[Min KSP 1.12.2] Blueshift: Kerbal FTL

Angelo Kerman

20 minutes ago, Rakete said:

Do you have to mine Graviolium or can you fill it up right away from the start of a vessel from the SPH/VAB (interessting for Warp-capable-SSTOs...) at a certain cost?

Does this mod fit/work with Near/Far Future technologies from Nertea? Or does it conflict technically or resources wise e.g. with the Far future fusion reactors. Or can they be mixed and matched?

You're supposed to only have the option of mining it, and sometime ago (with the Flying Saucers mod) you could deposit mined Graviolium into a treasury under the KSC (like Nertea's Antimatter plugin provides) but that is long gone. In case you ever need to cheat (such as to troubleshoot something) Graviolium tanks have an actual cheat button on them to allow you to pre-fill them.

There is some compatibility with Nertea's mods. Graviolium is added to FFT's harvester parts and to Space Dust exosphere bands. And WBI fustion reactors stop requiring FusionPellets and start requiring LqdDeuterium (used by FFT). There's no conflict.

3 hours ago, Rakete said:

Do you have to mine Graviolium or can you fill it up right away from the start of a vessel from the SPH/VAB (interessting for Warp-capable-SSTOs...) at a certain cost? Are there also converters planned to generate graviolium out of other ressources (e.g. stuff from the NF/FF Mods or the community ressource pack?)

What are those fission pellets and electroplasma ressources for. They are not mentioned in the wiki?

And as i scanned through the configs of the mod, I saw you do something with the stock docking ports. What does it do? Does it interfere with the driftbug-fix-mod from gotmachine/JPLRepo?

I use hyperedit to fill my graviolium up

However there is a cheat in the builder that allows you to fill up the graviolium from the VAB/SPH

Yeah, i asked for this kind of pre-filling with graviolium for me to get started in e.g. a sandbox to get to know the mechanisms. And do some proof of concepts before I would carry this knowledge over to my real savegame.

What does the patch for the stock big docking port do to the port? I already have the drift-bug-fix from gotmachine installed and fear of too many mods conflicting, if they fire down on the the same part. It adds a WBIDockingAlignmentLock. Somehow i wonder if it is a problem with the new stock-locking mechanism and the driftbug-fix. All these things target the same mechanisms. Can somebody help me out to understand before I mess up a savegame with many existing stations using the Clampotron senior?

Edited by Rakete

How do I get this ugly testrig-ship to warp? It says, that it needs more power. Playing with Nertea's Mod compendium installed (including FFT and NFT)

How can I get this displacement generator to work? Playing on german localization.

KORfn9N.png

In the VAB it says it can go to warp:

QRZfv2c.jpg

Edited by Rakete

6 minutes ago, Rakete said:

How do I get this ugly testrig-ship to warp? It says, that it needs more power. Playing with Nertea's Mod compendium installed (including FFT and NFT)

How can I get this displacement generator to work? Playing on german localization.

KORfn9N.png

In the VAB it says it can go to warp:

QRZfv2c.jpg

I am having this same issue, are you experiencing crashing when staging as well?

11 minutes ago, Savitar said:

I am having this same issue, are you experiencing crashing when staging as well?

Yeah, I had a game crash on trying verything. also staging.  Also tried switching to engl. localization. Same problem. What can I do? What have I built wrong?

There is no button to make the displacement generator run. So... What to do here?!

Edited by Rakete

7 minutes ago, Rakete said:

Yeah, I had a game crash on trying verything. also staging.  Also tried switching to engl. localization. Same problem. What can I do? What have I built wrong?

There is no button to make the displacement generator run. So... What to do here?!

I was able to make a space plane that used just the warp coils and it worked, you have everything.

I thought I was the only one experiencing crashing, nice to know I am not alone

Edit: a ready to use warpdrive does work if I add LqDeut AND activate the Main Power (Power generation) other power sources are not used. But my build above with a seperate big fusion reactor (from FFT) does not accept the LqDeut and the provided energy. Broken Patches for FFT ?! Need building advice OR if it's a bug a correction.

Also noticed a soundbug: There are cracks if you accelerate to fast. Some kind of double click. 

I am using the newest version of Blueshift (1.6.0) and KSP 1.12.2

Also: Is there a way to limit the maximum Speed at full throttle? I'm using no planetary expansion right now and want to limit it to 2c at maximum..  Can I set a limiter somewhere in the configs? If not, would you consider providing this setting? @Angel-125

Another Bug detected: If I turn the auto-circularizer on in the settings, the button is still hidden in the menu of the warp drive if I arrive at a planet.

jYf2tmB.png

Edited by Rakete

No tweakscale involved - haven't got this mod. This is the Nereid command pod from Near Future. But changing the commandpod doesn't change anything.

So I took my multipart warp drive from the first post suddenly it worked. Than I removed the LqDeut tanks and relaunched. It didnt work anymore. Re-added the SAME tanks and launched again. Didn't work anymore. So to my mind mind, this mod needs still some debugging.

19 minutes ago, Rakete said:

So I took my multipart warp drive from the first post suddenly it worked. Than I removed the LqDeut tanks and relaunched. It didnt work anymore. Re-added the SAME tanks and launched again. Didn't work anymore. So to my mind mind, this mod needs still some debugging.

Ohhhh. That's all kinds of weird. I'm sad that you have to experience that.

2 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Ohhhh. That's all kinds of weird. I'm sad that you have to experience that.

I think it's on a good way - but there might some steps to take. Here my thoughts - you may consider it or drop it :cool::

• The bugged behavior mentioned above should be fixed
  • The double sound crack if moving throttle fast should be fixed
  • A optional speedlimit for usage in a unmodded solar system would be usefull (to make it work with sensible speeds... e.g. 2c is enough for the vanilla star system - but enough to make it feel wooooow! Otherwise a modded star system would be a dependency. Just give a speed limiter option of the maximum reachable Warp speed in the main config, and scale the throttle setting and warp effects to it. Other option: maybe consider to kerbalize the value of c by factor 1/10 to match the size of the vanilla solar system.
  • The drive should not require to turn on it's main power supply in order to work. It should instead also accept power sources e.g. fusion or fission reactors from FFT or NFE (both Nertea stuff).
  • The speedcontrol is kinda complicated. You have to increase throttle until some threshold is reached, to get the vessel even moving. This is kinda unintuitive and the minimal warp speed is kinda unpredictable.
  • The warpspeed depends on SOI and has hard jumps. This makes it complicated to controll and not to overshoot
  • The auto-circularize button is not available in most cases even if activated in settings, as soon as you accelerated once using the warp drive. Bug, needs fix.

Hope it helps. Feel free to use this as polite input.

(no native speaker, so don't misunderstand me, if things should sound unpolite - this is not intenional)

Edited by Rakete

On 9/26/2021 at 9:29 AM, Rakete said:

Edit: a ready to use warpdrive does work if I add LqDeut AND activate the Main Power (Power generation) other power sources are not used. But my build above with a seperate big fusion reactor (from FFT) does not accept the LqDeut and the provided energy. Broken Patches for FFT ?! Need building advice OR if it's a bug a correction.

Also noticed a soundbug: There are cracks if you accelerate to fast. Some kind of double click. 

I am using the newest version of Blueshift (1.6.0) and KSP 1.12.2

Also: Is there a way to limit the maximum Speed at full throttle? I'm using no planetary expansion right now and want to limit it to 2c at maximum..  Can I set a limiter somewhere in the configs? If not, would you consider providing this setting? @Angel-125

Another Bug detected: If I turn the auto-circularizer on in the settings, the button is still hidden in the menu of the warp drive if I arrive at a planet.

The warp engines with built-in rings have everything that you need in order to propel a ship. When you use the S-3 "Trek" Warp Core, S-2 "Planet's Edge" Warp Core, Mk2 "Starflight" Warp Core, they all come with "Main Power" converters, but you need to add warp coils to your ship as well. If you want to add more capacity to go faster or move more mass, then you need to add a Gravimetric Displacement Generator.  the FFT fusion reactors don't generate the gravity waves that you need in order to power your warp engines. They just provide electric charge. With FFT, the gravimetric displacement generators will use LqdDeuterium instead of FusionPellets.

To limit maximum speed at full throttle, you can adjust the engine's Thrust Limiter. On the warp engine, the Thrust Limiter works the same way as it does on a conventional rocket engine in KSP. So, if you have set full throttle but your Thrust Limiter is at 10% then your thrust will be 10% of maximum. Similarly for warp engines, if you have throttle set to full and your Thrust Limiter is at 10% then you'll only go 10% of your maximum warp speed. This is not the same thing as limiting maximum velocity to 2C, but it should help. Limiting max velocity based on solar system is nearly impossible due to the wide variety of planet packs that exist.

I can't do much about the SOI changes as that depends upon the game and its SOI changes.

I have re-verified that the Auto-circularize orbit button and functionality is working as intended, and appears when the game difficulty option is enabled, and vanishes when it is disabled. You can only auto-circularize if you are near a planet, moon, or a star with no planets.

I also verified that starting the warp engines through staging or through manual activation works and isn't causing KSP to crash.

I did manage a few bug fixes for Blueshift, so Blueshift 1.6.1 is now available:

Changes

Warp Engines

- The planetary SOI warp curve won't be applied if the vessel's max warp speed is below 0.001c. This will help prevent underpowered vessels from crawling at a snail's pace
when in planetary space.
- For lazy players: If a warp engine has power converters built in, then when you start the engine, the converters will also be automatically started as well.
- The vessel course (a.k.a. selected target) and distance to target displays will be hidden when there is no target selected.
- The Max Warp Speed and FTL Check displays will be hidden when the warp engine is shut down.
- The Auto-circularize orbit button will be hidden when the warp engine is shut down.
- The maximum warp speed display will be updated even when the throttle is at 0.
- The FTL Check display now handles the case where the throttle is at 0.
- Fixed issue where the warp engine flames out if the throttle is at 0.
- Fixed "double-dipping" issue where warp capacity was affected by throttle, and speed was affected by throttle as well. Now, just warp speed is affected by the throttle.

10 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

The warp engines with built-in rings have everything that you need in order to propel a ship. When you use the S-3 "Trek" Warp Core, S-2 "Planet's Edge" Warp Core, Mk2 "Starflight" Warp Core, they all come with "Main Power" converters, but you need to add warp coils to your ship as well. If you want to add more capacity to go faster or move more mass, then you need to add a Gravimetric Displacement Generator.  the FFT fusion reactors don't generate the gravity waves that you need in order to power your warp engines. They just provide electric charge. With FFT, the gravimetric displacement generators will use LqdDeuterium instead of FusionPellets.

To limit maximum speed at full throttle, you can adjust the engine's Thrust Limiter. On the warp engine, the Thrust Limiter works the same way as it does on a conventional rocket engine in KSP. So, if you have set full throttle but your Thrust Limiter is at 10% then your thrust will be 10% of maximum. Similarly for warp engines, if you have throttle set to full and your Thrust Limiter is at 10% then you'll only go 10% of your maximum warp speed. This is not the same thing as limiting maximum velocity to 2C, but it should help. Limiting max velocity based on solar system is nearly impossible due to the wide variety of planet packs that exist.

I can't do much about the SOI changes as that depends upon the game and its SOI changes.

I have re-verified that the Auto-circularize orbit button and functionality is working as intended, and appears when the game difficulty option is enabled, and vanishes when it is disabled. You can only auto-circularize if you are near a planet, moon, or a star with no planets.

I also verified that starting the warp engines through staging or through manual activation works and isn't causing KSP to crash.

I did manage a few bug fixes for Blueshift, so Blueshift 1.6.1 is now available:

Changes

Warp Engines

- The planetary SOI warp curve won't be applied if the vessel's max warp speed is below 0.001c. This will help prevent underpowered vessels from crawling at a snail's pace
when in planetary space.
- For lazy players: If a warp engine has power converters built in, then when you start the engine, the converters will also be automatically started as well.
- The vessel course (a.k.a. selected target) and distance to target displays will be hidden when there is no target selected.
- The Max Warp Speed and FTL Check displays will be hidden when the warp engine is shut down.
- The Auto-circularize orbit button will be hidden when the warp engine is shut down.
- The maximum warp speed display will be updated even when the throttle is at 0.
- The FTL Check display now handles the case where the throttle is at 0.
- Fixed issue where the warp engine flames out if the throttle is at 0.
- Fixed "double-dipping" issue where warp capacity was affected by throttle, and speed was affected by throttle as well. Now, just warp speed is affected by the throttle.

Alright, thank you for verifying that Blueshift isn't causing KSP to crash, well the mod alone. I have the recommended mods that adds in galaxy n stuff. Perhaps something there is causing the crashing issue?

Edited by Savitar
...don't ask

3 hours ago, Kebab Kerman said:

Is there a limit to the size of jumpgates? Please tell me there isn't.

The only size limit to jumpgates is the inner dimension of the ring; your ship needs to be small enough to fit through the inner ring. Technically, you just need a portion of your vessel to touch the shimmering portal in order to initiate the jump, So I guess as long as you have something that fits within the dimensions of the gate, your ship can be humongous if you want. The only limit you might run into is the Graviolium toll that your ship must pay in order to jump.  The cost is 5 units per metric ton of ship mass.

In terms of making a new jumpgate part, there is no size limit.

I had some trouble finding asteriods in my modded Install which includes Blueshift, so I tried a clean install with just Blueshift.

1.It loads much faster actually, which is really convenient!

2. The asteriods appear around the Kerbin System now (before they appeared all around the Galaxies Unbound Galaxy, and I had nearly all the systems installed. Hardly any were actually within reach without FTL)

3. Unfortunately, this mod itself doesn't seem to work for me right now. I've got an S3 Warp Engine, Lander Can, and some SAS and batteries by itself on a craft (from what I understand this should at least be capable of FTL and passes the check in the editor) however spawned in, the drive (and any combination of drives that I've tested actually) always say they "need more power." 

Also to note, the warp engine, when throttled up, continues to consume small amounts of graviolium even when not able to actually perform FTL. 

I've also included my mod list in CKAN (my only way of downloading mods for this install) if that helps. I only downloaded Blueshift and the recommended mods that came with it. 

QKmo0l4.png

ZgVr7hM.png

Edited by Dobelong

57 minutes ago, Dobelong said:

I had some trouble finding asteriods in my modded Install which includes Blueshift, so I tried a clean install with just Blueshift.

1.It loads much faster actually, which is really convenient!

2. The asteriods appear around the Kerbin System now (before they appeared all around the Galaxies Unbound Galaxy, and I had nearly all the systems installed. Hardly any were actually within reach without FTL)

3. Unfortunately, this mod itself doesn't seem to work for me right now. I've got an S3 Warp Engine, Lander Can, and some SAS and batteries by itself on a craft (from what I understand this should at least be capable of FTL and passes the check in the editor) however spawned in, the drive (and any combination of drives that I've tested actually) always say they "need more power." 

Also to note, the warp engine, when throttled up, continues to consume small amounts of graviolium even when not able to actually perform FTL. 

I've also included my mod list in CKAN (my only way of downloading mods for this install) if that helps. I only downloaded Blueshift and the recommended mods that came with it. 

QKmo0l4.png

ZgVr7hM.png

Try installing the latest version from github:

https://github.com/Angel-125/Blueshift/releases/tag/v1.6.1

19 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Try installing the latest version from github:

https://github.com/Angel-125/Blueshift/releases/tag/v1.6.1

I deleted the WildBlueIndustries folder from GameData and replaced it with the GitHub download.
Unfortunately, the exact same thing appears to be happening. Warp engines will pass the FTL check in editor but say "Needs More Power" in flight.
Notably the warp effects still activate for the 2.5m warp ring, but the spacecraft doesn't go anywhere.
Not sure if this could be related but the spatial location always says "unknown"

4 hours ago, Dobelong said:

I deleted the WildBlueIndustries folder from GameData and replaced it with the GitHub download.
Unfortunately, the exact same thing appears to be happening. Warp engines will pass the FTL check in editor but say "Needs More Power" in flight.
Notably the warp effects still activate for the 2.5m warp ring, but the spacecraft doesn't go anywhere.
Not sure if this could be related but the spatial location always says "unknown"

Well, the only thing that I can find that might cause that is when you don't hit spacebar to stage the engine and you use the Part Action Menu to Activate the warp engine.

I've released Blueshift 1.6.2 to address that.

If that still happens, please let me know. :)

9 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Well, the only thing that I can find that might cause that is when you don't hit spacebar to stage the engine and you use the Part Action Menu to Activate the warp engine.

I've released Blueshift 1.6.2 to address that.

If that still happens, please let me know. :)

Oh snap, I never thought of that :confused:

Thanks for the patch!