[Min KSP 1.12.2] Blueshift: Kerbal FTL

Angelo Kerman

45 minutes ago, panarchist said:

Get a bunch of screenshots of THAT - sounds like part of the plot of a dozen SF movies, and that's ripe for inclusion into one of your mission log series. ;-)

Sounds like fun! But what I should do is figure out a way to assemble the ring without the need for docking ports- that, and figure out why the stock docking ports are turning the ring into a pretzel. For assembly, one option is to use a very heavy jumpgate segment "kit" that you place in an inventory on the command segment, but that doesn't account for the segment's volume. Another possibility is some kind of part module that will destroy the part that was shipped up to the gate and then "add" it to the gate under construction. Just brainstorming some ideas here, just in case I can't figure out what's wrong with the docking port method...

4 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Sounds like fun! But what I should do is figure out a way to assemble the ring without the need for docking ports- that, and figure out why the stock docking ports are turning the ring into a pretzel. For assembly, one option is to use a very heavy jumpgate segment "kit" that you place in an inventory on the command segment, but that doesn't account for the segment's volume. Another possibility is some kind of part module that will destroy the part that was shipped up to the gate and then "add" it to the gate under construction. Just brainstorming some ideas here, just in case I can't figure out what's wrong with the docking port method...

How long between assembly and the time you took the screenshot? Docking port drift could cause that over time if they're not locked. (assuming 1.12.x)

18 hours ago, panarchist said:

How long between assembly and the time you took the screenshot? Docking port drift could cause that over time if they're not locked. (assuming 1.12.x)

The same thing happened to me but it was as soon as I switched to the jumpgate after viewing the tracking station. I don't think docking port drift would cause that Krakening that quickly, would it?

19 hours ago, panarchist said:

46 minutes ago, namreK haidebeJ said:

The same thing happened to me but it was as soon as I switched to the jumpgate after viewing the tracking station. I don't think docking port drift would cause that Krakening that quickly, would it?

That happened to me when I jumped back from Joolgate to Kerbingate.

Is there any documentation or such out there about how to go about manually circularizing an orbit with the warp drive?  Specifically, I would like to be able to circularize in a given orbit of Kerbol - useful for setting up a deep space relay network if using OPM.

Thanks.

On 1/16/2022 at 2:47 PM, Jhorriga said:

Doesn't seem like the wormhole does anything for me, I just approach it and nothing happens, instead bumping into the solid cube inside. I'm running galaxies unbound if that helps.

I've experienced this same thing with wormholes (in sandbox mode).  WBT, KFS, Blueshift, OPM.  I approach - with a lot of graviolium - but nada.  Fly through.  Fly back.  Bump it.  Shake fist.  It's unimpressed.

Woof.  That jumpgate seems sub-optimal.  Them is costy in career mode.

Edited by Ooglak Kerman
bit more stuff

17 hours ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

Is there any documentation or such out there about how to go about manually circularizing an orbit with the warp drive?  Specifically, I would like to be able to circularize in a given orbit of Kerbol - useful for setting up a deep space relay network if using OPM.

Thanks.

From the OP under the section Tips & Tricks:

Zk6lTrp.png

GJ7zrSo.png

15 hours ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

I've experienced this same thing with wormholes (in sandbox mode).  WBT, KFS, Blueshift, OPM.  I approach - with a lot of graviolium - but nada.  Fly through.  Fly back.  Bump it.  Shake fist.  It's unimpressed.

Woof.  That jumpgate seems sub-optimal.  Them is costy in career mode.

Wormholes only work when you have at least two in game. If you have more than two, then you'll need to select the destination. From the OP:

6FWzs5C.png

I've tested the wormhole functionality in 12.2.x and it's working as expected- except for the stock docking port issue that I'm investigating. I'm looking into a way to build the ring as opposed to docking sections to it but I don't have an intuitive way to do that just yet.

5 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

I've tested the wormhole functionality in 12.2.x and it's working as expected- except for the stock docking port issue that I'm investigating. I'm looking into a way to build the ring as opposed to docking sections to it but I don't have an intuitive way to do that just yet.

The Konstruction mod has special docking ports that allow you to remove the ports and fuse their parent parts together as if they were assembled at the KSC. Maybe something similar to that could work. 

8 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

From the OP under the section Tips & Tricks:

Wormholes only work when you have at least two in game. If you have more than two, then you'll need to select the destination. From the OP:

I've tested the wormhole functionality in 12.2.x and it's working as expected- except for he stock docking port issue that I'm investigating. I'm looking into a way to build the ring as opposed to docking sections to it but I don't have an intuitive way to do that just yet.

@Angel-125 Ok then.  The lack of more than one wormhole  is the issue I'm having.  Thanks.  Right now, the game (sandbox) only knows about one.

Yeah, I've seen those tips and tricks about warp circularizing and that's pretty much the same as with the stand-alone Alcubierre drive - except with Alcubierre, you generally want to fly close to Kerbol and adjust vector and velocity components (so hard!).  What I'm talking about is to to circularize in a random distance from Kerbol (sun).  What I'm looking to accomplish is to place a constellation of insanely overbuilt relay satellites out between the orbit of Jool and Sarnus and to use my warp tow truck KWS-1 "Oh Please Don't Explode" to accomplish this.

It would be cool and darn useful to have the auto-circularize just do so around whatever SOI in which you are currently driving about and not just a planetary SOI.  I would also suggest that the graviolium penalty for such a circularization around Kerbol should be high - commensurate with the necessary dV requirement.

I've spent hours trying different strategies, but my skills of an orbital science type are weak and puny.  But this does give an appreciation of the crazy distances involved.  At 1.33C it's taking me considerable real time to get to Sarnus.

1 hour ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

@Angel-125 Ok then.  The lack of more than one wormhole  is the issue I'm having.  Thanks.  Right now, the game (sandbox) only knows about one.

Yeah, I've seen those tips and tricks about warp circularizing and that's pretty much the same as with the stand-alone Alcubierre drive - except with Alcubierre, you generally want to fly close to Kerbol and adjust vector and velocity components (so hard!).  What I'm talking about is to to circularize in a random distance from Kerbol (sun).  What I'm looking to accomplish is to place a constellation of insanely overbuilt relay satellites out between the orbit of Jool and Sarnus and to use my warp tow truck KWS-1 "Oh Please Don't Explode" to accomplish this.

It would be cool and darn useful to have the auto-circularize just do so around whatever SOI in which you are currently driving about and not just a planetary SOI.  I would also suggest that the graviolium penalty for such a circularization around Kerbol should be high - commensurate with the necessary dV requirement.

I've spent hours trying different strategies, but my skills of an orbital science type are weak and puny.  But this does give an appreciation of the crazy distances involved.  At 1.33C it's taking me considerable real time to get to Sarnus.

Circularizing around a star? Hm, I'll look into that. I also want to add a jump engine at some point, but that may wait until after I finish Buffalo 2. That should help cut travel times down.

13 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Circularizing around a star? Hm, I'll look into that. I also want to add a jump engine at some point, but that may wait until after I finish Buffalo 2. That should help cut travel times down.

Well...  perhaps I need to look through your code more.  So many interesting tidbits.

// How close do you have to be to a targeted vessel before you can rendezvous with it during auto-circularization.
        float kMinRendezvousDistance = 100000;
        // How close to the targed vessel should you end up at when you rendezvous with it during auto-circularization.
        float kRendezvousDistance = 100;

So, if I read this right, if you target a vessel and get to within 100,000m and autocircularize, you will wind up around 100m from it?  Must test.

Also, am I correct that only level 5 Engineers will give a warp boost?

5 hours ago, Admiral Fluffy said:

No, I think it means kilometers, not meters.

Well @Admiral Fluffy.  I was thinking "surely not 100,000 KM", but you are correct, sir.  I set an orbital depot around Jool and made it the target and at 49,000 KM from the target did the auto-circularize and popped in 91m away.  That there is right handy!

Adding a couple level 5 engineers made the thing right bloody fast also!

This is exciting.  I'm now ready to commission KWS-1 "Oh Please Don't Explode" into my career save.

@Ooglak Kerman There is a field in WBIWarpEngine called warpSpeedBoostRank, which is the rank needed to increase warp speed. The default is 5, but you can change it in the config file. You can also change the default skill, which is defined by warpEngineerSkill. The default is ConverterSkill, which Engineers have. In short, you need a highly skilled Engineer to coax more out of the engines-preferably one with a Scottish accent...

Finally, there is warpSpeedSkillMultiplier, which is the multiplier to apply per skill rank. The default is 0.01, which translates to a 1% speed boost per engineering rank.

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

@Ooglak Kerman There is a field in WBIWarpEngine called warpSpeedBoostRank, which is the rank needed to increase warp speed. The default is 5, but you can change it in the config file. You can also change the default skill, which is defined by warpEngineerSkill. The default is ConverterSkill, which Engineers have. In short, you need a highly skilled Engineer to coax more out of the engines-preferably one with a Scottish accent...

Finally, there is warpSpeedSkillMultiplier, which is the multiplier to apply per skill rank. The default is 0.01, which translates to a 1% speed boost per engineering rank.

@Angel-125 personally, I think that any level engineer should be able to get a performance increase, but a level 1 or 2 should get very very little since about all they can probably do is hit it with a hammer.  Whereas a 5 should be able to speak to it in said Scottish accent.  I'll be leaving that where it is.  If you want the lollypop, ya gotta work for it.

Out of curiosity, would the place to add that setting be in the Blueshift global settings.cfg or to the .cfg for each engine?  I would think either would work but... inquiring minds..

I seem to remember reading that time warp is a bit dicey with the Blueshift drives.  Does BetterTimeWarp address this?  Long term plan is to slap Galaxies Unbound on and head for the stars.

21 hours ago, obnox twin said:

Sounds like it will explode aka becoming a kraken snack.

The kraken wants its snack

Haha!  So true.  Ergo the "Please".  Though I doubt the Kraken will honor the entreaty.

I've named the next - yet to be designed or built - warp ship in the fleet.  KWS-200 "Are We There Yet".  My wife says "You t'ain't raht"

3 hours ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

Haha!  So true.  Ergo the "Please".  Though I doubt the Kraken will honor the entreaty.

I've named the next - yet to be designed or built - warp ship in the fleet.  KWS-200 "Are We There Yet".  My wife says "You t'ain't raht"

Your naming scheme is making my day that is funny

42 minutes ago, obnox twin said:

Your naming scheme is making my day that is funny

I hope to put together images from the commissioning and commissioning cruise to Minmus for topping the tanks.  I'll be right put out if it does explode.  That will take out a lot of hard won graviolium and fusion pellets.

Lessee.  Launch.  Commissioning in LKO with Valentina as captain.  Simple ceremony.  "Your ship.  Don't explode it".  Minmus for tank toppage.  Back to LKO to pick up a graviolium scoopship and some crew to drag off to Jool.

19 minutes ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

I hope to put together images from the commissioning and commissioning cruise to Minmus for topping the tanks.  I'll be right put out if it does explode.  That will take out a lot of hard won graviolium and fusion pellets.

Lessee.  Launch.  Commissioning in LKO with Valentina as captain.  Simple ceremony.  "Your ship.  Don't explode it".  Minmus for tank toppage.  Back to LKO to pick up a graviolium scoopship and some crew to drag off to Jool.

I need to sort out some stuff but I am in sandbox

27 minutes ago, obnox twin said:

I need to sort out some stuff but I am in sandbox

I've got a career mode game going, but sandbox is my "simulation test" area.  Tip of the hat if you are doing RSS.  That seems a bit heavy for my poor tired ol' brain.

I'm having to get my Kerbin and Minmus orbital depot ships all supplied up before commissioning KWS-1.  Initial Graviolium fueling at Kerbin from KRS-1 "GravyTrain" (KRS = Kerbin Robot Ship) and liquid fuel/oxy and fusion pellets from KRS-42 "The Answer" stationed at Minmus.  Once I have a couple of Graviolium scoopships at Jool, that part of it is solved.

Your question has me wondering though about resource definitions for GU worlds.  @Angel-125 what is the status on resource definitions for Graviolium in GU worlds?  I'm just not finding it.  And I'm also wondering about xenon.  When I finally make the move to intrastellar with GU, will I just need to take along a <BUNCH> of graviolium and xenon?

24 minutes ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

I've got a career mode game going, but sandbox is my "simulation test" area.  Tip of the hat if you are doing RSS.  That seems a bit heavy for my poor tired ol' brain.

I'm having to get my Kerbin and Minmus orbital depot ships all supplied up before commissioning KWS-1.  Initial Graviolium fueling at Kerbin from KRS-1 "GravyTrain" (KRS = Kerbin Robot Ship) and liquid fuel/oxy and fusion pellets from KRS-42 "The Answer" stationed at Minmus.  Once I have a couple of Graviolium scoopships at Jool, that part of it is solved.

Your question has me wondering though about resource definitions for GU worlds.  @Angel-125 what is the status on resource definitions for Graviolium in GU worlds?  I'm just not finding it.  And I'm also wondering about xenon.  When I finally make the move to intrastellar with GU, will I just need to take along a <BUNCH> of graviolium and xenon?

So minmus have Graviloum?

12 hours ago, obnox twin said:

So minmus have Graviloum?

There is no Graviolium at Minmus.   It is in small concentrations in the magnetosphere of Kerbin where  I've got a fleet of orbital stardust collector gathering it (s-l-o-w-l-y).  I'm making the fusion pellets on Minmus and shipping them up to orbit along with various other fuels to this or that orbital depot for staging.

My main effort for graviolium will be at Jool where the orbital concentration is considerably better.  Graviolium can be mined at only a couple of planets and collected from orbit of a few more.   Once I'm awash in graviolium and fusion pellets, the next big issue with the Blueshift mod becomes Xenon.

My commissioning sequence for new warp ships is to launch basically empty except for chemical rockets and a bare necessity of fusion pellets.  Up to LKO to get a ration of graviolium sufficient for a round trip to Jool.  Then off to Minmus to fill up with fusion pellets, RCS fuel, and chemical fuel.  Then out to Jool to fill up with graviolium.  Then.... <points in a direction> ... that way!..

I really need a project manager for this effort.   I just don't know how folks do it with KSPIE.

Regarding engineering skill, FTL tech, be it warp drives, jump gates, or jump tech, are implied to be reverse-engineered from crashed flying saucers and little understood. Hence, while any engineer can operate them, it takes someone really skilled to improve their performance without messing everything up.

Currently, Graviolium is only found in the Kerbin system as well as any system that has asteroids and/or comets. I don't currently have definitions for any of the planets in Galaxies Unbound, largely because there are so many planets.

What you could do is add a Module Manager patch to globally define Graviolium, but keep in mind that Graviolium is supposed to b exceptionally rare. By design, you're best bet in finding the stuff should be asteroids and comets. But, you could use a patch like:

GLOBAL_RESOURCE:NEEDS[GU]
{
	ResourceName = Graviolium
	ResourceType = 0

Distribution
	{
		PresenceChance = 20
		MinAbundance = 1
		MaxAbundance = 15
		Variance = 50
		Dispersal = 3
	}
}

On 1/27/2022 at 11:13 AM, Angel-125 said:

They are created as a Space Object.

I recently tested the jumpgates and was able to port around the system. I did notice that the "puddle" effect isn't showing up but I believe that's because I don't have Waterfall installed.

I have noticed that the buildable jumpgate turns into a pretzel and I'm investigating:

ZwkcVCR.png

I'm getting errors in the stock docking port module, and I don't know why.

I'm running into the same pretzel sort of problem with jumpgates.  I have 1 at kerbin and 1 at duna.  I jump to duna and it's fine.  Jump back to kerbin and the jumpgate folds itself into a neat donut.

Also, I'm experiencing that if there are more than 2 jumpgates - then none work.

What kind of information do you need for this?

Edited by Ooglak Kerman