[Min KSP 1.12.2] Blueshift: Kerbal FTL

Angelo Kerman

35 minutes ago, PalowPower said:

@Angel-125 I've found this mod and tried it out in 1.9.1. Well... it has the distortion effect you're looking for (i think). And maybe you can extract the code or something like that to got the effect.

Actually, Waterfall now has distortion effects. I was going to investigate using that on the warp field. :)

I'm loving this mod! It's great for building more futuristic vessels, especially in combination with your Flying Saucers mod - though I wish there was a warp module in that one (maybe small enough to fit into the hole on the gravimetric generator?), because attaching a warp engine to the saucers is always a bit difficult :confused:

One thing I've noticed is that the Blueshift Warp Engines need a lot of calibration to actually work, and that there's little margin for error or space for improvement once a ship is largely finished without compromising warp capability. This also makes warp-capable cargo vessels difficult - I've been creating warp-capable tugs that dock with my freighters and drag them along at light speed, but that's sub-optimal. Diminishing returns of warp coils/cores also seem to be pretty harsh, with a certain number of coils eventually decreasing warp capability because of their mass.

Also, just wondering, are the Lightyears shown inside the Warp Engine GUI real light years based on converted metric units, or "kerbal" light years, based on the downscaling of all physical distances ingame?

Edited by Uncommonality

Found the tetrahedron. Didn't get any tech - that's ok - but I think it would be good if there was at least a notification or message acknowledging that you found something interesting (like for the other anomalies). As it is, I was floating all around it, even managed to disassemble it lol, but nothing. Still cool, but could be even cooler :)

19 hours ago, Uncommonality said:

I'm loving this mod! It's great for building more futuristic vessels, especially in combination with your Flying Saucers mod - though I wish there was a warp module in that one (maybe small enough to fit into the hole on the gravimetric generator?), because attaching a warp engine to the saucers is always a bit difficult :confused:

One thing I've noticed is that the Blueshift Warp Engines need a lot of calibration to actually work, and that there's little margin for error or space for improvement once a ship is largely finished without compromising warp capability. This also makes warp-capable cargo vessels difficult - I've been creating warp-capable tugs that dock with my freighters and drag them along at light speed, but that's sub-optimal. Diminishing returns of warp coils/cores also seem to be pretty harsh, with a certain number of coils eventually decreasing warp capability because of their mass.

Also, just wondering, are the Lightyears shown inside the Warp Engine GUI real light years based on converted metric units, or "kerbal" light years, based on the downscaling of all physical distances ingame?

A micro warp-engine for the flying saucer is a great idea, thanks! :)

Part of the design challenge of Blueshift's warp tech is balancing out the warp tech parts needed to propel a vessel through space. If the balancing act feels too prohibitive, I'd suggest experimenting with the part masses for the generators and coils, and adjusting the warpCurve found on the warp engine parts. The standard curve is:

Spoiler

// In addition to any specified PROPELLANT resources, warp engines require warpCapacity. Only parts with
		// a WBIWarpCoil part module can generate warpCapacity.
		// The warp curve controls how much warpCapacity is neeeded to go light speed or faster.
		// The first number represents the available warpCapacity, while the second number gives multiples of C.
		// You can apply any kind of warp curve you want, but the baseline uses the Fibonacci sequence * 10.
		// It may seem steep, but in KSP's small scale, 1C is plenty fast.
		// This curve is modified by the engine's displacementImpulse and current vessel mass.
		// effectiveWarpCapacity = warpCapacity * (displacementImpulse / vessel mass)
		warpCurve
		{
			key = 1 0
			key = 10 1
			key = 30 2
			key = 50 3
			key = 80 4
			key = 130 5
			key = 210 6
			key = 340 7
			key = 550 8
			key = 890 9
			key = 1440 10
		}

I specifically designed warp engines so that players can adjust the warp curve as desired in the event the baseline proved to be undesirable. If you'd like to experiment with a different curve, here's the contents of a Module Manager patch to help you get started:

Spoiler

@PART[wbiMk2WarpCore,wbiS2WarpCore,wbiS3WarpCorewbiS3WarpEngine]:FOR[Blueshift]
{
	@MODULE[WBIWarpEngine]
	{
		// Delete the existing warp curve
		!warpCurve {}

// Create a new warp curve
		// The first number represents how many units of warpCapacity are needed,
		// the second number represents the multiple of C.
		warpCurve
		{
			key = 1 0
			// Your values here
		}
	}
}

Light-years are in real-world units of measurement. The way I figure it, Graviolium is found throughout the Kerbol system but most has sunk into the cores of the celestial bodies. It's what gives them their high gravity despite their small sizes.

3 hours ago, Grimmas said:

Found the tetrahedron. Didn't get any tech - that's ok - but I think it would be good if there was at least a notification or message acknowledging that you found something interesting (like for the other anomalies). As it is, I was floating all around it, even managed to disassemble it lol, but nothing. Still cool, but could be even cooler :)

While I did add a message for when you unlock a tech node, I can add a message for when you don't unlock a tech node as well. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

26 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

A micro warp-engine for the flying saucer is a great idea, thanks! :)

Part of the design challenge of Blueshift's warp tech is balancing out the warp tech parts needed to propel a vessel through space. If the balancing act feels too prohibitive, I'd suggest experimenting with the part masses for the generators and coils, and adjusting the warpCurve found on the warp engine parts. The standard curve is:

Reveal hidden contents

// In addition to any specified PROPELLANT resources, warp engines require warpCapacity. Only parts with
		// a WBIWarpCoil part module can generate warpCapacity.
		// The warp curve controls how much warpCapacity is neeeded to go light speed or faster.
		// The first number represents the available warpCapacity, while the second number gives multiples of C.
		// You can apply any kind of warp curve you want, but the baseline uses the Fibonacci sequence * 10.
		// It may seem steep, but in KSP's small scale, 1C is plenty fast.
		// This curve is modified by the engine's displacementImpulse and current vessel mass.
		// effectiveWarpCapacity = warpCapacity * (displacementImpulse / vessel mass)
		warpCurve
		{
			key = 1 0
			key = 10 1
			key = 30 2
			key = 50 3
			key = 80 4
			key = 130 5
			key = 210 6
			key = 340 7
			key = 550 8
			key = 890 9
			key = 1440 10
		}

I specifically designed warp engines so that players can adjust the warp curve as desired in the event the baseline proved to be undesirable. If you'd like to experiment with a different curve, here's the contents of a Module Manager patch to help you get started:

Reveal hidden contents

@PART[wbiMk2WarpCore,wbiS2WarpCore,wbiS3WarpCorewbiS3WarpEngine]:FOR[Blueshift]
{
	@MODULE[WBIWarpEngine]
	{
		// Delete the existing warp curve
		!warpCurve {}

// Create a new warp curve
		// The first number represents how many units of warpCapacity are needed,
		// the second number represents the multiple of C.
		warpCurve
		{
			key = 1 0
			// Your values here
		}
	}
}

Light-years are in real-world units of measurement. The way I figure it, Graviolium is found throughout the Kerbol system but most has sunk into the cores of the celestial bodies. It's what gives them their high gravity despite their small sizes.

No problem! Imo, one of these micro-engines should barely be enough for a basic, fully equipped flapjack (so a gravity engine, six modules and maybe ~2 tons of extra weight) to attain light speed. That way the player can either construct a "basic" model with the parts available or go a bit harder with multiple engines, expansions and external coils.

I actually love that part! It's really fun to manage exact weights based on warp capacity. I did make my own warp coils (for heavy lifting, based on your original parts) though, instead of modifying the warp metric itself. I might still do that, maybe by making capacity be a shallow exponential instead of what it is currently? That way, normal-sized vessels would still have a balanced metric while larger and larger vessels become ever-more efficient as more warp coils are added. That should cut down on some of the monstrosities I had to build in order to ferry supplies.

So graviolium has two distinct effects, then?

- If heat and pressure are applied (like in the cores of planets), then it essentially increases gravitational fields (or creates new ones).

- If an electrical current runs through it, then it decreases the effective mass of a vessel, like in Mass Effect (which you said was your inspiration for Graviolium I believe).

6 hours ago, Uncommonality said:

No problem! Imo, one of these micro-engines should barely be enough for a basic, fully equipped flapjack (so a gravity engine, six modules and maybe ~2 tons of extra weight) to attain light speed. That way the player can either construct a "basic" model with the parts available or go a bit harder with multiple engines, expansions and external coils.

I actually love that part! It's really fun to manage exact weights based on warp capacity. I did make my own warp coils (for heavy lifting, based on your original parts) though, instead of modifying the warp metric itself. I might still do that, maybe by making capacity be a shallow exponential instead of what it is currently? That way, normal-sized vessels would still have a balanced metric while larger and larger vessels become ever-more efficient as more warp coils are added. That should cut down on some of the monstrosities I had to build in order to ferry supplies.

So graviolium has two distinct effects, then?

- If heat and pressure are applied (like in the cores of planets), then it essentially increases gravitational fields (or creates new ones).

- If an electrical current runs through it, then it decreases the effective mass of a vessel, like in Mass Effect (which you said was your inspiration for Graviolium I believe).

Yes. Graviolium has two distinct effects. It is piezoelectric, and builds up a positive charge under heat and mechanical stress, which increases gravitational fields. Zapping it with positive charge also increases gravity fields. And when you apply negative charges is decreases them. And yup, Graviolium is Mass Effect's eezo in disguise. ;)  I originally wanted to create mass effects in KSP but found out that while I could reduce part mass, I couldn't reduce resource mass (long story short I can't override the part's mass calculations), so I had to rethink my approach.

One thing I should look into is whether you can create a "heavy hauler" by having just a few coils and a bunch of gravimetric generators, with the idea being that you'd go slow but haul a lot of stuff.

5 hours ago, Grimmas said:

BTW I started tracking the tetrahedron in the tracking station but a few weeks later it despawned. Is that intentional behavior or possibly a bug? I had hoped to keep it around as a sort of monument :)

If you have visited the tetrahedron once before then it shouldn't despawn.

2 hours ago, Grimmas said:

Then it's a bug. I don't have log files going that far back, unfortunately.

I've seen entries in my log indicating that during high time warp tetrahedrons can crash into neighboring bodies, especially in dense systems.

11 minutes ago, Souptime said:

what exactly DO the space anomolies do? are they jumpgates? do you gotta grapple em'? me is confused

They're like the green randoliths on various planets. Once you encounter one, you have a chance to unlock a tech node.

uafOJ1e.png

4 hours ago, PalowPower said:

Is the Mod finished? 
Or will you continue on this Mod?
And What is about Jump Drives?

Everything is finished up to the jump engines. I'm working on other projects at the moment though, and it sounds like the warp tech needs some tuning.