KSP Loading...: Kerbal engineers are stepping up their game!

UomoCapra

1 minute ago, JIMMY_the_DOG said:

What's the "weather forecast" for this update? (hopefully soon, from what I've heard this will be my favorite update...!)  Some people have sounded like it already came out... just checked and it's still at 2939...

"Winter" is the closest we have to a release date. So not in the next month, but less than 4 months from now.

2 hours ago, basic.syntax said:

Any Career-mode limitations, based on engineer level?  Adding to craft in orbit, could be "overpowered," when combined with part limits, early in Career.

I'm also curious how this interacts with the xp system.  Can y'all share any details there?

6 hours ago, JIMMY_the_DOG said:

Some people have sounded like it already came out... just checked and it's still at 2939...

There is a small group of (invite-only) volunteer prerelease testers and streamers who get access to updates early once they are feature-locked and in a reasonably playable state, in order to help with QA. So yes, some people here on the forums have been able to play with Construction Mode already. Don't expect them to tell you anything not officially revealed, because there's an NDA... and honestly, the devs worked hard on this, the privilege of dropping the info is theirs ;) But do look forward to this one, it's really good.

Sounds EPIC!

Can't wait to see what crazy designs this allows for :D

Thanks again SQUAD :)

Oh, and though this isn't the place for suggestions, if you could add conditions to the KAL-1000 such as 'run when fuel tank = empty', I would love you guys even more!

Does anyone know if engine parts are still being given an art pass at all?

On 11/26/2020 at 1:27 PM, Rejected Spawn said:

Almost a bit surprised nobody asked yet, guess I'll do it myself... Will any of this engineer epicness be accessible while an engineer is sitting in an external command seat?

First reason I'm asking: My flight skill in EVA expressed in percentage from none to legendary is dangerously close to a negative value. I prefer my little green friends to stay safe so it would be nice to make a movable robotic arm with a seat and stick onto a construction vessel that grabs the soon-to-be-remodeled craft with a klaw and holds it nice and steady.

Second reason: Seriously the above use case description would look madly cool, imagine a shuttle that opens its bay and extends one pistoned klaw to grab a satellite and a more flexible arm that reaches out with a kerbal on it to modify the sat... Not really expecting this functionality (yet) but it would look seriously professional. ^_^

Pretty sure you will be able to access these functions while holding onto a ladder. Hopefully they make it available from a command seat as well. We will see.

I'm glad I read through this before getting further along in my mission planning for building a spaceport and infrastructure system on Duna and Laythe!  Im hyped!

Edit: Would it be possible to set up buildings in VAB mode?  I'm planning on setting up an airbase on Laythe and want to build hangars out of structural panels so the planes aren't exposed to the elements as much.  Would I just need a lot of scaffolding due to limited range for building?

Edited by GKSP

1 hour ago, Lord Aurelius said:

It's awesome to see feature updates still coming to the game and the holes from the premature 1.0 launch being slowly fixed.

Now we just need life support and a career overhaul...

Can we get a tech tree overhaul as well? I always thought that since the DLCs were introduced it doesn't feel as balanced, more so towards the end of the tree.

57 minutes ago, Yellowburn10 said:

Can we get a tech tree overhaul as well? I always thought that since the DLCs were introduced it doesn't feel as balanced, more so towards the end of the tree.

Definitely, I would consider any career overhaul as also including the tech tree, part stats, etc.

8 hours ago, Souptime said:

Does this mean they can link ships as if they were docked?

7 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

I assume so, as long as one ship is under the mass limit.

There's no difference between a ship and a collection of parts, at least not to the game engine.

I think they said/meant you will be able to weld docking ports wherever you want them to link and dock them in the traditional way.

From my understanding it won't be possible to weld/link two crafts with the engineer.

Edited by Boyster

Boyster is correct. This was also already answered by Squad officials earlier in the thread. There is no linking together separate ships without docking or klawing them. But the ability to attach docking ports and klaws anywhere (at least where the gravity isn't too high) will make that much easier.

I mean - did you ever try to have a rover dock with a surface base, and found that the ports were ever so slightly misaligned, because the landing gear compressed more than you thought it would? Now an engineer can fix this in ten seconds. Enter construction mode, select the Move tool, select the docking port on the rover, edge it down a little, weld, exit construction mode, done. Your rover docks flawlessly now.

Maybe pulling a fuel line from the rover to the base would be more straightforward, but you don't really need it to make things work. And if gravity says no - well, even that is moddable, if you'd like your SuperKerbals to lift one-ton parts on Kerbin's surface! Really, just give it a chance. Just because a mod has trained you to think with fuel lines doesn't mean there aren't any other ways.

i have finally made a backup for 1.10.1.

now i dont need to worry about this update.

Edit: i removed all of the mods and removed some stuff and tested it out.

It works and loads! i didn't messed up

i also notice on the shorter loading time!

Edited by Miguelsgamingch

20 hours ago, Boyster said:

From my understanding it won't be possible to weld/link two crafts with the engineer.

Yeah I misremembered what they said a little later.

This:

On 11/25/2020 at 1:47 PM, Maxsimal said:

Yes, you can use compound parts,

...was followed immediately by this:

On 11/25/2020 at 1:47 PM, Maxsimal said:

and yes only between parts on the same vessel

So my bad, and now my sad.

On 11/28/2020 at 6:45 PM, Superfluous J said:

I assume so, as long as one ship is under the mass limit.

There's no difference between a ship and a collection of parts, at least not to the game engine.

A ship has a tree structure in the game engine. You can combine multiple tree structures with docking ports. Its weird.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.