KSP Loading...: Kerbal engineers are stepping up their game!

UomoCapra

SkM5Y49ae0AbLGhh4hBK2lDX12lDe2-Vn1_AVRYH

Welcome to our official newsletter, KSP Loading…! If you want to learn about all the current developments of the KSP franchise, then this is the place to be!

And now, let’s talk about everything KSP!

Kerbal Space Program Update 1.11 on PC

Kerbal Space Program 1.11: Some Reassembly Required is being released this winter (well, winter in some parts of the planet). With it we are not only including a number of quality-of-life features, the Joolian moons visual enhancements, and some new parts - as we talked about in the past issue of KSP Loading - but also some more significant and game changing elements that give this update its name. Buckle up and let’s get into the details of Some Reassembly Required!

EVA Construction Mode

EVA Construction Mode is the main feature included in Kerbal Space Program 1.11: Some Reassembly Required. This allows Kerbal engineers to adjust many parts on a craft while on EVA.

The tools at your disposal while in this mode are similar to what you find in the VAB/SPH, such as place, rotate, and move. You can also visualize the center of mass, center of thrust, and the center of lift for a vessel. However, there are of course some limitations:

An engineer will only be able to adjust parts that are within their range, whether these are on a vessel, inside nearby storage containers, laying around in their proximity, or in their own inventory slots.

Only parts below a certain weight threshold will be able to be manipulated, but constructing in lower gravity allows a Kerbal to build bigger! Kerbals can only manipulate one part at a time and only construct with attachable parts; for example, a deployable experiment will not be able to be attached to a vehicle in this mode. Finally, some parts are just too bulky to build with and will stay right where you left them.

Another key consideration is that during Construction mode, the game is not paused, so you’ll be able to move your Kerbal around, and you’ll have to mind your surroundings - maybe attempting to reassemble your spaceship during re-entry is not a great idea. :P

Inventory System Changes

Back in 2019, in update 1.7, we introduced cargo parts and inventory to the game in order to allow Kerbals to carry and deploy science equipment in the Breaking Ground expansion. The base game, however, did not make much use of this feature, until now... With update 1.11 we are expanding upon the inventory system and giving it deeper meaning and functionality! These changes include the option to carry and stack various parts in your craft’s inventory and expand upon the ability of Kerbals to carry an inventory of their own. Let’s go into greater detail on each of these functions. 

New Inventory Functionality

We’re extending the inventory functionality with a few new tweaks: players can now stack small parts in an inventory slot, inventories measure the volume of all parts - as a limit on how many parts can fit in an inventory, and many more parts can now be put into an inventory, to support the construction feature.

Cargo Mode in the VAB/SPH

Cargo mode makes it easier to get access to all of the inventories on a craft. Available in the VAB/SPH, Cargo Mode opens a panel showing the different inventories available in a craft and what’s been assigned to each, and quickly places items in any inventory on the craft. The part toolbox is also filtered down to just parts that can go into an inventory. 

Kerbals & Inventory

With this update each Kerbal will have two inventory slots. Moreover, Parachutes and EVA jetpacks are now inventory items, giving more flexibility on how you equip your Kerbals. If a Kerbal is not carrying the jetpack or the parachute, these won’t appear on their back. Kerbal mass & crewed parts have been adjusted to account for all of these changes.

Cargo App in Flight

While in flight, the Cargo App gives access to all inventory slots on the craft. Clicking the app icon will open a panel that shows all craft inventories. 

Part Repairs

We are adding repair kits, a new cargo part which engineers use to repair breakable parts on site, including deployable solar panels, antenna, wheels, radiators, robot arms, etc. 

EVA Science Experiment Kit

While on EVA, a crew member can use the EVA Science Experiment Kit to run some fun situation-based experiments by accessing the Kerbals part action window.

If the right conditions are met the Kerbal will play one of three pretty cool animations and collect science for that science experiment, including testing the bizarre Dzhanibekov Effect!

New contracts

We are including three new contract types to make use of the new features within Career Mode. For example, you can take on a contract where you’ll be asked to find and assemble a damaged rover and then drive it to a designated waypoint.

Remember, you can share and download craft and missions on CurseKerbalX, the KSP Forum and the KSP Steam Workshop.

That’s it for this edition. Be sure to join us on our official forums, and don’t forget to follow us on TwitterInstagram and Facebook. Stay tuned for more exciting and upcoming news and development updates!

Happy launchings and happy Thanksgiving!

1 hour ago, UomoCapra said:

With this update each Kerbal will have two inventory slots. Moreover, Parachutes and EVA jetpacks are now inventory items, giving more flexibility on how you equip your Kerbals. If a Kerbal is not carrying the jetpack or the parachute, these won’t appear on their back. 

I am very happy about this - EVAing in orbit on the Mun always felt weird with the Kerbal wearing a WWI parachute pack!

Any chance we could get helmets turned into inventory items (perhaps in a future update?) Then you could mix and match helmets from the different suit types, and modders could even add their own custom helmets (this is something I’ve been dying to do for ages!)

Well this is exciting. Question, though, will we be able to place "compound parts", ie struts and fuel lines, and then run them with this new system? I notice at about 1:10, there is what looks like a strut in the inventory of what I'm assuming is a new 2.5 m diameter container, so I'm assuming that might be a yes, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. I'm also assuming the limitations about fuel lines and struts, being only able to run between parts that are in the same vessel, still holds, so we couldn't use this to, say, manually link up ships on a surface to refuel, is that accurate as well?

Edited by Shamash

I never realized but I have been waiting for more stuff to do on EVA! The fact that jetpacks are now an item means that recreating historical missions will be more accurate. 

Spoiler

Astronaut Kerbonaut tethers?

Edited by KeaKaka

Can we detach parts too? For example detaching some parts to gain a little delta-V?

And then, will, from now on, kerbal's weight be taken into account for calculating delta-V? That is, if I stuff a ship with 20 Kerbals, will it have less delta-V than if only one kerbal is on that same ship?

Edited by Terensky
grammar

31 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

This looks very cool. One little question I'm sure a lot of people are thinking... will any small parts that have node attach be able to attach to other parts via an open/free node?

You can node-attach parts, similar to the editor.

22 minutes ago, Shamash said:

Well this is exciting. Question, though, will we be able to place "compound parts", ie struts and fuel lines, and then run them with this new system? I notice at about 1:10, there is what looks like a strut in the inventory of what I'm assuming is a new 2.5 m diameter container, so I'm assuming that might be a yes, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. I'm also assuming the limitations about fuel lines and struts, being only able to run between parts that are in the same vessel, still holds, so we couldn't use this to, say, manually link up ships on a surface to refuel, is that accurate as well?

Yes, you can use compound parts, and yes only between parts on the same vessel

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.