[Min KSP 1.12.2] Blueshift: Kerbal FTL

Angelo Kerman

@Angel-125 Have you considered perhaps adding another tech tree node after Warp Technologies and put interstellar warp speed there?  I would think a science cost of 100,000 would be in line.
Everything for me is unlocked and science is sort of an after thought right now.  I'd think that unlocking interstellar warp speed would sure be a thing to work for.

2 hours ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

@Angel-125 Have you considered perhaps adding another tech tree node after Warp Technologies and put interstellar warp speed there?  I would think a science cost of 100,000 would be in line.
Everything for me is unlocked and science is sort of an after thought right now.  I'd think that unlocking interstellar warp speed would sure be a thing to work for.

To be honest I haven't made such a consideration. Plus, I have no doubt I'd get complaints about the exceptionally hard to reach tech node just to go interstellar.

Just now, Angel-125 said:

To be honest I haven't made such a consideration. Plus, I have no doubt I'd get complaints about the exceptionally hard to reach tech node just to go interstellar.

Maybe make another Extras patch? Shouldn't be too hard to get done except needing an icon for the node itself.

18 minutes ago, SkyFall2489 said:

Maybe make another Extras patch? Shouldn't be too hard to get done except needing an icon for the node itself.

It would take more than that. The warp engine plugin would need to be modified to only allow interstellar after unlocking the node.

9 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Yeah.  Probably right.  Though with warp tech, the getting of science is pretty easy. 
Just an idle thought.

1 hour ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

Is it expected that the warp engine only draws graviolium from its local tank and not from other tanks aboard the ship?  Or have I missed something - again?

I see the same thing.

12 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

It would take more than that. The warp engine plugin would need to be modified to only allow interstellar after unlocking the node.

Maybe use part upgrades to modify the warp speed curve or something?

2 hours ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

Is it expected that the warp engine only draws graviolium from its local tank and not from other tanks aboard the ship?  Or have I missed something - again?

Graviolium input is set to STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW. You could try ALL_VESSEL and see if that helps.

19 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

or, if the dll must be changed, you could just have a field in the warp core module to allow the interstellar speed boost, an if statement in the DLL before allowing the interstellar speed boost, and a part upgrade to change the field from false to ture?

8 hours ago, SkyFall2489 said:

I see the same thing.

Maybe use part upgrades to modify the warp speed curve or something?

My thought was to unlock interstellar warp speed - rather than to disallow interstellar unless the node was unlocked.  Still... it's a bit of a lift and late in the game.

7 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Graviolium input is set to STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW. You could try ALL_VESSEL and see if that helps.

Interestingly, the gravatic engines appear to draw evenly from across the vessel even though their input is also set to STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW.  Moar testing

This isn't really a problem though.  A thing to keep track of for sure.  Flaming out at a very inopportune time is a bummer.

As @Angel-125 pointed out, the anomalies are single part vessels.  So, to make it so you can switch to them, you need comms and power.  I could conceivably slap a fuel tank, engine, and command chair on this and have a spaceship.

Orrrr..  maybe stick it to other things?  what IS Jeb up to?

Spoiler

RAUrdk4.png

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

15 hours ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

As @Angel-125 pointed out, the anomalies are single part vessels.  So, to make it so you can switch to them, you need comms and power.  I could conceivably slap a fuel tank, engine, and command chair on this and have a spaceship.

Orrrr..  maybe stick it to other things?  what IS Jeb up to?

Hide contents

Looks like a space putting green. :)

What would be the Kerbin equivalent of Americana?  It feels like that's where Jeb is going.

This little thing has been just stupid difficult and tedious - I can tell you.  Without warp drive - not a starter I can say.

Getting out of hand.

Spoiler

A7gvxVp.png

Saucer got dragged from Plock to Dres for a bit.  Tetrahedrons came from Sarnus and Urlum systems.

What to call this?  Still a couple more additions.  It's been a labor for sure.  Quite the learning experience.

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

32 minutes ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

I want to stick cupolas onto the Triangle Garden Hotel, but they need a node.  Ground anchors are a maybe for that.  Any ideas from anyone?

BZ-52 radial attachment node, in the structural category. literally made for that. Ground anchors only stick to ground, not other parts.

5 minutes ago, SkyFall2489 said:

BZ-52 radial attachment node, in the structural category. literally made for that. Ground anchors only stick to ground, not other parts.

@SkyFall2489 Thanks so much!  Exactly what I was looking for.  You get a cupola named after you.  The Falling Sky viewing port.  When I stick it on.  BTW..  I'm in Eugene, OR and we have a brewery - Falling Sky.
Good thing for those crazy lucrative tourist contracts, cause I'm flat burning through funds on all these lifts out to orbit.  I AM sitting at 823M funds though.
The combination of warp and gravatic is such a game changer though.  I estimate the total construction time of the Hotel to be over 1000 game years so far without warp.

@SkyFall2489 You have your cupola.  I'm sorry for the shoddy flag placement and will fix that.  I had forgotten that if <anything> is attached to the part that it cannot be manipulated by an engineer.

Jeb has graciously agreed to a voucher for a free stay at the Triangle Garden Hotel for you and a guest.

I think this thing needs to be gaudy on a level with Pedros South of the Border on I-95 between North Carolina and South Carolina in the U.S.  For those who are unfamiliar, the signs advertising it started over 100 miles away.  It was very cheezy.
Anyway.  I'd welcome suggestions.  Rotating signs on the cupolas are being considered.  It would be a hoot to have a sign in orbit that could dynamically tell you how far you are from the Triangle Garden Hotel.

Further testing with warp ships in combat:

With Impulse Party, large ships are finally no longer sitting ducks. It looks like the way to go is large salvos of fireworks, this has the best chance of hitting an enemy. Warp chases might be a thing, but if you are trying to control a certain area, that does not work. To let anything through the shield while keeping it intact and its direction unchanged, the shield must be temporarily turned off. (fireworks passing through shields usually either bounce or their path is altered sligthly, so the shields do not offer complete protection but still plenty) This means that to fire, a ship must make itself vulnerable first, and during this time an enemy can strike. Oh, and I tried ramming, it doesn't work. the ramming ship was heavily damaged while the rammed ship was just fine. When a ship gets dealt a crippling blow, it flies apart in chunks, which are kept trapped inside the shield. Fortunately, shields can be turned off by kerbals on EVA, allowing trapped kerbals to free themselves from a wreckage, but if there are no live kerbals in the shield then there is no way to turn it off.

4 hours ago, SkyFall2489 said:

Further testing with warp ships in combat:

With Impulse Party, large ships are finally no longer sitting ducks. It looks like the way to go is large salvos of fireworks, this has the best chance of hitting an enemy. Warp chases might be a thing, but if you are trying to control a certain area, that does not work. To let anything through the shield while keeping it intact and its direction unchanged, the shield must be temporarily turned off. (fireworks passing through shields usually either bounce or their path is altered sligthly, so the shields do not offer complete protection but still plenty) This means that to fire, a ship must make itself vulnerable first, and during this time an enemy can strike. Oh, and I tried ramming, it doesn't work. the ramming ship was heavily damaged while the rammed ship was just fine. When a ship gets dealt a crippling blow, it flies apart in chunks, which are kept trapped inside the shield. Fortunately, shields can be turned off by kerbals on EVA, allowing trapped kerbals to free themselves from a wreckage, but if there are no live kerbals in the shield then there is no way to turn it off.

This line of discussion has me wondering about the possibility of converting a tetrahedron into a warp ship.  I've tested my patches to enable EVA construction mode on the warp drive parts.  Now it's just the tedious grind of sticking the requisite parts onto a tetrahedron.  I expect this thing will be maneuverable in the same way of an iceberg but.. what the heck.

Orbital construction - particularly making a new ship out of another one - is just butchery.  Hack it apart. Save the bits you want and stick them somewhere till you can get to it.

Spoiler

KMY9rym.png

The KAS JS-1 Joint Sockets are your friend.  They provide a node to which you can stick a thing just about anywhere.

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

57 minutes ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

Orbital construction - particularly making a new ship out of another one - is just butchery.  Hack it apart. Save the bits you want and stick them somewhere till you can get to it.

Hide contents

KMY9rym.png

The KAS JS-1 Joint Sockets are your friend.  They provide a node to which you can stick a thing just about anywhere.

Try Extraplanetary Launchpads or SimpleConstruction.

Just now, SkyFall2489 said:

Try Extraplanetary Launchpads or SimpleConstruction.

I have SimpleConstruction and have used it in the past.  It is bloody awesome for those things you went and forgot to pack.  For something this big, it would have been pretty difficult.  Just the resources to make the stuff would have been right problematic.   Anyway.  Here it is. 

I lifted the constructed parts from the KSC and then tore it apart in orbit.  Once I figured out using 2 engineers to play catch, it got a lot easier.  EasyVesselSwitch is your friend.
I've not fired it up yet for warp.  It's quite maneuverable though with the 2 large wheels and the large remote guidance unit.  Getting the warp ring in place was painful.  Took more time than everything else combined.  Front lander can still gotta be adjusted.  I'll probably clip it into the tet and poke its nose out the front and centered.  We'll see.

Spoiler

yYntMZu.png