KSP Loading...: Kerbal engineers are stepping up their game!

UomoCapra

21 hours ago, SQUAD said:

The tools at your disposal while in this mode are similar to what you find in the VAB/SPH, such as place, rotate, and move. You can also visualize the center of mass, center of thrust, and the center of lift for a vessel.

Excellent to have this in stock, I love it!

21 hours ago, SQUAD said:

If a Kerbal is not carrying the jetpack or the parachute, these won’t appear on their back. Kerbal mass & crewed parts have been adjusted to account for all of these changes.

Ooh!  So potentially, the lightest crewed craft just got lighter!

Very nice, gives lots of new opportunities in the game! Probably one of the greatest additions to the game since the introduction of stock robotics in Breaking Ground! And that was a paid DLC, while this is a free update. Thanks a lot!

21 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

Is it possible to run a fuel line between two craft? 'Cuz that would be beyond awesome.

Well, I think it will make it possible to use either of the 'claw' parts to connect the vessels, then run a fuel line.  That will avoid fiddling about matching port alignments.

As nice as the announcements for the new update are, I would like to give some criticism.

Why is the announced update a slimmed down version implementation of the well-known and since a long time well working mod KIS/KAS?
Couldn't you come to an agreement with the developer of the mod or did you just want to reinvent the wheel for fun?
In my opinion a complete implementation of KIS/KAS would have been more reasonable and more realistic.

If I remember rightly, the game should not only be fun to play but also teach basics in physics, mathematics and space technology in general.
Do you really see it as a good idea to use a high energy laser for welding instead of gluing, screwing or clamping on a spacecraft filled with large amounts of high explosive materials?
Really a brilliant idea to bring the poor Kerbals safely to the other side and a bad example of applied space technology.

Please contact the engineers of one of the big space agencies and let them advise you.

;) regards

7 minutes ago, hraban said:

Why is the announced update a slimmed down version implementation of the well-known and since a long time well working mod KIS/KAS?
Couldn't you come to an agreement with the developer of the mod or did you just want to reinvent the wheel for fun?

You know right that every possible feature is already a mod and every highly desirable one is already a popular one at that?

There's a limited number of things you can add to KSP without remaking the game from scratch that can result in a successful update and modders already explored all of those.

@nestor @Maxsimal A few questions I still have:

• Will Kerbals be able to carry containers on their backs, as in KIS? Given that the Kerbals have only two slots and limited inventory space I feel like this would be very useful. I can imagine doing a big construction project using this and it'd be annoying to have to run back and forth to get parts.
  • Will having multiple engineers in the vicinity of the part you want to attach/detach affect the maximum mass that can be moved? (Once again, this is a feature in KIS that is often very useful for large-scale construction).
  • Can we rotate parts with WASDQE prior to attachment in this mode?
  • Is the re-root tool available for EVA construction?

Almost a bit surprised nobody asked yet, guess I'll do it myself... Will any of this engineer epicness be accessible while an engineer is sitting in an external command seat?

First reason I'm asking: My flight skill in EVA expressed in percentage from none to legendary is dangerously close to a negative value. I prefer my little green friends to stay safe so it would be nice to make a movable robotic arm with a seat and stick onto a construction vessel that grabs the soon-to-be-remodeled craft with a klaw and holds it nice and steady.

Second reason: Seriously the above use case description would look madly cool, imagine a shuttle that opens its bay and extends one pistoned klaw to grab a satellite and a more flexible arm that reaches out with a kerbal on it to modify the sat... Not really expecting this functionality (yet) but it would look seriously professional. ^_^

16 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Oh sure, you're all happy about it now. Wait until your first kerbal bails out of his crippled airplane with what turns out to be a repair kit on his back. Then you'll be singing a different tune. 

At least he has a repair kit to fix his mashed bones after gracefully landing on the surgace. I also assume the kit will include some kind of a tool to scrape off the mystery gooeasing the work of clean-up recovery crews

This is great news!

On 11/25/2020 at 6:05 PM, UomoCapra said:

EVA Construction Mode

EVA Construction Mode is the main feature included in Kerbal Space Program 1.11: Some Reassembly Required. This allows Kerbal engineers to adjust many parts on a craft while on EVA.

Will you also be able to remove parts? Say, an antenna blocking the hatch beacuse of a wrong symmetry...

17 minutes ago, Hohmannson said:

If we'll have the same tools as in VAB, will we be able to attach a launch clamp that is extended to the ground, like we do in VAB? That could be the ultimate mean of colony stability.

See the section called "Landed Part/Vessel Anchoring".

This seems like a lot of change for a "point" update :)    Why not call it 1.2 ?     [edit: misunderstood versioning;  thx Devoblue for clarifying]

Any Career-mode limitations, based on engineer level?  Adding to craft in orbit, could be "overpowered," when combined with part limits, early in Career.

Edited by basic.syntax

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.