Jump to content

[Min KSP 1.12.2] Blueshift: Kerbal FTL


Angel-125
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

Blueshift 1.8.2 is now available:

- Rearranged warp engine FTL pre-flight checks to provide more accurate readings.
- Added status texts to the warp speed harvester.
- Fixed issue where warp engines couldn't draw their required Electric Charge "propellant" requirements.
- Fixed issue with deprecated parts causing ship loading errors.
- Fixed issue where engineers were adding way too much of a speed bonus to the warp engines (should be 1% bonus per engineering star).

I have a Mk2 Bussard Collector and a Mk2 Plasma Vent on the books but that'll happen later as I needed to get this patch out.

Will probably have a look at it tomorrow, the day after or at the weekend. Really impressed by the speed of your releases and the quality of the visuals !!!

 

A little low priority immersion proposal: I you only have two gates (big or small) they are always connected. Especially when you send out the second little gate, they are active at launch. For immersion it would be nice to (even if you have just two gates) to start off with a shut down portal. And to be able to shutdown the portal after usage even if you just have two... just for immersion.... cause you never know who on duna might make his way to your homestead kerbin if you leave an open gate unsupervised after getting the whole team home. :D General George Kammond always prefers shut down gates if not currently in use (so that you get so see the nice kawoooosh upon startup). Same goes for the big gates. You never know if the evil laythians may come to your home if you leave the door open. :cool::D:P

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Blueshift 1.8.2 is now available:

- Rearranged warp engine FTL pre-flight checks to provide more accurate readings.
- Added status texts to the warp speed harvester.
- Fixed issue where warp engines couldn't draw their required Electric Charge "propellant" requirements.
- Fixed issue with deprecated parts causing ship loading errors.
- Fixed issue where engineers were adding way too much of a speed bonus to the warp engines (should be 1% bonus per engineering star).

@Angel-125  Oh gobs.  All my warp ships are so much slower now.

As I see it, this line defines that only a Eng-5 will get the warp boost

public int warpSpeedBoostRank = 5;

So... the boost for an Eng-5 previously was 5.05 - as I read it

if (highestRank >= warpSpeedBoostRank)
  {
     maxWarpSpeed *= (1.0f + warpSpeedSkillMultiplier) * highestRank;
  }

and has now been dropped to 1.05

if (highestRank >= warpSpeedBoostRank)
{
   skillMultiplier = 1.0f + (warpSpeedSkillMultiplier * highestRank);
   maxWarpSpeed *= skillMultiplier;
}

That's a VERY significant performance reduction for a Scotty Eng-5 and and makes their contribution nearly insignificant.  I know you've released this, but I would argue that perhaps 2.5 - 3.0 would be more appropriate for an Eng-5 and that only Eng-5 should continue to get the boost.  Also, since timewarping is contra-indicated for warp operations, this change makes interstellar operations a tad more problematic given that you have to sit and babysit the mission.

Perhaps skillMultiplier could be put into settings.cfg?  Then a person could accept this default or set a different value.  I've tested some times (and had to extrapolate a bit) but the big S3 warp ship will take 25 minutes to exit Kerbol SOI (1.25C).  It looks like I would be sitting and waiting on Vals Warp Tanker to just exit the Kerbol SOI for about 1hr 10min.  Then the rest of the trip.  Huhhhhhhh

Edited by Ooglak Kerman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

@Angel-125  Oh gobs.  All my warp ships are so much slower now.

As I see it, this line defines that only a Eng-5 will get the warp boost

public int warpSpeedBoostRank = 5;

So... the boost for an Eng-5 previously was 5.05 - as I read it

if (highestRank >= warpSpeedBoostRank)
  {
     maxWarpSpeed *= (1.0f + warpSpeedSkillMultiplier) * highestRank;
  }

and has now been dropped to 1.05

if (highestRank >= warpSpeedBoostRank)
{
   skillMultiplier = 1.0f + (warpSpeedSkillMultiplier * highestRank);
   maxWarpSpeed *= skillMultiplier;
}

That's a VERY significant performance reduction for a Scotty Eng-5 and and makes their contribution nearly insignificant.  I know you've released this, but I would argue that perhaps 2.5 - 3.0 would be more appropriate for an Eng-5 and that only Eng-5 should continue to get the boost.  Also, since timewarping is contra-indicated for warp operations, this change makes interstellar operations a tad more problematic given that you have to sit and babysit the mission.

warpSpeedSkillMultiplier is editable in the WBIWarpEngine. It defaults to 0.01, but you can change it. Try 0.1 and see if that helps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

warpSpeedSkillMultiplier is editable in the WBIWarpEngine. It defaults to 0.01, but you can change it. Try 0.1 and see if that helps.

Reprieve!!  but...  I'm unclear on where to put this.  Is a thing I can put in settings.cfg or in all the things that call:

MODULE
	{
		name = WBIWarpEngine

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

Reprieve!!  but...  I'm unclear on where to put this.  Is a thing I can put in settings.cfg or in all the things that call:

MODULE
	{
		name = WBIWarpEngine

 

Go to each warp engine / warp core part CFG file, in WildBlueTools/Blueshift/Parts/Engine/WarpTech, and edit the warpSpeedSkillMultiplier field of the WBIWarpEngine module in the part.

Or learn to use ModuleManager, the basics aren't too hard. Here's a good place to learn: https://github.com/sarbian/ModuleManager/wiki/Module-Manager-Handbook

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, SkyFall2489 said:

Go to each warp engine / warp core part CFG file, in WildBlueTools/Blueshift/Parts/Engine/WarpTech, and edit the warpSpeedSkillMultiplier field of the WBIWarpEngine module in the part.

Or learn to use ModuleManager, the basics aren't too hard. Here's a good place to learn: https://github.com/sarbian/ModuleManager/wiki/Module-Manager-Handbook

@SkyFall2489 So, is it really as easy as this example?
 

@PART[wbiS2WarpCore]
{
    @MODULE[WBIWarpEngine]
    {
        @warpSpeedSkillMultiplier = 0.1
    }
}

I guess this goes into a .cfg and is placed in ./GameData ??

Ooooo... or maybe even better....

@PART[wbi*]:HAS[@MODULE[WBIWarpEngine]]
{
    @warpSpeedSkillMultiplier = 0.1
}

I suppose that I could get more specific with wbi*Warp* defining the part - assuming that MM treats that as valid.

Edited by Ooglak Kerman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yep. Although, if you want, in stead of "@PART[wbiS2WarpCore]" you could put "@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[WBIWarpEngine]]"

That will select any and every part with a name longer than 0 characters and has the warp engine module.

 

EDIT: Some how, you just came ip with the idea I was about to suggest.

EDIT 2: Oh, and you can enter multiple part names, separated by commas. What you plan to do edits the warpSpeedSkillMultiplier field of the part itself - which does not exist. You still need to select the part module.

Edited by SkyFall2489
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm a data center architect and big into terraform and ansible (define network infrastructure with code).  You were kind enough to get me rolling on this and Sarbians primer was great and I'm seeing a lot of places to go.  Thanks so much for this!

Huhh... next thing, I'll be making a mod.  Nooooooooo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

I'm a data center architect and big into terraform and ansible (define network infrastructure with code).  You were kind enough to get me rolling on this and Sarbians primer was great and I'm seeing a lot of places to go.  Thanks so much for this!

Huhh... next thing, I'll be making a mod.  Nooooooooo

Down the rabbit hole ya go!

I fell in a while ago.

 

EDIT: Oh, perhaps the "angelo kerman" in your story.. or perhaps some 7 star engineer, "Sarbian Kerman", has mastered the dark arts of MM patching and can edit the properties of ships at will... maybe that's too OP or 4th wall breaking, though.

Edited by SkyFall2489
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, SkyFall2489 said:

EDIT: Oh, perhaps the "angelo kerman" in your story.. or perhaps some 7 star engineer, "Sarbian Kerman", has mastered the dark arts of MM patching and can edit the properties of ships at will... maybe that's too OP or 4th wall breaking, though.

That's actually really funny.  I've felt that the contributions that Sarbian has made are really hard to overstate.  I'm imagining a conversation between Angelo and Sarbian over at Angelo's luxurious abode.  Over Orbital Ale.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Angel-125 Huhhh..  here is my MM patch

@PART[wbi*]:HAS[@MODULE[WBIWarpEngine]]
{
    @warpSpeedSkillMultiplier = 0.6
}

It's getting picked up.  The number of MM patches get incremented appropriately, but it's not having any effect.    I've named it warpMultiplier.cfg and put it into ./GameData

Though....  if I put this into the individual module for the part, it gets picked up properly and I have the go-fast

warpSpeedSkillMultiplier = 0.6

 

Then, I gave this a try and no go.

@PART[wbi*]:HAS[@MODULE[WBIWarpEngine]]
{
    warpSpeedSkillMultiplier = 0.6
}

I'm sure there is something minor that I'm missing here.  Am I putting the file into the wrong place?

Edited by Ooglak Kerman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Ooglak Kerman said:

@Angel-125 Huhhh..  here is my MM patch

@PART[wbi*]:HAS[@MODULE[WBIWarpEngine]]
{
    @warpSpeedSkillMultiplier = 0.6
}

It's getting picked up.  The number of MM patches get incremented appropriately, but it's not having any effect.    I've named it warpMultiplier.cfg and put it into ./GameData

Though....  if I put this into the individual module for the part, it gets picked up properly

warpSpeedSkillMultiplier = 0.6

 

Then, I gave this a try and no go.

@PART[wbi*]:HAS[@MODULE[WBIWarpEngine]]
{
    warpSpeedSkillMultiplier = 0.6
}

I'm sure there is something minor that I'm missing here.  Am I putting the file into the wrong place?

For now, modify the warp engine parts directly. Don't bother with a MM patch. Find wbiS2WarpCore.cfg, edit its WBIWarpEngine entry, add warpSpeedSkillMultiplier = 0.6 and see if it helps. If not, increase warpSpeedSkillMultiplier until it does.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

For now, modify the warp engine parts directly. Don't bother with a MM patch. Find wbiS2WarpCore.cfg, edit its WBIWarpEngine entry, add warpSpeedSkillMultiplier = 0.6 and see if it helps. If not, increase warpSpeedSkillMultiplier until it does.

Modifying the engine parts directly works just fine.  Being a fairly lazy fellow, I hoped to have a somewhat more persistent and easier way. 

I gather that these nodes are not editable via MM patch then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

Modifying the engine parts directly works just fine.  Being a fairly lazy fellow, I hoped to have a somewhat more persistent and easier way. 

I gather that these nodes are not editable via MM patch then.

 

@PART[wbiS3WarpCore,wbiS3WarpEngine,wbiMk2WarpCore,wbiS2WarpCore]
{
	@MODULE[WBIWarpEngine]
	{
		warpSpeedSkillMultiplier = 0.6
	}
}

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

That's a VERY significant performance reduction for a Scotty Eng-5 and and makes their contribution nearly insignificant.  I know you've released this, but I would argue that perhaps 2.5 - 3.0 would be more appropriate for an Eng-5

I disagree. As a real life R&D engineer I can say: We can not do wonders. 5% more power for a 5☆-Engineer is much, if you want to keep it halfway realisticly. You are always bound to what the design of the given device enables you. Or, if you are the designer: You know the limitations of your product. There is no way to make your car run 5 times faster, just by letting an experienced guy sit in it. 5% is a rational understandable value. Even if you do stuff like chip-tuning you always have some caveats to it. Is it the device duration until failure or is it the exhaust gas values that aren't compliant anymore... there is a reason, why the R&D guys sell the engines as they are. They made the best compromise already for you. And in reality there is no performance knob, which a Scotty-like-guy could simple tune up.

Even a Charles Tucker III could not make the enterprise NX-engine go faster than Warp 5 for a extended amount of time, without having it fly apart.

Yes, I respect the gameplay aspect, but the engineer boost of a fully experienced 5☆-engineer should not be any higher than 25% at max. Otherwise they wouldn't be engineers anymore. They would be magicians. To my mind not the desired gameplay. As for interstellar travel: the global interstellar spacial location warp boost could be increased to counter the long term "babysitting" situation, which @Ooglak Kerman described. 

 

Compromise proposal: How about a global parameter value in the blueshift main-config, that adjusts the engineer bonus of all warpdrives at once and is set to 1% or 3% per engineer-☆-Level as default? And people like @Ooglak Kerman could it adjust it to their liking by simply setting this one variable?! Also considder an adjustment of the interstellar warp boost to counter long mission babysitting, if you go interstellar.

 

Sidequestion: What happens if you let 3   5-☆-engineers sit in? Do you get 15% bonus? Or does only one engineer count? @Angel-125

 

 

 

Edited by Rakete
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Only the highest ranking engineer counts. And yeah, that 5% is realistic IMO. It’s like overclocking the CPU to get more performance but at the risk of overheating the PC and causing a blue screen of death. You are pushing the hardware to its limits.

 If warp travel is too slow even with the interstellar multiplier, consider turning on jumpgate anomalies- they are automatically placed around different star systems. Or consider using a teleportation mod like ESLD Jump Beacons. You could make a Module Manager patch to replace karborundrum with Graviolium to reduce resource logistics.

Originally Blueshift was only supposed to have 2-3 parts per mode of travel, but warp tech proved to be popular so I expanded it. I did have jump engines planned at one point, and have worked on some design concepts recently, but with jumpgate anomalies, player-built jumpgates, and even stargates, the mod has a lot of transport options.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/30/2022 at 6:45 AM, Rakete said:

Currently there are no Configs for OPM in the spacedust config. Only GEP is there, but I didn't touch the values since I don't have OPM or GEP atm and didn't want to destroy them. 

To my mind it should be designed by someone, who knows the concerning mods well and knows what to do. The abundances can be copypasted from the stock system and the height values of rings can adjusted according the atmo size values of the planets. But I don't know those mods well. Will reinstall OPM soon, i think.

If no one is currently working on OPM configs, I would be happy to make those.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Horizons Aerospace said:

If no one is currently working on OPM configs, I would be happy to make those.

Maybe have a look at the abundance values i provided for stock and tune yours in a comparable style? They are currently in the actual BS release.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Angel-125

At least both bussard collectors don't seem to use the present graviolium spacedust belt:

With engine running it gravi is drained, with engine off, the delta value is exactly 0 (not 0.00 for a small value). So the use of the spacedust harvester seems to incomplete. The PAW shows some harvested materials but not gravi. But the ship is somewhere in Kerbin's Gravi belt. So the Spacedust-harvester is there but needs to be configured to harvest gravi ? My best guess.

 

 

Again a most simplyfied testrig:

4hDSCs2.png

 

Also: under interplanetary conditions there is also no change in the gravi flow if you en/disable the collector:

PAW says: Intakeflow: 0m/s and no ressources to harvest. Or does it only apply while in planetary SOI ? and not in interplanetary space between planets?

d8WRPKN.png

 

 

 

Closed Issues: VAB Speed meets roundabout real-inflight-Speed (boosted with engineers... small deviation is still there, but neglectable).

 

 

Edited by Rakete
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also found something odd:

The WBI bussard collectors have defined SystemHeat (Mod by nertea, FFT-Dependency --- maybe a depency for the spacedust/FFT exospheric harvester module too ????) values for cooling (outlet temp and cooling needs (some kW were defined) as you can see in the VAB tooltip. But if you place them in the VAB, there is no systemheat interface, that makes them attachable to heat loops. Is it intended to be part of systemheat? Or is the availability of those values just an cosmetic issue?

@Grimmas You seem to be more an expert on MM patches then the really really unknowing me. Can you see, whats wrong there?  Has something to be fixed? I remember, that you are also a FFT user. (Why do I always think of fast fourier transformations, when I write FFT ?? :cool:) At least, i doesn't seem to generate errors... So maybe we should just remember, that even if its tool tip in the vab implies SystemHeat cooling needs, it doesn't need Systemheat cooling. Your opinion? Could be the easiest way, even not the cleanest.

@Angel-125 In case, you don't know what I am talking about:

One of the best things Nertea made. It's a dependency for FFT and Spacedust, as far as I remember. It connects to NF Electrical, NF Propulsion, FFT, Spacedust and all the other stuff by Nertea.

(Pro-Tip: In your next private playthrough give this mod compendium a chance. It fits nicely to your mods. Can't imagine to play KSP without it anymore. - Like your Blueshift has become one of my favorite mods.)

Edited by Rakete
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Rakete said:

@Angel-125

At least both bussard collectors don't seem to use the present graviolium spacedust belt:

With engine running it gravi is drained, with engine off, the delta value is exactly 0 (not 0.00 for a small value). So the use of the spacedust harvester seems to incomplete. The PAW shows some harvested materials but not gravi. But the ship is somewhere in Kerbin's Gravi belt. So the Spacedust-harvester is there but needs to be configured to harvest gravi ? My best guess.

Again a most simplyfied testrig:

Also: under interplanetary conditions there is also no change in the gravi flow if you en/disable the collector:

PAW says: Intakeflow: 0m/s and no ressources to harvest. Or does it only apply while in planetary SOI ? and not in interplanetary space between planets?

Closed Issues: VAB Speed meets roundabout real-inflight-Speed (boosted with engineers... small deviation is still there, but neglectable).

 

 

Sounds like someone who is an expert on SpaceDust needs to look at Blueshift's Bussard collectors. I can't fix everything. From the looks of it, you are warping in interplanetary space so I don't expect there to be SpaceDust to collect. Be sure to check Blueshift/Patches/SpaceDustForBlueshift.cfg, the harvester is present on the Bussard Collectors, and it defines graviolium. I'm not going to touch those configs as I have other things to do.  As it is, I'm making one more update, and then I'm tabling Blueshift until I get where I want to be with Buffalo 2.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

 

@PART[wbiS3WarpCore,wbiS3WarpEngine,wbiMk2WarpCore,wbiS2WarpCore]
{
	@MODULE[WBIWarpEngine]
	{
		warpSpeedSkillMultiplier = 0.6
	}
}

 

This worked!  Restaurant sized jug of Awesome Sauce.

Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

This worked!  Restaurant sized jug of Awesome Sauce.

Thanks.

The issue with your old code was that it was attempting to edit the warpSpeedSkillMultiplier of the part node, not the warp engine module. You see, you selected the part when you said @PART... at the very beginning. the HAS statement selects parts with a specific module node, it does not select that module node for modification.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...