[Min KSP 1.12.2] Blueshift: Kerbal FTL

Angelo Kerman

18 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

No. The flying saucer anomaly doesn't have warp by design. The aliens either didn't have that tech, or didn't use it on the saucers that you can find. They do have Crazy Mode, which is a precursor to warp tech. IF by some chance I can finish up the Excalibur mothership, it will have warp engines.

Ok then.  Somehow I got it in my head that you had just forgotten to add that code into the saucers.
Jeb now has the bits needed for his orbital sculpture garden.  Now if I can find the time for it. 

7 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

I hope to finish it up by the end of the weekend.

If @Rakete, @Grimmas, and @Vexxel can finalize the SpaceDust configs by then, I'd appreciate it. I am stepping away from Blueshift next week and getting back to Buffalo 2.

I may look at it this weekend but no promises. TBH I do not find much joy in balancing mods :) and I'm still far off from actually using Blueshift and SpaceDust in my career saves. 

You may be better off integrating or adapting Rakete's version if his numbers work for you.

@Angel-125 I know this isn't your problem - but this is interesting.  I did a test run with Valentinas Warp Tanker out to Nova Kirbani in a separate save - but with all up to date versions of stuff.

It took a bit over 15 minutes to depart Kerbol SOI at 2.36C

Spoiler

NYyTbIq.png

And here we are in interstellar space to Nova Kerbani.  Expected speed.

Spoiler

DupkQaJ.png

Then, at about the 3/4 mark to Nova Kirbani, the game started locking up for as much as a minute at a time.  Any ideas at all?  It feels like it's possibly to do with the game trying to keep up with the very high speed with the warp - but I just don't know.  I'm running an I7-10700K with 64GB RAM and a very performant SSD dedicated to KSP so that's probably not the issue.

Possibly a question for Starcrusher96?

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

I've done the same Blueshift run to Nova Kirbani at high c and had no such issues (well, not quite true, but my issues were more like exploding when landing on planets around Nova Kirbani a). So YMMV. I have a high end PC though. Post your logs?

10 hours ago, Grimmas said:

I've done the same Blueshift run to Nova Kirbani at high c and had no such issues (well, not quite true, but my issues were more like exploding when landing on planets around Nova Kirbani a). So YMMV. I have a high end PC though. Post your logs?

I think that I will do more testing before I waste anyones time. 

20 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Sorry, that should be ModuleResourceHarvester. I simply don't have time to fine-tune the collection rates, so I need help with that. I downloaded your latest SpaceDust config, is that the one that fills a 1500-unit tank in 70 days with SpaceDust? 70 days seems reasonable.

Eeeh... i hope so. I think I will be on my computer tomorrow and will upload my current version of the config in case i changed something in detail since the last upload. Just to make sure. Unfortunately i am not on my pc right now. Here's a big thunderstorm right over my town and I got other RL stuff to do, to make the last things around here stormproof. So sorry for having to wait a few more hours, but it's gonna be a stormy night over here.

A question upon the stargates.... If I activate a a portal e.g. from kerbin to Jool, is it also active in the other direction? Or do I have to make sure, that the distant gate is remote controllable to ensure the kerbals can also return home at all?

Edited by Rakete

32 minutes ago, Rakete said:

Eeeh... i hope so. I think I will be on my computer tomorrow and will upload my current version of the config in case i changed something in detail since the last upload. Just to make sure. Unfortunately i am not on my pc right now. Here's a big thunderstorm right over my town and I got other RL stuff to do, to make the last things around here stormproof. So sorry for having to wait a few more hours, but it's gonna be a stormy night over here.

A question upon the stargates.... If I activate a a portal e.g. from kerbin to Jool, is it also active in the other direction? Or do I have to make sure, that the distant gate is remote controllable to ensure the kerbals can also return home at all?

The jumpgate travel is one way, meaning that you activate the gate on your end, jump through, and the remote gate is deactivated when you arrive. To go back, you just need to activate the local gate. The control segment of a jumpgate is a probe core, though depending upon the distance to the homeworld and your game settings, it might not have a connection. But I set up the jumpgates so they can be controlled by the active vessel-and that includes a kerbal on EVA.

Meanwhile, I've finished the new warp tech parts and have a bug fix for the trigger-collider issue on the jumpgate control segment. I've also uncovered an issue with SpaceDust where it can't load the config of a part that has ModuleSpaceDustHarvester patched into the part via ModuleManager. I have a fix for that and should have a pull request for @Nertea later today.

15 hours ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

Man... this is some nice stuff @Angel-125.  Very pretty.  It will be interesting to retrofit and see how it offsets graviolium usage.  Fusion pellets will quickly become the constraint.
BTW - I'm liking the new audio effects of the warp engine.

Not if you use FFT. There you use LqDeuterium instead of pellets, which can be harvested in orbit. This opens up whole possibilities. Maybe give nerteas Mod suite a chance?! They fit nicely to blushift.

8 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Meanwhile, I've finished the new warp tech parts and have a bug fix for the trigger-collider issue on the jumpgate control segment. I've also uncovered an issue with SpaceDust where it can't load the config of a part that has ModuleSpaceDustHarvester patched into the part via ModuleManager. I have a fix for that and should have a pull request for @Nertea later today.

Hope Nertea answers. He's kinda retired from modding KSP1 due to being employed for KSP2.

On 5/19/2022 at 12:29 PM, Angel-125 said:

Making progress on the plasma vent:

mNAyyVN.png

This will be available if you have Kerbal Flying Saucers. It works exactly like the plasma contactor from KFS, but on a larger scale. I hope to finish it up by the end of the weekend.

If @Rakete, @Grimmas, and @Vexxel can finalize the SpaceDust configs by then, I'd appreciate it. I am stepping away from Blueshift next week and getting back to Buffalo 2.

Request: if KFS is not installed, the part still exists, because it looks cool and that is enough of a purpose

@Angel-125

Alright, here is my latest edit on the configs: -------> https://www.filemail.com/d/tyoxqlutlrlhwbg <------- right out of my gamedata. If I changed something after the last uploaded version it should be included in the file, I guess. :-)

Sidenote: I just adjusted the values for kerbin, Jool and Eve. The GEP configs are untouched, since I didn't know, how big the planets are and if they should give extra bonuses on gravi because of their distance and so on. I'd pass this job over to GEP-users, since I can't test them right now. (Uninstalled Koperincus temporarily due to visually annoying bugs until fix).

As for the Stargate: I love it! How is it supposed to be supplied/refilled with graviolium, as the gravi-tax is paid by the gate? How does it behave, if you send a kerbal without helmet eg. from Kerbin to Duna? I really like it. Since I haven't gotten to place a Stargate in Orbit yet, a stupid question: Does it close automaticly after a travel or is there a shutdown button?

And for the warp-system: Is the white warp vortex always projected 10m in front of the most forward part or in a certain distance from the warp core part ? (Just visually relevant for me in order to design aesthetically pleasing crafts)...

May ask a request? The settings only allow the destructive start-up if you have space anomalies enabled. Can we have the dangerous gate startup vortex (kawoosh... like in Stargate) also if we don't have space anomalies engaged and place the gates ourselves?

Edited by Rakete

12 hours ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

Nertea being on the KSP2 team is good to hear.  Push back for KSP2 to "early 2023 for PC" is less awesome.

Yes, Nertea did great stuff in the past. Hope many things find their way into KSP 2. E.g. his rework of the heatsystem with the Systemheat mod and the Heat Control mod... and the whole Near Future and Far Future Mod Suite by him. I would never play KSP without them anymore.

The delay of KSP2: I got mixed feelings about it. If they deliver a more bugfree version, I will be happy about the delay. A forced release is always bad for all, esp. the customers. See: Elite Dangerous Odyssey. Borked from the ground and canceled for consoles afterwards after promissing all and making players spend more money on ingame cosmetics (I play ED on console).... Broken promisses and lies - they treated us like a financial milk cow by not telling us that we are gonna be left behind and than sent us to the butcher for the sake of a better money/effort-ratio (it would have run on consoles if optimized properly - it's no visual firework, that they created compared to older games that run well on consoles). Then it's better to delay a release and only give realistic statements instead of promissing heaven and not delivering while taking money for a waiting ticket (e.g. Star Citizen, which probably will never be completed but eats RL money for many players).

Edited by Rakete

@Grimmas @Rakete much appreciated, thank you! This weekend I will grab that and incorporate it into Blueshift. I also need to finish up the miniature jumpgate texturing and make a platform for it. I will also make sure the destructive effects toggle is always available.

The gate automatically shuts down after you travel through it. As for what happens on the other side, better wear a helmet, you are likely to go poof if you port into a vacuum. The gate doesn’t store Graviolium, hence the tanks mounted to the side. It is up to the player to find a refueling system- KAS pipes, docking ports on the vessel, and the stock grabbers come to mind.

The cone-like bow wave warp effect moves as best it can to the front of the vessel. It isn’t perfect so it will need experimentation.

@SkyFall2489 Done! Without Kerbal Flying Saucers it is just a decorative piece.

@Angel-125

Is it possible to ask a wish? For FFT-Users: We use LqDe instead of pellets. That's great, since we can use the fusion ressources we already harvest in FFT and it fits nicely in the FFT-environment by Nertea. Thanks for that! I love it... Buuuut:

This is the smallest LqDeut-Tank we have in FFT:

Vm9UG2l.png

Not very streamlined for Mk2-Ships, right ? Can you provide/change a patch, that gives us one of your MK2 Fusionpellet tanks and turns them into a LqDeuterium storage, if we have FFT installed?

The shown tank holds 1250 LqDe. So for a re-used Mk2 Pellet tank I would suggest 500-1000 LqDe for FFT-Users (depending on the length of your tank).

Also: I think I found a little bug. The max warpspeed prediction sometimes doesn't meet the values if you port this vehicle into space - even if you play around with the supercharger in the VAB.

Maybe it would also be a good a idea to show three diferent max warp speeds: Planetary, Interplanetary and interstellar in the PAW? Just suggestions.

Edited by Rakete

2 minutes ago, qwery123 said:

I cannot see any Blueshift parts. Can someone describe how to correctly install it?

Unlock the new modes in the techtree first, which BS introduced.

@Angel-125 Bugreport:  between medium and severe, type: calculations.

I guess I could confirm this after serveral fiddling around in the vab:

Look at the max warp speed values in tha VAB:

DAN7bGy.pngMvgkEnv.png

The supercharger makes no difference.

Now in the real world:

3YkBaVq.pngCzSmjtA.png

Without supercharger: No warp at all with full throttle (Max Warp = 0,000)! With supercharger 7x higher warp speed than predicted in the VAB.  I guess there is a bug around ;-)

The in tha VAB shown max warp factor doesn't match neither the speed in planetary SOI nor the interplanetary speed. It can't be the interstellar speed, as it would be even higher. So I guess, the MaxWarp-Calculation in the VAB/SPH has a bug. Atm it has nothing to do with the "reality" in the game.

Maybe you can have a look at it before the next release drops? The needed testrig-ship is as simple as shown:

Commandpod of your choice (This one is from Nerteas NF Spacecraft Mod, but the stock one will do also) and some toys on it, warp core, coil, Deut/Pellet tank, done.

Edited by Rakete