[Min KSP 1.12.2] Blueshift: Kerbal FTL

Angelo Kerman

12 minutes ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

Along those lines - I'd love to see harvested graviolium degrade over time.. maybe into Ore or vacuum or something equally useless - though no idea how that would play out in the programming.

Like antimatter escaping through a magnetic bottle after time, or hydrogen boiling off?

6 minutes ago, Teslamax said:

Like antimatter escaping through a magnetic bottle after time, or hydrogen boiling off?

Exactly!  I don't think the game will allow for a proper box around said degredation though.  I recall the early game contracts to move so much ore from Mun or Minmus to Kerbin orbit.  If you had sufficient ore at the source and destination - all good.  It could not track shipments.  I can see how that would just get out of control though.

Antimatter escaping from the magnetic bottle... huhhhh  That would seem to be full of "excitement".

2 minutes ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

Antimatter escaping from the magnetic bottle... huhhhh  That would seem to be full of "excitement".

Well, in supercollider experiments there isn't much to start with. In this case... likely very exciting.

Storage system should have superconducting magnets or something... with fancy reserve power technobabble.

Edited by Teslamax

31 minutes ago, Teslamax said:

Well, in supercollider experiments there isn't much to start with. In this case... likely very exciting.

Storage system should have superconducting magnets or something... with fancy reserve power technobabble.

Given the energy levels involved with anti-matter, I would think that even a few atoms worth escaping and interacting with "normal" matter could begin a cascade given that you have electronics that are keeping the whole thing ostensibly in check.

Agreed though... massive reserve technobabble is likely key to the success of the whole thing.  How does it work?  Very well, thank you

I think the best thing to do is dial back the ease of collecting graviolium. Graviolium isn't really antimatter so it doesn't leak out. Speaking of graviolium collection, I'm making more progress on the bussard collector:

tf6MDVx.png

I need to adjust the dome's opacity. I'm also finding that the stock resource harvester shuts off if it can't find any graviolium, and the animation module I built can depend upon it. Right now I have a manual override enabled to make it spin, but I think the spinning should sync with the warp engine and not depend upon the harvester. I also have to decide if I want to make a traditional "basket" variant like this:

87f3d3b67774943506dc0e073fc8013d.jpg

Once I figure that out I'll make a Size 1 version. On the plus side, I fixed the issue where warp coils would power up with throttle movements even when there were no warp engines running.

10 hours ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

@Angel-125 I just installed Blueshift 1.7.7 and got a MM error for Spacedust patch.  It looks like this is the source

[ERR 18:07:00.652] pass specifier detected on insert node (not a patch): WildBlueIndustries/Blueshift/Patches/SpaceDust/SPACEDUST_INSTRUMENT:NEEDS[!WildBlueIndustries/FlyingSaucers]:AFTER[SpaceDust]

Given I don't use SpaceDust, I'd guess it's safe to just delete that patch for now?

This is a syntax error and already fixed in Blueshift 1.7.8

If you do not use SpaceDust then it is safe to delete that patch though. 

12 hours ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

Annihilation is much more common than you think. A green laser pointer uses annihilation of positron-electron pairs for turning red light into green. The photon passing through a non-linear crystal can create a positron-electron pair that immediately annihilates with a pair of particles from another photon emitting photons with double frequency. This is how Sum-frequency generation works and nothing exiting happens. Even a small leak of anti-protons should be much more "exciting" due to their higher mass but they will have hard times finding a proton to annihilate with because of these nasty electrons that usually surround protons and repulse negatively charged particles  (including anti-protons)

Edited by Manul

Since Gravi is rare, and there a no ways to produce it like antimatter (in the FFT Mod: produceable under usage of veeeery much ECs (i guess it was 10.000 EC/s), fissionable materials and monstrous amounts of heat), I would prefer, that it does not boil off/diminish. In the FFT Mod, we have already things boiling of (like Cryo Fuels in CryoEngines Mod by nertea) if not cooled using ECs or having to be contained using ECs because it will explode if not (Antimatter in the FFT Mod by Nertea)... no need to copy those mechanisms.

11 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

I think the best thing to do is dial back the ease of collecting graviolium. Graviolium isn't really antimatter so it doesn't leak out. Speaking of graviolium collection, I'm making more progress on the bussard collector:

tf6MDVx.png

I need to adjust the dome's opacity. I'm also finding that the stock resource harvester shuts off if it can't find any graviolium, and the animation module I built can depend upon it. Right now I have a manual override enabled to make it spin, but I think the spinning should sync with the warp engine and not depend upon the harvester. I also have to decide if I want to make a traditional "basket" variant like this:

87f3d3b67774943506dc0e073fc8013d.jpg

Once I figure that out I'll make a Size 1 version. On the plus side, I fixed the issue where warp coils would power up with throttle movements even when there were no warp engines running.

The basket version looks a bit like the PK-EXO from Far Future Tech by Nertea. Sure you want to close up to the same astetics/design? It is much work to do extend/retract animations of such a basket. 

1 hour ago, Rakete said:

The basket version looks a bit like the PK-EXO from Far Future Tech by Nertea. Sure you want to close up to the same astetics/design? It is much work to do extend/retract animations of such a basket. 

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Plus it's more work for me to make a basket variant of the part. I'd rather focus on tricking out the trek-looking scoop and make it look nice. To that end, I'm looking into how to sync it up with the warp engine such that, if running, the glowy-spinny-bits glow and spin with throttle adjustments of the running engine. That would take precedence over the collector's current state- which annoyingly shuts off if there's no exospheric graviolium to collect. So, while technically the spinning and glowing is associated with resource collection, it glows and spins while at warp. Heck, maybe when the engine is running and you're warping around, the part might generate a tiny amount of graviolium, just to drive home that it's collecting stuff. I'll have to think about that.

In the case of SpaceDust, it does a much better job of defining exospheric resources, and I think it doesn't just shut off in disgust if it can't find anything to collect. If someone could confirm that, I'd appreciate the help. :)

I think I found a bug:

Have a look at this bundle... If I only have Auxilium Parts mounted, I can close the fairing. But as soon as I add the Porta Astria (non-aux) instead of an Aux-Module I can't close the fairing around them anymore. Even more, I a click into an empty space near the PA Part, the PA part is selected. Something is wrong about it's colliders or so. You can also track it down, if you only load the PA and compare its Height/Width/Length in KSPs VAB tool to the PA Auxilium.

Without a fairing around it, it's hard to launch the stuff. Maybe the dragcube is also affected? I hesitate to put this part into one of my SSTOs.

@Angel-125

BmCkPLE.png

Edited by Rakete

58 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

In the case of SpaceDust, it does a much better job of defining exospheric resources, and I think it doesn't just shut off in disgust if it can't find anything to collect. If someone could confirm that, I'd appreciate the help. :)

The spacedust collectors are activated manually. And when they are activated they collect if they are placed in an ressource containing area. I think, there is a plugin made by nertea for this mechanism. They collect also when the vehicle is unloaded / not in flight scene. Maybe it helps to have a look at nerteas code in the github repo to understand what it can do. Maybe you can make Blueshift hook into the mechanisms. https://github.com/post-kerbin-mining-corporation/SpaceDust Maybe it saves you some work and headache.

You could make Spacedust a dependency. It's just a simple stand-alone-able Mod with not so much parts (but remember, the exo-collector is not part of spacedust. This explicit part belongs to FFT, which uses Spacedust as dependency)

Edited by Rakete

On 5/17/2022 at 9:58 PM, Rakete said:

I think I found a bug:

Have a look at this bundle... If I only have Auxilium Parts mounted, I can close the fairing. But as soon as I add the Porta Astria (non-aux) instead of an Aux-Module I can't close the fairing around them anymore. Even more, I a click into an empty space near the PA Part, the PA part is selected. Something is wrong about it's colliders or so. You can also track it down, if you only load the PA and compare its Height/Width/Length in KSPs VAB tool to the PA Auxilium.

Without a fairing around it, it's hard to launch the stuff. Maybe the dragcube is also affected? I hesitate to put this part into one of my SSTOs.

@Angel-125

BmCkPLE.png

@Angel-125 Somehow I wonder, if this might not be intended behavior because you reserved the full volumina for tge full circle? But how is it intended to be brought to orbit/ other planets?

Edited by Rakete

10 minutes ago, Rakete said:

@Angel-125 Somehow I wonder, if this might not be intended behavior because you reserved the reserved the full volumina for tge full circle? But how is it intended to be brought to orbit/ other planets?

Build a fairing, then put the module in, the invisible space has no Collision, and I think it's only there to detect whether a ship is going through the gate.

44 minutes ago, Rakete said:

@Angel-125 Somehow I wonder, if this might not be intended behavior because you reserved the reserved the full volumina for tge full circle? But how is it intended to be brought to orbit/ other planets?

29 minutes ago, Clancythecat said:

Build a fairing, then put the module in, the invisible space has no Collision, and I think it's only there to detect whether a ship is going through the gate.

I can investigate once I'm done with the Bussard collectors and the plasma vents. Speaking of collectors, the size 1 collectors are done:

AKGPhnJ.png

I also created a new WBIWarpSpeedHarvester part module to harvest resources while at warp. You get very little graviolium when in interplanetary/interstellar space (planetary space isn't supported, ModuleResourceConverter handles that), but the collection settings can be adjusted.

Quick question:

How are jumpgates supposed to be assembled?

I have ReCoupler installed and built one fully assembled in the VAB. I then cheated it into orbit and it wobbled. Is it likely poor/misaligned RCS placement or ReCoupler's "invisible strut" mechanic isn't aligned itself?

17 hours ago, Clancythecat said:

Aaah right... forgot about this trick... will try this.

17 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

I can investigate once I'm done with the Bussard collectors and the plasma vents. Speaking of collectors, the size 1 collectors are done:

AKGPhnJ.png

I also created a new WBIWarpSpeedHarvester part module to harvest resources while at warp. You get very little graviolium when in interplanetary/interstellar space (planetary space isn't supported, ModuleResourceConverter handles that), but the collection settings can be adjusted.

How is the planetary harvesting supposed to work? Does it use Spacedust belts or does it harvest "everywhere" ?

1 hour ago, Rakete said:

Aaah right... forgot about this trick... will try this.

How is the planetary harvesting supposed to work? Does it use Spacedust belts or does it harvest "everywhere" ?

Planetary harvesting isn’t supported. The stock harvesting module is used instead. Warp speed harvester is for interplanetary and interstellar only 

51 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Planetary harvesting isn’t supported. The stock harvesting module is used instead. Warp speed harvester is for interplanetary and interstellar only 

By planetary I meant in a planetary SOI. E.g. near Eve... will it continue to use the FFT Spacedust collector or will the bussard collector not work near planets?

Just now, Rakete said:

By planetary I meant in a planetary SOI. E.g. near Eve... will it continue to use the FFT Spacedust collector or will the bussard collector not work near planets?

Correct. When orbiting a planet, the part will use the stock ModuleResourceCollector or FFT's SpaceDust. When orbiting a star or going in between stars, the warp speed harvester will kick in.

Making progress on the plasma vent:

mNAyyVN.png

This will be available if you have Kerbal Flying Saucers. It works exactly like the plasma contactor from KFS, but on a larger scale. I hope to finish it up by the end of the weekend.

If @Rakete, @Grimmas, and @Vexxel can finalize the SpaceDust configs by then, I'd appreciate it. I am stepping away from Blueshift next week and getting back to Buffalo 2.

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

If @Rakete, @Grimmas, and @Vexxel can finalize the SpaceDust configs by then, I'd appreciate it. I am stepping away from Blueshift next week and getting back to Buffalo 2

My config is/was there for download. You or the others may finetune the abundances to your liking. Feel free to cut them in half or down to a quarter, as you wish. I explained my thoughts and the my logic behind atmospheric heights and abundance comparison between planets Eve, Kerbin and Jool. So a baseline is there (i remember something about a 1500 gravi tank in 70 days @ Jool's Ring to take it home if I remember correctly (reason: you get the chance to meet the next tranfer window home for newtonian transfers)) - please feel free to finetune this baseline to make the mod meet your vision of it. Cut in half means 140 days... cut it to a quarter means 300 days for this tank... 

3 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

When orbiting a planet, the part will use the stock ModuleResourceCollector or FFT's SpaceDust

There is a stock ModuleResourcecollector? Where is it used in stock? In Stock KSP I only know of the drill  which needs a solid ground to drill in - which is obviously not the usecase of your new shiny collector (Did I mention, that i like the startrek looks of it?) How does the resourcemodule in stock work, that you mentioned, which seems not to work with spacdust-introduced ressource bands in space? I am interested in the game mechanics behind it.

Edited by Rakete

52 minutes ago, Rakete said:

My config is/was there for download. You or the others may finetune the abundances to your liking. Feel free to cut them in half or down to a quarter, as you wish. I explained my thoughts and the my logic behind atmospheric heights and abundance comparison between planets Eve, Kerbin and Jool. So a baseline is there (i remember something about a 1500 gravi tank in 70 days @ Jool's Ring to take it home if I remember correctly (reason: you get the chance to meet the next tranfer window home for newtonian transfers)) - please feel free to finetune this baseline to make the mod meet your vision of it. Cut in half means 140 days... cut it to a quarter means 300 days for this tank... 

There is a stock ModuleResourcecollector? Where is it used in stock? In Stock KSP I only know of the drill  which needs a solid ground to drill in - which is obviously not the usecase of your new shiny collector (Did I mention, that i like the startrek looks of it?) How does the resourcemodule in stock work, that you mentioned, which seems not to work with spacdust-introduced ressource bands in space? I am interested in the game mechanics behind it.

Sorry, that should be ModuleResourceHarvester. I simply don't have time to fine-tune the collection rates, so I need help with that. I downloaded your latest SpaceDust config, is that the one that fills a 1500-unit tank in 70 days with SpaceDust? 70 days seems reasonable.

23 minutes ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

@Angel-125 I've lost track on things.  Did you add in the warp capability to the alien saucers?

No. The flying saucer anomaly doesn't have warp by design. The aliens either didn't have that tech, or didn't use it on the saucers that you can find. They do have Crazy Mode, which is a precursor to warp tech. IF by some chance I can finish up the Excalibur mothership, it will have warp engines.