Voice Actor for KSP 2 Tutorials

So... I heard there was going to be tutorials in KSP 2!

Saw some pictures of them, and I thought the cartoony style reminded me of one specific YouTuber explaining guy.

I think that the voice actor who does Kurzgesagt: In a Nutshell should voice the tutorials.

If anyone has ever watched one of those videos, then you will know what I mean.

I'm against any youtuber voicing anything in the game, it's a small and mostly short lived novelty value for some players but it will never stop being irritating for those who happen to dislike whichever youtuber is chosen. The only thing more important in game development than adding stuff that players like is to NOT add stuff that even a small percentage of players hate. Thought this whole topic was covered in another thread btw, am I just remembering wrong or is there a thread merge imminent?

6 hours ago, Rejected Spawn said:

I'm against any youtuber voicing anything in the game, it's a small and mostly short lived novelty value for some players but it will never stop being irritating for those who happen to dislike whichever youtuber is chosen. 

How is this different from literally any other VA? Or are you just against having voiced narration in KSP2 in general?

Scott is a good choice science-wise, but is his voice really that good for a voiceover in a funny animated tutorial? I don't know. Sure it would be a nice thing for fans, to hear his "hullo" but that's about it. There should be a voice with a bit higher pitch/tone (correct me, I'm not good with this terminology), clearly understandable for everyone around the globe, assuming there's no decision about sound localisation.

15 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Scott is a good choice science-wise, but is his voice really that good for a voiceover in a funny animated tutorial?

How about ShadowZone, then? I know, I know, you said high pitch, but does it really have to be? I think ShadowZone's intonations fit with the theme. And then there's his infamous, "Again!" which is a catch phrase far more likely to be followed by typical KSP player than Scott's, "Fly safe."

41 minutes ago, K^2 said:

How is this different from literally any other VA? Or are you just against having voiced narration in KSP2 in general?

I reserve the right not to name any specific person I would personally loathe to hear in KSP2. For the record I'm watching just about everything Matt Lowne ever posts and mostly not because of the footage but because he's amusing thanks to the rambly and relaxed way he talks, I still wouldn't want him voicing anything at all anywhere in the game except AT MOST a very short easter egg recording on some mysterious storage device buried at the foot of a monolith left by a long gone and very bored alien who was just messing around.

What sounds like a "knowledgeable teacher" to someone can sound like a "smug condescending prick" to another, what sounds like a "funny accent and style" to someone can sound like a "dumb clown" to another. The only thing in Kerbal Space Program that can safely incorporate any noticeable "personality" would be a Kerbal, if there is a need for human voices to break the kerbal immersion then make them as plain as possible.

1 hour ago, Rejected Spawn said:

What sounds like a "knowledgeable teacher" to someone can sound like a "smug condescending prick" to another, what sounds like a "funny accent and style" to someone can sound like a "dumb clown" to another. The only thing in Kerbal Space Program that can safely incorporate any noticeable "personality" would be a Kerbal, if there is a need for human voices to break the kerbal immersion then make them as plain as possible.

I don't disagree with the problem, but I don't think above would solve it either. By the same token, what sounds like "plain voice" to one person will sound "uninspired and phoned in" to another.

To be clear, I don't expect any intelligible VA over a Kerbal talking. Kerbals should continue speaking Kerbish with subtitles if necessary. But a voice behind the screen might be good in tutorials not only as framing, but for accessibility as well. Some people might have hard time focusing on mission and reading text at the same time, and pausing to read text isn't always great. With that in mind, there ought to be some decent compromise on the voice. And hey, maybe you're right that none of the prominent KSP YouTubers would fit the bill, simply because there aren't that may of them. My point was more along the lines that I don't think that'd have anything to do with them being YouTubers.

9 minutes ago, K^2 said:

-- My point was more along the lines that I don't think that'd have anything to do with them being YouTubers.

At first glance this seems like a good point but why use a youtuber over a professional VA then? The problem is that the only youtubers who ever gain a substantial enough following that someone "wants to hear them in a game" are the ones that "ooze personality" but that's also always the exact same thing that will set some players off as just not being appropriate in the game in question. Going for the super plain option isn't going to be liked by everyone for sure but the key is still that nobody would flat out actually "hate" that option, and that's surprisingly important. Humans aren't particularly good at general information retention in the first place, we vividly remember anything that leaves a strong impression and easily forget anything that doesn't, that's why it's such a minefield to put in anything that someone could intensely dislike. (I'm sure thousands of Fallout 4 players eventually gave up because of Preston Garvey's antics alone.) I'm not advocating unreasonable caution like "maybe someone hates jet engines" so KSP2 won't have jet engines, I'm just very concerned that any "personality" imbued into the game that isn't strictly a Kerbal variety is going to ruffle some really sensitive feathers and there's nothing of any substantial value to gain from that risk in this case...

Best of all would be if the tutorials and stuff just explain things with such good and right-to-the-point illustrations that only 5-10 words on screen will suffice to fill in any blanks and if memory serves they said the game will pause when displaying this sort of stuff anyway, there's really no way to justify being too lazy to read 10 words on screen when playing a game that's literally about rocket science. :D As for the probability of there being any human voice at all, I'm inclined to agree that it's not very likely.

Another thing to consider is the relationship Private Division would have to open with a possible Youtube VA. Let's use Matt Lowne as an example, again. He sometimes mentions in his KSP videos that he also plays Planet Coaster and invites us viewers to watch those videos as well. If Matt were to be hired to do the VO's in KSP2, it opens the possibility of a Private Division Employee advertising a game that a different studio developed. Of course, contracts can be drawn up to get around this and other more "legalese" issues, but I see the long term impact being that Matt would have to limit what he posts on his Youtube channel in the same sense someone like Elon Musk doesn't drive around in a Ford.

49 minutes ago, Meecrob said:

Matt would have to limit what he posts on his Youtube channel

I don't see why a contract would limit what someone can do in their free time.

I mean sure, there are certain contracts (I am looking at you, Disney) where all your work, no matter what you do is basically theirs, but I don't think that's gonna happen. Besides, voice actors still do whatever the heck they want. (yes there are two links there)

6 hours ago, Meecrob said:

Another thing to consider is the relationship Private Division would have to open with a possible Youtube VA. Let's use Matt Lowne as an example, again. He sometimes mentions in his KSP videos that he also plays Planet Coaster and invites us viewers to watch those videos as well.

I would avoid working with publisher fanatical enough about their product that this becomes a problem, and it's a rarity in my experience. Though, sadly, I have seen examples, and I can only hope I won't need to add PD to the list.

Generally, you would want any payed work to focus on the game you are marketing, whether it's for-hire work on VA or even just a sponsored stream. But it's very common for streamers with formal relationships with a game company to still have un-sponsored streams where they may be talking about other games, or even switch to playing some other game. And unless that other game is in direct competition, it's rarely a problem.

I'll never understand why there's such a thirst for shoehorning in random content creators for no real reason. I have nothing against any of the youtubers being suggested (quite the opposite), but I really don't find the idea of them within the game appealing. If there is voice-over, it should be much more characterful, befitting of the spirit of the Kerbals.

What I am saying is that in the confines of the scenario that Private Division wants to hire a Youtube personality, not a VA actor, they will have to enter into a business relationship. If you were PD, would you want someone you hired to be "The Voice" for KSP2 turn around and make a video about Simple Rockets 2 for their Youtube channel? I'm not saying one way or the other, that's why I specifically stated "another thing to consider..."

Seriously though, you guys have never heard of non-compete clauses?

Edit: Kerbals speak Spanish backwards, I don't know why this is even a question to be honest.

Edited by Meecrob

1 hour ago, Meecrob said:

Seriously though, you guys have never heard of non-compete clauses?

They're illegal (non-enforceable) in California, which is where pretty much all VA and Youtubers reside.

And no, I've never heard what you describe being a problem.

As I understand the OP wasn't talking about a YT personality, but about the voice actor in the team of Kurzgesagt, it's not your random youtuber.