With KSP 1.11 around the corner, will KIS/KAS still be worth using?

Minmus Taster

KAS (Kerbal Attachment System) is not affected by the new update. This mod is a collection of parts to connect vessels in EVA. You can use it with or without inventories. So, I'm not going to deprecate KAS. Some updates would be needed to allow the parts for the stock inventory system, but it applies to all third-party parts.

KIS (Kerbal Inventory System) is another story. It's now a duplication of the stock inventory system (SIS :) ). However, there is no feature parity between the systems :( Here are features in KIS which I'd like to keep using:

1. Moving vessels around (with the mass limitation).
  2. Attaching/detaching a set of parts.
  3. Handling any parts and not only those that are explicitly allowed for the EVA.
  4. Large cargo parts with many slots and unlimited stack size.
  5. Carriable/equippable parts.
  6. Adjustable mass limits.

So, KIS cannot be retired at this moment, but indeed it should evolve. The idea for now is to use KIS functionality to access the stock inventory. Not sure if I'll do it in the old KIS though. The KISv2 concept is more similar and better suited for the stock system (some more details on patreon):

1.png?token-time=1610233933&token-hash=rxf0MYzwReJKhv3LPp09B2zXY6GuKlt3XEOC8G7sS0A%3D

1 minute ago, IgorZ said:

The idea for now is to use KIS functionality to access the stock inventory.

I like all the things in your post, but fusing KIS and Stock inventory I think I like the most :)

KIS would, if all these things became true, become an extension of the stock Inventory to allow those who want more to get more.

On 12/27/2020 at 12:19 AM, IgorZ said:

So, I'm not going to deprecate KAS

KIS cannot be retired at this moment, but indeed it should evolve

Oh yes, big relief, I was already afraid. Thank you very, very much! No way I could play like I want to without KIS/KAS.

On 11/25/2020 at 9:18 PM, The Aziz said:

KAS does provide some interesting features if I remember, like cables and such, but the question is if they're still that useful.

Yes!

Managing base without is asking for Krakens family.

There is more - with KIS/KAS You can disasemble bigger parts that stay in way to use 1.11.

So, KIS cannot be retired at this moment, but indeed it should evolve.

I cannot take up from the ground stuff that disasembled or droped with KIS/KAS. Is there anything to pick them up to inventory back?

Edited by vv3k70r

4 hours ago, vv3k70r said:

I cannot take up from the ground stuff that disasembled or droped with KIS/KAS. Is there anything to pick them up to inventory back?

Have you updated to the latest KIS? This issue should be fixed there. Just remember that it won't fix the parts that were already dropped. You would need to be put them into KIS inventory and then pull out again.

23 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

Have you updated to the latest KIS? This issue should be fixed there. Just remember that it won't fix the parts that were already dropped. You would need to be put them into KIS inventory and then pull out again.

Now it works - I installed it just before update. Thank You!

Edited by vv3k70r

• 4 months later...
19 hours ago, Caerfinon said:

Winches, Cables, Tow-bars -  all pretty integral for airlifting rovers around Kerbin in a MK3 cargo hold. EVA construction just not there yet. 

Yes I agree, although the winches never really worked properly (or in a useful way I mean) when I tried them.

16 minutes ago, FruitGoose said:

the winches never really worked properly

I primarily use them to carefully haul rovers up the cargo ramp into position in the airplane and then secure them with tow-bars for flight. In this respect they work very well.  

12 minutes ago, Caerfinon said:

I primarily use them to carefully haul rovers up the cargo ramp into position in the airplane and then secure them with tow-bars for flight. In this respect they work very well.  

Ah ok. I think I was trying to tow a plane up to space using another plane which resulted in the towed plane spinning uncontrollably before the cable snapped and the towed plane plummeted into the ocean. Doesn’t work well for that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.