[Min KSP 1.12.2] Blueshift: Kerbal FTL

Angelo Kerman

1 hour ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

FFT is a compelling mod, but there are really only a very few things that I would want from it in this game I'm running so for me it does not make sense.  Spacedust is what I really need for the graviolium detection capability, but perhaps you could give me clarification on what I see here in SpacedustForBlueshift.cfg

// Space Dust bands
SPACEDUST_RESOURCE:NEEDS[!WildBlueIndustries/FlyingSaucers,SpaceDust]

Does this mean I don't get this with KFS installed?

That only means if KFS isn't installed then use the Blueshift's configs for SpaceDust. Otherwise, with KFS installed you'll use the SpaceDust configs from KFS (which are virtually identical).

17 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

It's also possible to remove the Blueshift patch for FFT. That would restore the parts. That might remove some functionality, so perhaps you could just remove the sections that remove the parts when FFT is installed.

Maybe for your next playthrough. FFT build upon the other nertea-mods and is great for the pre-warp-era of a playthrough. It makes the switch from chemical rockets to space curving propulsion system much more seamless and plausible. Without it, for me the step from terrier to star frontier is to huge. It fills nicely in. Also it revamps the whole thermomanagement, as it uses SystemHeat as dependecy. Give it a try in your next playthrough. It is great.

@Angel-125 just some clarification please.
Re: the Stardust Graviolium Collector:  in-game, it lists the EC usage as 12.00/sec but the config lists EC input as

{
	ResourceName = ElectricCharge
	Ratio = 60
}

Heh.. the disparity there came as a touch of a shock.  Which is intended to be correct?

6 hours ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

@Angel-125 just some clarification please.
Re: the Stardust Graviolium Collector:  in-game, it lists the EC usage as 12.00/sec but the config lists EC input as

{
	ResourceName = ElectricCharge
	Ratio = 60
}

Heh.. the disparity there came as a touch of a shock.  Which is intended to be correct?

Both are correct. The efficiency is 0.2, which, if you multiply 60 by 0.2, you get 12.

2 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Both are correct. The efficiency is 0.2, which, if you multiply 60 by 0.2, you get 12.

Huh.  The graviolium harvesters are definitively slurping down 60 EC/sec.  That came as a shock.  The same scientists who miscalculated graviolium usage did the EC usage charts for the harvesters.  Fortunately, that was caught before sending the station out.  We'll have to see what other practical problems they receive as their "education" continues.

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

@Angel-125 I was looking through the configs for the jumpgates and hope for some clarification.
Regarding the resource_toll - if paidByTraveler = false - then who pays?

The gate will pay for the resource toll. As an example, the mini jumpgate pays the jump toll. This was done so that kerbals could traverse the gate (ideally ground-to-ground, because if they appear in space they'll keep walking).

4 hours ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

Does anyone have strategies for deploying the minigate on other than on Minmus or Gilly?  Right now, all I can come up with is a mob of Kerbals to assist in the hefting of the thing.

Easy.... Did that very very smooth with a sky crane. 

I attached the gate fundament on the bottom of the gate. On the top I attached a decoupler. From there I built a simple drone controlled skycrane, that brings it smooth to the surface. The whole package then was packaged on top of a Minmus capable rocket. Same construction for Gilly but you need a bigger rocket, cause... you know... it's far away :D

I also built a crane on wheels to put the kerbin gate somewhere else and not on runways or launchpads. The thing has to be near the coffeebar, cause gate travelling makes thirsty. And Jeb is never in a good mood, when he hadn't have his 8 cups of morning coffee. 

I could give you my vehicle file, but I am not sure, if it doesn't use parts from mods you do not use, or if the rest is stock. Unfortunately I am about to leave for a funeral of a friend of mine right now. Maybe I will give you my craft file, when I am back on my pc (just writing on my cell phone, waitin for my wife to get ready... things take time, you know...)

Edited by Rakete

30 minutes ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

Well heck.  Based on experience thus far, I'm gonna say that proper orientation of the minigate ring onto the base is pretty much important.  Apparently the difference between arriving on the ground and on top of the structure.

so what am i doing wrong to cause my stuff to always be on top?

Just now, TOMMY (JEB 2.0) said:

so what am i doing wrong to cause my stuff to always be on top?

I'm testing it now, but it appears that you have to have the minigate properly oriented to the base.  I <think> that the alien writing must be toward the top - i.e. away from the base.

On 9/1/2022 at 10:57 PM, Angel-125 said:

The Whipcrack was actually inspired by watching YouTube videos on whip cracking, and realizing that the whip could be an analogy to a wormhole with one fixed end and one flailing end. As I started thinking about it, having some kind of sinewave graph that is displayed on screen, whose goal is to be at zero in order to get an accurate jump, was the perfect way to involve the player with making the jump. @JadeOfMaar is right, the Space Battleship Yamato 2199's warp jump would be the closest example, though nowhere near as dramatic. It's more like you'd see something like this in a window on screen:

GT's Blog: Java Sound : generate play sine wave - source code

with a dot traveling along the wave, and you, the player, must hit the jump button as close to 0 as possible in order to leap as close to forward as possible. If you don't your ship will leap in some other direction. From a special effects perspective, think like this:

A slider control lets the player control the jump distance- up to the Whipcrack’s maximum jump distance- and thus, the sine wave’s frequency. The amplitude of the wave is affected by how close the ship is to the solar system’s star as well as the distance to the nearest celestial body- if any- that the vessel orbits. The angular frequency is affected by the star’s mass and the mass of a celestial body- if any- that the ship currently orbits.

Pilots, engineers, and scientists can all affect the sinewave, but not by a lot. To really improve it, you need a whipping post. Think of the whipping post as a jump beacon or an anchor point for a wormhole; it isn't as good as having a jumpgate at the other end, but it does make it easier to jump towards a target star.

8QgzTzr.png

Hopefully the above makes sense.

If players think the Whipcrack is too cumbersome to use then it won't be worth my time to make it. When I built Blueshift's Space Anomalies, I did so with the intention that players can discover the pre-populated mass relays alien jumpgates already circling distant stars. Players could then build warpships, fly through interstellar space once, discover the jumpgate and add it to the network. Then it's just a matter of warping around the star system, head to the gate, and jump to another distant star's jumpgate. Traveling interstellar with warp tech can be a bit tedius but you'd only have to do it once if you have Space Anomalies turned on, or you research the current version of Blueshift's jump tech and build your own gates.

THat whipping post idea is amazing!

1 hour ago, Rutabaga22 said:

THat whipping post idea is amazing!

I hope it comes to fruition.  It would be a great adjunct to Blueshift.
But... lets be grateful for these mods that have been provided.  Even as I am cursing my inattention to important small details (failing to turn on the darned fuel cell and running out of power) -  figured that one out 2 launches later
Well... what's that saying?  Busy, Off the streets, Out of the bars.

:Edit: 5 launches later now.  Important to angle the engines so they don't hit the base and to add a probe core - though the ring has one.

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

16 hours ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

I'm testing it now, but it appears that you have to have the minigate properly oriented to the base.  I <think> that the alien writing must be toward the top - i.e. away from the base.

I had left my skycrane attached to the minigate and things coming through the gate wound up landing on top.  Once I flew the skycrane off and away, things were coming through the gate properly.  The physics bump is a bit of a bummer and it will be interesting to see how a vehicle will come through.

On 9/29/2022 at 12:12 PM, kerbalcommander563 said:

will whipcrack engines ever be added?

Given that I fixed the warp engines to function through timewarp, I've pretty much made the Whipcrack redundant. With that fix, the Whipcrack would invalidate all the previous work I did for warp tech.

If the cost of operating the engine during timewarp is too high, then you can adjust the interstellarWarpSpeedMultiplier in settings.cfg to give you a speed boost during timewarp. That will result in your ship going faster per time-tick and thus consume less graviolium. Between that and either enabling jumpgate anomalies (they automatically-populate around stars) or building your own, Blueshift has plenty of FTL options to choose from. If you still want super-easy FTL then you'd probably want to look elsewhere. ELSD Jump Beacons is pretty much point and jump- and has its own set of limitations.

18 hours ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

The hieroglyphs indeed go on top:

ieoXfJ9.png

To deploy the gates, you might notice that the top of the gate has an attachment node in addition to the base attachment node- and even forward and back nodes. In my tests, I created a warp-powered gateship with KFS gravity engines for local maneuvers, and dropped the assembly out of the bay:

C6HZWVc.png

The gate can fall over and still deploy successfully:

X6aRkek.png

jV3f7o1.png

RscOVSt.png

I made a skycrane sort of lander using the Thud engines.  It works nice.  That said, the minigate has some odd behavior.  The gate is oriented properly on the base.  Here is the emergence from Kerbin to Minmus

Spoiler

SO0xU9u.png

And here is the emergence going from Minmus to Kerbin.  Reliably up in the air and turned 90 degrees.

Spoiler

sw4W1Sv.png

Any thoughts on this  @Angel-125 ?

10 minutes ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

I made a skycrane sort of lander using the Thud engines.  It works nice.  That said, the minigate has some odd behavior.  The gate is oriented properly on the base.  Here is the emergence from Kerbin to Minmus

Hide contents

SO0xU9u.png

And here is the emergence going from Minmus to Kerbin.  Reliably up in the air and turned 90 degrees.

Hide contents

sw4W1Sv.png

Any thoughts on this  @Angel-125 ?

That's normal behavior. Gating to the ground makes use of KSP's vessel lander. It's no different than using the cheat menu-with the exception of the resource requirements. As long as you land on your feet, you're good. :)

Ok.  Good to know.  Thanks!
I've been playing with gating between Kerbin and Minmus with different things.  As long as the vessel meets the mass requirement, the dimensions don't matter as long as you can get some part of the vessel into the gate.  Of course, this means that I'll have to figure how long a train I can get the gate to pass.

2 hours ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

Ok.  Good to know.  Thanks!
I've been playing with gating between Kerbin and Minmus with different things.  As long as the vessel meets the mass requirement, the dimensions don't matter as long as you can get some part of the vessel into the gate.  Of course, this means that I'll have to figure how long a train I can get the gate to pass.

The original plan was to limit the vessel by dimension, but the game proved that calculating vessel dimensions on the fly resulted in numbers that were very off. So I went with the mass limitation instead.

On 10/1/2022 at 5:11 PM, Ooglak Kerman said:

@Rakete can you show a pic or two?  I would appreciate.
I'm sorry about your friend.

Thanks... He died way to early only 52, suffering a heart attack or something while taking a bath in the baltic sea and drowned. :-( Sorry, that I write just today and left you waiting for the pic, but i wasn't in the mood to play games on the computer or read the forums.

Here is what I came up with to place the thing on minmus:

IOJeaQp.png

The thing on top of the gate is a small skycrane.

Here is the craft-File: https://www.filemail.com/d/zebdgmnxqypxlrr

It uses some of the Near Future Solar panels, but it should also work without them. Just place some stock panels or RTGs of your choice. I think, you can Ignore the missing-parts warning upon loading. Just to get the idea, it should be sufficient. And yes, i did it un-kerballed. For the picture i removed the fairing shrouds. There is a decoupler between drone core and gate. So just land the gate and drop it, and then do what you want with the expendable skycrane, that his done his job. You can use it to trigger the seismometer impact experiment of Breaking Ground Stock KSP :D The upper stages are drone core equipped for deorbiting abilities and avoiding space trash. This vessel is only for kerbins SOI. For places further away, you need a bigger boat... rocket.

Should you use it: Before launch, select the Hecs-Dronecore as controll point while still sitting on the launchpad. It's also written in the vehicle description, but I assume german is not your most loved language ;-)

And this is how I placed a gate near the KSC but not on a runway or launchpad: May i introduce, the gate-deployer Mark I:  :-D Cute, isn't it?

lpKCVJD.png

Edited by Rakete

But somehow I still fail to combine the needs of a SSTO with the needs of a nice warp-vessel. Any suggestions for a warp-capable spaceplane-SSTO?

Mhhh... Somehow I build too weak SSTOs  that can carry a big warp core an enough coils to combine SSTOing and warping in one nice streamlined spaceplane warp-ship. (don't have Flying Saucers, so no gravi-engines)

Any nice pictures to learn from ?!

Edited by Rakete