KSP Loading...: Kerbal engineers are stepping up their game!

UomoCapra

2 hours ago, The Dressian Exploder said:

Question: Can you create new crafts through this?

For example, building a satellite in orbit from scratch.

We still have no definitive answer which parts can be assembled in which way like that.

On 12/13/2020 at 11:10 AM, Just a random person said:

Not sure, but at least I think you could attach a decoupler to your "mothership" and build the satellite on the decoupler- then fire the decoupler

In fact you could have a decoupler or docking port dedicated to such a purpose. And just build any vessel you need off of it, assuming of course you have the parts and ability to manipulate them.

With several such docking ports you could dock ships, dismantle them, then assemble new ships from the parts. The arriving ships don't even need docking ports of their own because you can just take one off the station and slap it on the arriving ship.

On 12/13/2020 at 9:29 AM, The Dressian Exploder said:

For example, building a satellite in orbit from scratch.

Parts remember their original construction date, so I'd expect the satellite to not be a "new" one, for contract purposes. We won't really know, though, until we try it.

One possibility might be to "launder" the parts by putting them into, then removing them from, an inventory slot. That might - but might not - wash off unique characteristics like original construction date.

Edited by Superfluous J

You are able to drop command parts, eg: probe cores or command pods in space or on the ground (assuming they are within weight and volume limits) or you can detach them from existing vessels and then drop them in space or on the ground. and then construct/attach other parts to them to create an entirely new/separate vessel.

I think it depends on what one mean by "building a craft". The fact that you can store probe cores (or even command pod as stated) means if you just want to cobble a relay sat (which really just need a probe core, a relay antenna, power source, battery, and maybe engine + fuel tank), you can do it.

The question rather becomes when would it be better (outside of fun factor) to send parts up and assemble, instead of just sending modules.

2 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

You are able to drop command parts, eg: probe cores or command pods in space or on the ground (assuming they are within weight and volume limits) or you can detach them from existing vessels and then drop them in space or on the ground. and then construct/attach other parts to them to create an entirely new/separate vessel.

And are they a real "new" vessel, or are they still as old as their parts?

Specifically, can we cheese "build a new x" type contracts by building a "new" vessel in space out of "old" parts?

10 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

Can you go vice-versa and attach small probe cores like the Probodobodyne QBE to spacecraft? Can you also attach small solar panels to a craft?

Finally, if you "drop" an item in space, will it, if said item is a probe core, become its own separate vehicle?

On 12/14/2020 at 8:19 PM, AeroSky said:

Can you go vice-versa and attach small probe cores like the Probodobodyne QBE to spacecraft? Can you also attach small solar panels to a craft?

Finally, if you "drop" an item in space, will it, if said item is a probe core, become its own separate vehicle?

Yes, yes, and yes.

9 hours ago, Souptime said:

Dont mean to be mean but will my questions be answered or is it too early to answer

On 12/8/2020 at 5:52 PM, Souptime said:

2 questions: 

1, will modded parts be able to be welded?

2,, if yu have multiple of the same parts will you be able to use symmetry? like radial and mirrored?

1) I'm not a dev, but I expect they'd have to do some serious work to forbid modded parts from being constructed, and there's no reason for them to not want that. So I'm guessing modded parts will be fine. Maybe - MAYBE - you'll have to use modulemanager to add a "canbeevaconstructed=true" to each part or something like that but I doubt it.

2) From the video, I see a "snap" control but no "symmetry" control. So I'd guess you have to do it manually and you won't get any of the benefits of symmetry. You may be able to grab copies of stuff and paste them like in the VAB, but I don't know. They don't show that in the video.

4 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

1) I'm not a dev, but I expect they'd have to do some serious work to forbid modded parts from being constructed, and there's no reason for them to not want that. So I'm guessing modded parts will be fine. Maybe - MAYBE - you'll have to use modulemanager to add a "canbeevaconstructed=true" to each part or something like that but I doubt it.

2) From the video, I see a "snap" control but no "symmetry" control. So I'd guess you have to do it manually and you won't get any of the benefits of symmetry. You may be able to grab copies of stuff and paste them like in the VAB, but I don't know. They don't show that in the video.

Very close on both counts. More details will be released when the time is right.

I'm definitely looking forward to playing with the new stock construction capabilities, and it sounds like it gives engineers new capabilities.  It also makes me wonder if EVA construction is limited to kerbals. If it isn't....

Robonaut+poster.jpg

.. though I envisioned it being called T.H.O.M.P.B.E.R.R.Y. after a character from @JustJim' Emiko saga... :)

2 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

I'm definitely looking forward to playing with the new stock construction capabilities, and it sounds like it gives engineers new capabilities.  It also makes me wonder if EVA construction is limited to kerbals. If it isn't....

<snip>

.. though I envisioned it being called T.H.O.M.P.B.E.R.R.Y. after a character from @JustJim' Emiko saga... :)

Maybe it is just me but I found the centaur version, and the person-on-a-stick version amusing.

2 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Unless the active vessel is an EVA kerbal and that kerbal has a new trait that is required. Then you are unable to enter EVA construction mode.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.