[Min KSP 1.12.2] Blueshift: Kerbal FTL

Angelo Kerman

20 hours ago, vardicd said:

I think Quoniam is saying that these parts below make it possible to make something like the warp nacelles from Star Trek:

2 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

;)

...A hollow warp nacelle wouldn't make sense at all. The warp coil has great mass and volume, and it bathes in plasma like a copper coin submerged in abrasive fluid to be cleaned off.

I didn't say anything about a hollow warp nacelle? I was talking about me thinking  Quoniam was commenting that you could use these parts:

HpHzvyD.png

to make something that looked like a warp nacelle from Star Trek, like this:

EcYCSNT.jpg

I'm a tad confused about the purpose of the Gravimetric Displacement Generator... The description suggests it serves as an alternative to the warp core (the "engine part")? Yet it offers no thrust capabilities and the warp core has a power source of its own. In what scenarios does it become useful?

@ktosiu I haven't seen the part descriptions so I can't say for sure there, but concerning behavior, the warp nacelles in this mod consume Gravity Waves which are produced by any Gravimetric Displacement Generator. The standalone ones may be more powerful than the ones built into the warp cores. The standalone ones are also compact and do very well to supplement the warp cores if ever you find yourself guzzling Gravity Waves or you choose to use an undersized warp core for ship aesthetics. I haven't played enough but I believe that's how it works out.

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Part of the point of BlueShift is avoiding dealing with a constricting warp bubble. Just use sub-light engines to out of physics range of anything before you warp.

That's fine, of course. I don't even know if there are real use cases where allowing manipulation of the warp bubble size (upward from where it is right now) for a price would be useful - warp a whole fleet together, if you have enough graviolium, maybe -  just an interesting possible feature. I mean, it's certainly not necessary - since, you know, you could just dock stuff to your 'warp tugboat' if you want to warp a whole heap of things at once. But it could be cool for some unknown purpose, I dunno.

Another hypothetically useful feature (again, not necessary by any means) might be some kind of 'safety' where the warping ship won't drag other objects along with it (e.g. if you forget where you are for a minute and fire up warp engines a little too close to a station). There, too, the feature doesn't actually need to exist at all, since you can just sub-light away from the station/other ship/asteroid, as you say, but could be a handy thing assuming it's even possible.

Another hypothetically handy feature - being able to set how you circularize when you circularize, e.g. circularize into an equatorial or polar orbit, clockwise or counterclockwise, that kind of thing. Not necessary either, but could be cool or handy too. Just throwing stuff out there.

Edited by AccidentalDisassembly

56 minutes ago, AccidentalDisassembly said:

That's fine, of course. I don't even know if there are real use cases where allowing manipulation of the warp bubble size (upward from where it is right now) for a price would be useful - warp a whole fleet together, if you have enough graviolium, maybe -  just an interesting possible feature. I mean, it's certainly not necessary - since, you know, you could just dock stuff to your 'warp tugboat' if you want to warp a whole heap of things at once. But it could be cool for some unknown purpose, I dunno.

Another hypothetically useful feature (again, not necessary by any means) might be some kind of 'safety' where the warping ship won't drag other objects along with it (e.g. if you forget where you are for a minute and fire up warp engines a little too close to a station). There, too, the feature doesn't actually need to exist at all, since you can just sub-light away from the station/other ship/asteroid, as you say, but could be a handy thing assuming it's even possible.

Another hypothetically handy feature - being able to set how you circularize when you circularize, e.g. circularize into an equatorial or polar orbit, clockwise or counterclockwise, that kind of thing. Not necessary either, but could be cool or handy too. Just throwing stuff out there.

Warp dragging is a side-effect of using FloatingOrigin.SetOutOfFrameOffset to travel at warp speed; other mods use some form of velocity change, something that I found a bit problematic, and couldn't get to work right. There's no actual warp bubble involved, just the game's physics engine reacting to the SetOutOfFrameOffset. I could add a safety feature that disables the warp engine if you're in physics range of another craft, or do what I do in Kerbal Flying Saucers and update the ship's position directly when ships are in physics range.

Then again, warp dragging does make for an interesting quirk of using the warp drive... :)

Anyway, next update, if you go to warp when other ships are nearby, the engine will take their mass into account as well.

@Angel-125 I can see an enormous problem arising if anyone happens to use Physics Range Extender and adds in BlueShift on top of that. And I confirmed with @Quoniam Kerman in a Discord chat that his phrasing wasn't too good...he was only trying to praise this mod. He wasn't meaning to ask for a particular new set of warp coils.

21 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Angel-125 I can see an enormous problem arising if anyone happens to use Physics Range Extender and adds in BlueShift on top of that. And I confirmed with @Quoniam Kerman in a Discord chat that his phrasing wasn't too good...he was only trying to praise this mod. He wasn't meaning to ask for a particular new set of warp coils.

Yeah, I haven't tried the mod with PRE but I think using it could result in all of your surface bases getting warped into jool orbit for example. But I'd imagine fixing this would require major changes.
Hyped for jumpgates btw, what will the mechanics for them be? Will you have to just be near them or will you have to physically go through it?

32 minutes ago, One Random Kerbal said:

Yeah, I haven't tried the mod with PRE but I think using it could result in all of your surface bases getting warped into jool orbit for example. But I'd imagine fixing this would require major changes.
Hyped for jumpgates btw, what will the mechanics for them be? Will you have to just be near them or will you have to physically go through it?

Based on the feedback, I will do what I did for Kerbal Flying Saucers and use a different method to offset position when other ships are in physics range. If that doesn’t work then the engine will “flameout” and not operate until there are no ships within physics range.

For the jump gate, there are two types out of the box. One is discovered just like a Space Anomaly. When you discover a jump gate, it will be added to your list of known gates. To discover a gate, simply approach to within loading range (200 meters in the stock game).

You will have the option of disabling them without disabling other space anomalies. But, if you disable Space Anomalies then the jump gate space anomalies will be removed as well. Jump gates that you discover will not be enabled by default. You will need to enable them from the Game Difficulties menu.

The other gate type is one that you can build. It will be available when you unlock the Jump Tech research node. Gates that are built by you are unaffected by the Space Anomalies game setting. When you build a gate, it will be added to your network of known gates. A built jump gate will know when it is fully completed, and won’t function without all of the required pieces.

In both cases, when you approach the gate, you open a screen from the gate’s Part Action Window and select a destination gate from your network of known gates. Only gates of a similar type and that are within the gate’s jump range (if it has a maximum jump range) will be displayed. After that, you maneuver your ship through the gate. If the width and height of your ship fits inside the gate’s portal radius then you will be teleported to the destination gate in a manner similar to the stock cheat function to rendezvous with another ship. If the gate requires resources to activate then you will be teleported if your ship can pay the toll. For Blueshift gates the toll is in units of Graviolium.

I am considering a third type of gate that has unlimited range but it has a fixed destination. If you discover one of the gates, the other is automatically discovered as well. This type of gate is none other than a wormhole. I don’t think that it will be enabled out of the box, but rather, an extra that can be set up if desired.

The warp speed stopped going above 0.004c after installing  the Grannus Expansion Pack [v1.2.3]. It also won't switch from planetary to interplanetary mode. I added a last planet node but it didn't do anything.

Edited by redivh

22 minutes ago, redivh said:

The warp speed stopped going above 0.004c after installing  the Grannus Expansion Pack [v1.2.3]. It also won't switch from planetary to interplanetary mode. I added a last planet node but it didn't do anything.

Is that in JNSQ or stock?

Blueshift 1.2 is now available:

- The auto-circularize PAW button won't appear unless you're in planetary space or in interplanetary space and the star has no planets.
- There's an easter egg built into auto-circularization. I'm sure it won't take long for people to figure it out. :)
- Fixed issue with starships "warp dragging" other starships around that are in physics range.
- Fixed issue with last planet overrides where the parent star was mistakenly added as the last planet.

5 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

I wonder if Grannus expands the list of planets orbiting the Sun. What happens if you define aeeloo as the last planet of the Sun?

Adding Eeloo in the last planet node fixed it, thanks!

Edited by redivh

reading this

On 2/16/2021 at 11:10 PM, Angel-125 said:

In both cases, when you approach the gate, you open a screen from the gate’s Part Action Window and select a destination gate from your network of known gates. Only gates of a similar type and that are within the gate’s jump range (if it has a maximum jump range) will be displayed. After that, you maneuver your ship through the gate. If the width and height of your ship fits inside the gate’s portal radius then you will be teleported to the destination gate in a manner similar to the stock cheat function to rendezvous with another ship. If the gate requires resources to activate then you will be teleported if your ship can pay the toll. For Blueshift gates the toll is in units of Graviolium.

makes me think: yes it will be.

Edited by modus

7 hours ago, MatkesHulk said:

May I ask how to do this myself? Having the same issue lol :)

Are you still having trouble even with Blueshift 1.2?

2 hours ago, Starhelperdude said:

will the Jump gate be like a ''portal'' to another jump gate?

As mentioned it will work like stock cheat menu’s vessel rendezvous.

11 minutes ago, modus said:

What I think @Starhelperdude (also) meant, is that when you are teleported, are you teleported near/next to the destination gate?

If he didn't also mean that, it's something I wonder :sticktongue:

I mean you go through portal 1 and you go directly out of portal 2