KSP Loading...: Kerbal engineers are stepping up their game!

UomoCapra

Hooooo this is amazing!! Question though: is it possible to attach two collections of parts? Essentially connecting two craft without using a docking connector, so that they're aligned properly. Also, if we have multiple kerbals nearby, will they increase the part size/weight limit, as if they're helping out?

3 hours ago, UomoCapra said:

Kerbal mass & crewed parts have been adjusted to account for all of these changes.

So what does this mean for crewed parts from mods?  Do they get broken or have mismatched masses?  Does the mass of a craft change if Kerbals transfer between stock and mod parts?

If this functionality isn't automatically transferrable in previously existing mods, what are the changes that modders would have to add?  I'm a bit concerned about older parts packs that don't have a patron, like LGG, to keep them going.

P.S. - Same question for dV calculators and flight planners, like MJ, KER, and Astrogator - are they all going to have to be fixed for this? 

Edited by KSPrynk

2 hours ago, Kaerbanogue said:

Parachutes and EVA jetpacks are now inventory items, giving more flexibility on how you equip your Kerbals.  If a Kerbal is not carrying the jetpack or the parachute, these won’t appear on their back.

This

Until I forget they're not carrying a jetpack and go EVA or jump out of plane without the parachute in their inventory... splat goes kerbal LOL

54 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

Are the mass and distance (reach) limitations easily overridden in a config file?

Amazing news, BTW. I hoped but never really expected this. I guess I'll need to up my expectations in the future!

All the usual CFG goodness like existing features yes

1 hour ago, Gargamel said:

It's not that type of game.  ;)

Really looking forward to this update guys!  Thanks!

I take it you have never used KIS/ KAS - Kerbal is exactly that type of game! If you like to build your own recovery systems, reusable launch systems, rescues, etc.

@Gargamel I apologize! I totally misunderstood and didn't realize I misspelled 'winches'....lul!

e4pYfkk.png
3qrKkL0.png

Edited by Rocketology

Wow!!  I am so happy for this update.   THANKS Squad!

KIS and KAS have always been essentials for me - so a great big shout out and thanks to @IgorZ for creating and maintaining them.

Nevertheless it is great to have this kind of capability now in stock.  The same goes for the the new lights - another favourite mod of mine is Aviation Lights: shout outs and thanks to @Bignose and @MOARdV - I think Christmas is (likely) coming early!

BTW - love:wub: the laser welder and visor :cool:.

Just now, MechBFP said:

Cool stuff. This adds a lot of potential for newer old veteran players who should know better but still always forget batteries to help them save themselves instead of having to revert or load an old save when something isn't quite right.

FYP.  :P    

Yeah, Having the ability to send up roadside orbitside assistance is a good thing. 

8 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

Actually they said Winter, which mostly comes after Christmas.

"Winter 2020 in Northern Hemisphere will begin on Monday December 21, 2020 and ends on Saturday March 20, 2021"

So somewhere in there.

Edited by MechBFP

1 hour ago, KSPrynk said:

So what does this mean for crewed parts from mods?  Do they get broken or have mismatched masses?  Does the mass of a craft change if Kerbals transfer between stock and mod parts?

If this functionality isn't automatically transferrable in previously existing mods, what are the changes that modders would have to add?  I'm a bit concerned about older parts packs that don't have a patron, like LGG, to keep them going.

P.S. - Same question for dV calculators and flight planners, like MJ, KER, and Astrogator - are they all going to have to be fixed for this? 

It automatically applies to all parts that can contain crew, with the option for modders to not have it apply.

Ill be honest, this is byfar the best update that weve had in a while since it actually adds stock (even if limited since obviously noone will be able to lift a 5m tank on Eve) method to attach parts that were either missed on build (ive had this happen so many times that ive as of this point just given up and just teleported a new fixed ship while transfering crew and draining fuel to the same level to replace it in the same spot).  Hopefully its not too limited as in vaccum im pretty sure it wouldnt be beyond a Kerbal's capability to push around a ton or 2, probably more limited on the ground as i doubt lifting over 200kg is going to be viable without a mech suit of some sort (still, it should probably be CFG tweakeable so if i personally feel its too little/much weight i can tweak it).  Probably my first job with this will be to make a genuine authentic pirate vessel, the way they are supposed to be built in my universe, as in, manufactured from wreckage found floating around Kerbin (and then used to pillage defenseless freighters)...  That, or more likely add struts to all my stations.  I really hate autostruts (they are buggy and completely break immersion), so i might finally be able to ditch them entirely in my KSP game if i can bolt struts onto things after the fact (and even more critically strut asteroid fields together since those are really prone to wobbling even when using autostruts).

Really, the only thing we need now is a method to recover a vessel on Kerbin and then save it to the VAB/SPH after it was "built" or modified in space so that we can work on our space built monsters while actually in space and then return them for further tweaks in the VAB/SPH.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.