp Ring surface attachable, so you should be able to add additional warp rings to your spaceplane and slide them close together. Is that more what you're looking for?

Nice, but I really meant the fuel tanks on the spaceplace picture on the thread OP that act as warp nacelles. It was the kind of part that lacked previous Warpships mods. Those fuel tank like warp modules can put anywhere and act as warp engines as long as all the ship is in the bubble. Warp rings require to be in the center and main core of the ship and I find it limiting.

Edited by Quoniam Kerman

5 minutes ago, Quoniam Kerman said:

Nice, but I really meant the fuel tanks on the spaceplace picture on the thread OP that act as warp nacelles. It was the kind of part that lacked previous Warpships mods. Those fuel tank like warp modules can put anywhere and act as warp engines as long as all the ship is in the bubble. Warp rings require to be in the center and main core of the ship and I find it limiting.

Ah ok. Well, I think I'll need a picture of what you are looking for. The S1 Warp Coil can definitely go anywhere, and you can stack them together. Are you looking for a hollow version of that part, something like the stock Structural Fuselage?

On 2/11/2021 at 2:38 PM, Quoniam Kerman said:

Possibility to make tubular warp nacelles?

Hell yes, at least good looking Star Trek style ships are now possible...

43 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Ah ok. Well, I think I'll need a picture of what you are looking for. The S1 Warp Coil can definitely go anywhere, and you can stack them together. Are you looking for a hollow version of that part, something like the stock Structural Fuselage?

@Angel-125 I could be wrong, and @Quoniam Kerman can correct me if so, but I don't think Quoniam is asking for a part, I think Quoniam is saying that these parts below make it possible to make something like the warp nacelles from Star Trek:

lmxOTv5.png

Edited by vardicd

22 hours ago, AccidentalDisassembly said:

An interesting feature idea might be to control the warp bubble size with a slider,

Part of the point of BlueShift is avoiding dealing with a constricting warp bubble. Just use sub-light engines to out of physics range of anything before you warp.

20 hours ago, vardicd said:

I think Quoniam is saying that these parts below make it possible to make something like the warp nacelles from Star Trek:

;)

...A hollow warp nacelle wouldn't make sense at all. The warp coil has great mass and volume, and it bathes in plasma like a copper coin submerged in abrasive fluid to be cleaned off.

On 2/11/2021 at 4:38 PM, Quoniam Kerman said:

Possibility to make tubular warp nacelles?

Hell yes, at least good looking Star Trek style ships are now possible...

You must be asking for a stackable version of these big ones? ... (For those who may not know, this is the IXS Warpship, part of KSPI.)

636019298971368374.png