[Min KSP 1.12.2] Blueshift: Kerbal FTL

Angelo Kerman

9 hours ago, modus said:

@Ooglak Kermanwhen the game locks up, do you have errors about 'unable to set target' (or something like that, can't remember exactly)?

I have that -or used to have that, haven't encountered it for a while- sometimes when I went to MPE bodies. 

I had a look at all log entries containing "target" but nothing like that. It <appears> that the issue has to do with a combination of loading/unloading the celestial bodies and writing the autosave.   We'll see what I get when I move the game off the SATA bus and onto NVMe.

1 hour ago, SkyFall2489 said:

@Angel-125,

It looks like the DisplacementImpulse field is missing from all the parts with wbiWarpEngine, or the wiki is outdated. Could you take a look?

The wiki is outdated, and displacementImpulse is no longer used by the warp engine. Instead, the warp coil defines the displacement impulse. Regarding your warp train, Be sure to turn on main power (on the warp engine) and auxiliary power on the generator, and make sure both are stocked with graviolium and fusion pellets.

2 hours ago, Rakete said:

@Angel-125 Bugreport-Update: VAB-Warpspeed Calculations

Please don't be mad on me, 'cause it's me again reporting an issue... :cool::wink::sticktongue:

VAB-Warpspeed-Calculations still do not reflect the to be expected in-flight-warp speeds:

Warpspeed-Calculation in the VAB: 0.643C

In flight: interplanetary Space: 4.547C

Near Kerbin:  0.021C (Speedbrake engaged)

To me it's not clear, to what the warp speed estimation in the VAB refers to, since the value of 0.643C in the VAB does neither match planetary SOI nor interplanetary area as it lies in between both values.

This means, currently it's not possible to estimate the warp power for a vessel correctly, that's not launched yet. This is not so great for players, who have reverting launches disabled and don't cheat their warp ships to orbit to test, what those can do.

Here a PAW-proposal of VAB/SPH-Calculations as improval:

Zephram Kochrane's VAB/SPH-Warpspeed pocket calculator for magic carpet rides:

• Max Warpspeed Interplanetary: xxxxx C
  • Max Warpspeed Interstellar : xxxxx C

(I would leave out the planetary SOI-Warpspeed prediction, as it depends on the gravity well and does not make sense to show in the VAB).

This would help players, who have reverting launches disabled, to know what to expect of the vessel they are currently building. Those values should then meet the in-flight-values of cause :D

Bugreport #2: (Very Minor!) The sliders for thrust and for the supercharger can't be dragged and dropped anymore. They have to be clicked to the desired position in the VAB

Closed Bugreports / Politely asked Requests:

• B9-Partswitch-Bug upon KSP Launch is gone for FFT-Users. Thank you !!!
  • FTL-Tanks and Endcaps now contain Liquid Deuterium for use in MK2-Ships. Thank you very very much! This helps so, so much in designing visualy pleasing vehicles!

For the sliders, that's a necessary consequence of having the warp speed calculations auto-update whenever you mess with their values.

Regarding max warp speed: Are you accounting for engineers in your ship? As of 1.8.1, the VAB/SPH warp calculations are using the same code as is used in flight, with the exception being that the editor doesn't account for crew. I've also verified that when not accounting for crew, the calculations are accurate.

19 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Regarding max warp speed: Are you accounting for engineers in your ship? As of 1.8.1, the VAB/SPH warp calculations are using the same code as is used in flight, with the exception being that the editor doesn't account for crew. I've also verified that when not accounting for crew, the calculations are accurate.

Eewwwwhh... no? Didn't know they make a difference in the reachable max warpspeed of a ship? How does it scale?

Max Warpspeed in flight in interplanetary SOI = VAB-shown value * Engineer-Level * ??

In the shown example there is factor 7,07 between the VAB-value and the real interplanetary warp speed of my 5-star-engineer driven testrig vehicle. Do more engineers result in faster ships? Can I somewhere look it up and do the maths before launch? (Revert flight option is disabled for me in my real longterm playthrough):cool:

Currently some of my engineers are 5-star trained, as I spent much time making them real Montgomery Scotts.

Edited by Rakete

20 minutes ago, Rakete said:

Eewwwwhh... no? Didn't know they make a difference in the reachable max warpspeed of a ship? How does it scale?

Max Warpspeed in flight in interplanetary SOI = VAB-shown value * Engineer-Level * ??

Currently some of my engineers are 5-star trained, as I spent much time making them real Montgomery Scotts.

It should give a 1% speed boost per skill rank, but the math is currently off. That'll get fixed in the next release.

A thought for a purely QOL mod that might not be worth the trouble.

A resource bank.  The idea being that you could bring resources from orbit and put them into the bank and then draw from the bank in the VAB or SPH

Just a thought to toss out there.

Just now, Ooglak Kerman said:

A thought for a purely QOL mod that might not be worth the trouble.

A resource bank.  The idea being that you could bring resources from orbit and put them into the bank and then draw from the bank in the VAB or SPH

Just a thought to toss out there.

USI Modular Kolonaztion system has one planetry warehouse where you can use transport credits to send stuff to a station in orbit to build ships and stuff I am still learning MKS but from what I've seen from it that there is planetary warehouse to store resources

24 minutes ago, Rakete said:

:rep::rep::rep::rep::rep: : Scotty!:  No time for th' bloody blowtorches.  Says things like "aye laddie" and "ye skagger" and "ah dinna kin".   Speak lovingly to the Warp and Gravatic systems which are impressed and work well.  Interplanetary and Interstellar transit times are greatly reduced.

Unfortunate that there is and can only be one "Angelo".

• Lesser level engineers wax his car and take a collection to keep it full of fuel
  • Sci-5s come to ask him for the otherwise impossible answers
  • Pilot-5s ask him for directions
  • He shows the League Of Smart Technologists the way
1 minute ago, obnox twin said:

USI Modular Kolonaztion system has one planetry warehouse where you can use transport credits to send stuff to a station in orbit to build ships and stuff I am still learning MKS but from what I've seen from it that there is planetary warehouse to store resources

Oooohh.. To the google mobile!

2 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

It should give a 1% speed boost per skill rank, but the math is currently off. That'll get fixed in the next release.

Ahhh... okay. 1% per engineer rank. So a 5☆-Engineer gives you at max 5% more speed. Alright, then today the math is way off, as it gives right now 707% for a 5☆ Charles Tucker. 

Another question: the max warp speed in the vab: Where does it refer to - interplanetary or interstellar spacial location?

4 minutes ago, Rakete said:

Ahhh... okay. 1% per engineer rank. So a 5☆-Engineer gives you at max 5% more speed. Alright, then today the math is way off, as it gives right now 707% for a 5☆ Charles Tucker. 

Another question: the max warp speed in the vab: Where does it refer to - interplanetary or interstellar spacial location?

100% interplanetary.

22 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

That'll get fixed in the next release.

Looking forward to it. I think I better wait for the math fix, before constructing my standardized warp fleet and tugs and stuff.

I really was confused by my testrig going so fast while the VAB said, it would be subphotonic. :D:cool:

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

The wiki is outdated, and displacementImpulse is no longer used by the warp engine. Instead, the warp coil defines the displacement impulse. Regarding your warp train, Be sure to turn on main power (on the warp engine) and auxiliary power on the generator, and make sure both are stocked with graviolium and fusion pellets.

For the sliders, that's a necessary consequence of having the warp speed calculations auto-update whenever you mess with their values.

It is. All coils are enabled, main and auxiliary power are on, there is fuel, and there is definitely enough power generation. I've tried adding more warp engines and more coils, and it's not helping. Interestingly, another ship with the exact same warp parts seems to work fine.

Oh, and the glitch goes away with Infinite Fuel.

By the way, maybe make the plasma vents engines that run on ElectroPlasma?

Edited by SkyFall2489

Currently there are no Configs for OPM in the spacedust config. Only GEP is there, but I didn't touch the values since I don't have OPM or GEP atm and didn't want to destroy them. 

To my mind it should be designed by someone, who knows the concerning mods well and knows what to do. The abundances can be copypasted from the stock system and the height values of rings can adjusted according the atmo size values of the planets. But I don't know those mods well. Will reinstall OPM soon, i think.

Edited by Rakete

1 hour ago, SkyFall2489 said:

It seems like changing the ResourceFlowMode of the PROPELLANT of the WBIModuleWarpEngine to ALL_VESSEL seems to make the warp train work.

Yup, I figured out the flow issue yesterday, it will be in the next patch.

Looking forward to said patch with the math overhaul. I think I doesn't make sense to construct warp ships right now, since they will behave completely different speedwise after the change, e.g. 5☆-engineer boost cut down to logical 5% from insane 707% :cool:

Edited by Rakete

16 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Yup, I figured out the flow issue yesterday, it will be in the next patch.

Great! Next stop, the stars!

I currently have an MM patch I made to change the flowmode. here it is:

Spoiler

@PART:HAS[@MODULE[WBIWarpEngine]]
{
    @MODULE[WBIWarpEngine]
    {
        @PROPELLANT
        {
            @resourceFlowMode = ALL_VESSEL
        }
    }
}

@Angel-125 Meanwhile at Rakete's testbench... (Why do I spend more time testing stuff instead of simply playin' the game? :cool:)

• Confirmed: If no crew is aboard a warp vessel the max speed shown in the VAB meets the max speed in interplanetary spacial location in real flight. So it is confirmed, that the Engineer-Boost is the root issue.
  • Personal Stargates: How much is the gravi-toll ? I used the gate in combination with the platform and filled it with gravi. Kerbals passing through seem not to consume any gravi (Between launchpad and runway). Is this intentional? And if not: How much gravi is it supposed to transport a kerbal and how is the platform supposed to be refilled? Is there a already determined max-range of the minigates? Rodney McKerman tested the gate and loved the ride (despite of being hungry and thinking of his even more intelligent sister Jeany)

Sometimes when a Kerbal gets near the gate the earth shakes (KSP camera shakes). Intentional or Bug? This also led to destruction of one of my testgates. This was when the kerbal did not move the ramp upwarts - he just passed through the platform as it would have no colliders. Happened only two times during my ten or more pass throughs for testing

Edited by Rakete

10 minutes ago, Rakete said:

How much is the gravi-toll ?

I believe its 0.1/ton SOI, 1/ton interplanetary, 5/ton interstellar

15 minutes ago, Rakete said:

how is the platform supposed to be refilled?

Klaw!

Blueshift 1.8.2 is now available:

- Rearranged warp engine FTL pre-flight checks to provide more accurate readings.
- Added status texts to the warp speed harvester.
- Fixed issue where warp engines couldn't draw their required Electric Charge "propellant" requirements.
- Fixed issue with deprecated parts causing ship loading errors.
- Fixed issue where engineers were adding way too much of a speed bonus to the warp engines (should be 1% bonus per engineering star).

I have a Mk2 Bussard Collector and a Mk2 Plasma Vent on the books but that'll happen later as I needed to get this patch out.