[Min KSP 1.12.2] Blueshift: Kerbal FTL

Angelo Kerman

5 minutes ago, Steigleder said:

Astra Portia, I activated it and I selected the destination.

Sorry for no pics. I'm typing from my phone. When I get home I will upload the photos

If it is the large jumpgate then the graviolium has to be paid by the ship going through the gate.

Great mod A ... one small issue I've run into with the current release ... the Auto-circularize button on the disappears when you actually use the drive ... a workaround to get it back is to switch to a far away target and switch back ... but it is a bit of a kludge.  Another thing, which may or may not be related is that Auto-circularize is no longer an option for the drive when defining Action Sets.

8 minutes ago, pjt36 said:

Great mod A ... one small issue I've run into with the current release ... the Auto-circularize button on the disappears when you actually use the drive ...

Not really sure what you mean. Do you see the button when you come out of warp/have zero thrust?
You can only use the button when you're not actually warping.

Just now, modus said:

Not really sure what you mean. Do you see the button when you come out of warp/have zero thrust?
You can only use the button when you're not actually warping.

Apologies ...

As an example ...

Activated the engine, and the button disappeared. Used the drive to warp to a distant moon, after arriving in the moons sphere of influence, set throttle to zero and shut down warp engine, but the Auto-circularize button did not re-appear.  (should it?) ... switched to a distant target and switched back to the ship, the button is there again and Auto-circularize works as normal.  ... does this help?

3 hours ago, modus said:

How close were you to the moon?

I think you have to be at a certain distance ( @Angel-125?)

Not precisely certain the distance, but the drive was working, and the button did eventually appear after the target switch workaround.  ....   so, my assumption would be that it would normally appear as soon as the drive is shut down. ... (Unless there's something I'm missing) :)

Let me know if anyone gets the reference on the name of Jeb, Bill, and Bobs warp drive

5 hours ago, obnox twin said:

I think it was 500km  depending on the body

1 equatorial radius of the body for warp cutoff.   600KM for Kerbin.  300KM for Vall.  If you use the warp drives a lot for autocircularization, a warp cutoff chart of the planets is a good thing.

Regarding the button for auto circularize, the throttle must be at zero for the button to be there.  You can't autocircularize while in warp.

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

18 hours ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

Let me know if anyone gets the reference on the name of Jeb, Bill, and Bobs warp drive

1 equatorial radius of the body for warp cutoff.   600KM for Kerbin.  300KM for Vall.  If you use the warp drives a lot for autocircularization, a warp cutoff chart of the planets is a good thing.

Regarding the button for auto circularize, the throttle must be at zero for the button to be there.  You can't autocircularize while in warp.

Looks like there might be a bug in this release (1.8.6) with auto-circularize .... was fiddling with it and found I could jump to a target halfway across the system just by pushing that little button.

22 minutes ago, pjt36 said:

Looks like there might be a bug in this release (1.8.6) with auto-circularize .... was fiddling with it and found I could jump to a target halfway across the system just by pushing that little button.

Have you adjusted these settings in settings.cfg ?  They control the rendezvous distance.

minRendezvousDistancePlanetary
minRendezvousDistanceInterplanetary

@Angel-125 I can confirm that Blueshift 1.8.6 is not honoring minRendezvousDistancePlanetary.

For me, minRendezvousDistancePlanetary = 300000 and I was able to rendezvous with a target on the other side of Kerbin - 3000km away.  Don't see this as any pressing issue though.
From Kerbin orbit, I was able to rendezvous with a target in orbit of Jool.

Ok..now this is wierd.    This only manifests in my test save in sandbox mode.   Moar testing!

This issue exists for me in 1.8.5 and again only in sandbox mode and only with a specific ship that has the S-3 Star Frontiers engine.    @pjt36  what warp drive are you using?  Can you try this test against other warp engines?  This is looking like one of those KSP vaguarities.

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

13 hours ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

@Angel-125 I can confirm that Blueshift 1.8.6 is not honoring minRendezvousDistancePlanetary.

For me, minRendezvousDistancePlanetary = 300000 and I was able to rendezvous with a target on the other side of Kerbin - 3000km away.  Don't see this as any pressing issue though.
From Kerbin orbit, I was able to rendezvous with a target in orbit of Jool.

Ok..now this is wierd.    This only manifests in my test save in sandbox mode.   Moar testing!

This issue exists for me in 1.8.5 and again only in sandbox mode and only with a specific ship that has the S-3 Star Frontiers engine.    @pjt36  what warp drive are you using?  Can you try this test against other warp engines?  This is looking like one of those KSP vaguarities.

Using the Mk2 "Starflight" Warp Core.

Also tested with the S-2 "Planet's Edge" Warp Core ... from the orbit of Minmus, was able to rendezvous with a target in the orbit of Jool.

2 hours ago, pjt36 said:

Using the Mk2 "Starflight" Warp Core.

Also tested with the S-2 "Planet's Edge" Warp Core ... from the orbit of Minmus, was able to rendezvous with a target in the orbit of Jool.

Huh..  I can reproduce the issue, just not reliably.  Guess I need to build up a new ship in 1.8.6 to try.   At least this doesn't break anything.

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

More and more curious.  All new warp ships launched in at least 1.8.5 and 1.8.6 can perform a rendezvous at arbitrary distance.  This persists across quick saves and game restarts in both 1.8.5 and 1.8.6.

This also persists across an upgrade from 1.8.5 to 1.8.6 for ships that were launched in 1.8.5.  I've not yet tested versions prior to 1.8.5.

At some point in the past this "feature" did not exist - probably around 1.7.7.  That was the last that I launched any new warp ships and none launched from back then have this feature and the upgrades do not induce it.  It's only with newly launched ships.   How very weird.  Again, this doesn't break anything - aside from my OCD brain.

update:  not quite arbitrary.  An auto-rendezvous from Kerbin to Jool is fine.  Kerbin to Neidon (OPM) seems to be just too far.
Also, the ships do not have to be newly constructed.  Pre-existing designs that are newly launched - as well as new scratch built ships will have this feature.

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

50 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Yeah, I can fly that's going to get fixed.

I'd say... don't knock yourself out.  Nothing is broken.  I'd say it just counts as a cheat.

But.... when you do - I would like to know what is causing this.  I'd like to understand how this won't manifest for ships launched at a certain version, but will for ones launched after.

10 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Blueshift 1.8.7 is now available:

Fixes

- If targeting another vessel during auto-circularization, the target vessel must be in the same SOI as the current vessel.
- Added additional checks for minimum distance required to rendezvous with another vessel.

The big question is why this issue did not exist on ships launched in older versions - yet the same ship launched in affected versions had it. 
Well.. maybe not big - but inquiring minds would love to know.

@Angel-125 I regret to inform that for newly launched ships the issue still exists.  Previously launched ships that had the issue no longer have it though.
However.. the newly launched ships are respecting the SOI constraint in all test cases.  SOI constraint look to be an easy check, but for minimum distance checks, I ran out of fingers and toes.

1 hour ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

@Angel-125 I regret to inform that for newly launched ships the issue still exists.  Previously launched ships that had the issue no longer have it though.
However.. the newly launched ships are respecting the SOI constraint in all test cases.  SOI constraint look to be an easy check, but for minimum distance checks, I ran out of fingers and toes.

I'm not understanding how that can be the case. I tested it with Warp Core Breech launched straight out of the VAB. There's nothing in the circularization code that would cause the issue to happen for newer ships. It's just checking the sphere of influence of the two craft and comparing the distance between them.

Right?  I don't see how this can be.  I was testing with Vals trusty Warp Tanker.  I had thought that possibly it could be the MM patch I made to persist the Blueshift settings from version to version, but taking that out of the equation didn't change things.

I'll test against other designs.  I would sure like to see if there is anyone else who is seeing this behavior or if it's just me.

I do like how it tells you if you're too far away from a targeted vessel - though it will be a thing to make sure you don't have a vessel unintentionally targeted and then try to auto-circularize

Edited by Ooglak Kerman