What is the most useless thing in KSP?

TitiKSP

• 4 months later...
On 11/26/2020 at 6:28 PM, Entropian said:

The Not-Rockomax Micronode.

I use them a lot for my cranes. I use them to attach the hydraulic cylinders on the outriggers that go down to the cylinders that go out. 

I think one thing I have never used in KSP, not for rockets, planes, nor cranes, is the FM-1 "Mite" SRB. I'm sure it would be useful for certain things, but not for what I do.

A few including escape system, the big jet parts, the material bay, the place anywhere rcs port, the terrier/poodle/dawn/most jet engines, stayputnik, most of the aero parts, most of the robotic parts, the huge wheels. 

6 minutes ago, FruitGoose said:

A few including escape system, the big jet parts, the material bay, the place anywhere rcs port, the terrier/poodle/dawn/most jet engines, stayputnik, most of the aero parts, most of the robotic parts, the huge wheels. 

Excluding the LES and Stayputnik (or the Enkelsatellit as I renamed it to in my install), I've used those many times, so they're not all useless. Also the Terrier and Poodle are great engines, use them all the time.

13 hours ago, Ben J. Kerman said:

I think one thing I have never used in KSP, not for rockets, planes, nor cranes, is the FM-1 "Mite" SRB. I'm sure it would be useful for certain things, but not for what I do.

It seems to be intended as a cheap vacuum boost stage, but liquid stages have it beat in practically every metric.

3 minutes ago, OrdinaryKerman said:Also the Terrier and Poodle are great engines, use them all the time.

They used to be until they were messed with, now they’re both highly inefficient (sometimes 10% efficiency of others), low thrust travesties and the dual exhaust on the poodle is hideous as well (yes I know you can switch it but still).

Also I’ve just realised I misread the question and put parts I never use...

20 minutes ago, FruitGoose said:

now they’re both highly inefficient (sometimes 10% efficiency of others)

They have the highest vacuum iSPs for ingame LFO engines (345 seconds for Terrier, 350 seconds for Poodle), and that's always been their purpose, as vacuum engines. Have you been using them as sea-level engines?

20 minutes ago, FruitGoose said:

low thrust

IRL vacuum engines do too. Just use 2x physics warp to help the time pass faster

Edited by OrdinaryKerman

34 minutes ago, OrdinaryKerman said:

They have the highest vacuum iSPs for ingame LFO engines (345 seconds for Terrier, 350 seconds for Poodle), and that's always been their purpose, as vacuum engines. Have you been using them as sea-level engines?

IRL vacuum engines do too. Just use 2x physics warp to help the time pass faster

Haha no I haven’t....

Are you playing latest version? Before the revamp the terrier was the go to engine for smaller landers and the poodle for larger landers and shorter transfers. 

Now I find no use for them at all. 

I do use mainly Tantares engines now as well so that may be where the perceived huge gap is coming from, however the DLC engines (like Bobcat, Skiff etc) are ‘competitive’ so either all those are OP or they must have nerfed the Terrier and Poodle as they just can’t compete.

• 7 months later...
On 4/20/2021 at 2:13 PM, Guest said:

Ok we’ll have to agree to disagree instead ;)

Well, I use (almost everytime) two "Dawn", or even better, a "Weir" from Phoenix Industries Mod, coupled with a KAL-1000, a kOS processor, a command pod, a Xenon tank and some legs. I know it isn't very legit, but it works and it's not even a mod (I mean, for the effect, not the "Weir"). That's a stock feature of KSP.

On 4/20/2021 at 11:59 AM, Guest said:

Well, I use the robotic Hinges and Pistons (from stock KSP) and the straight rails (from JxFab Utility System) to maximize the room in my spaceplanes, I do something like this:     Spaceplaneprofilebase.png      I use robotics to move the upper Mk2 parts in the direction of the arrow. Then I have access to plenty of hidden stuff, on the blue sides. Also, the huge wheels are quite useful when you need to move enormous ships or spaceplanes, like the ones in the OPT spaceplane mod.

The aero parts allow you to build boxes and big structures, and moar wings, when the big jets are for Laythe or Kerbin Airlines, e.g. for a stratolauncher which uses jets to reach 15 km.

The place-anywhere RCS port can be used to provide an impulse, like when you go to Gilly without puffs nor LF or OX.

The material bays are quite useful for middle-game science storage, before you get the fabled Mk1 + Mk2 + Robotics I mentioned.

The terrier/poddle/dawn are nice in early- and middle-game, and when you need small engines for your base or interplanetary travel with high TwR.

And for the stayputnik and the LES, well… You can try to go to Minmus with that, but dont bet on it :P .

On 12/15/2021 at 10:32 PM, SSTO Crasher said:

Monoprop engines, no solid fuel, little thrust the least kerbal engine 

Yea, pretty useless, none of the RL limitations of bipropellent are modeled making monoprop engines fairly useless in comparison

On 12/15/2021 at 4:25 PM, Kerb24 said:

For me, plane parts. I can't make planes. I have no use for planes. I have never made a working plane. I am way better at non-atmospheric maneuvers.  

I would disagree with you, but you added the "For me" bit.

The M.E.M. is a bit of a niche part. Useless for most normal gameplay, but nice for replicas.

I think the MK25 paracute is useless. Its a drogue cute, but it is mounted on nodes.

The russian style command pods are useless, but nice for replicas.

Launch Escape Tower thing.

BLEH!!!... Who even needs it when we can make a better, faster, stronger, and powerful Launch Escape Tower with Cubic things, fuel tanks, etc.

Monopropellant Engines

I never used some of these, i instead used the RCS on my Spacecraft for little or Kerbal push-like maneuvers.

Oh, and Kerbals Too...

Just... don't ask why... k?

• 2 weeks later...

I just realized, I nominate the engine plates.

The engine plates only apparent function is to allow you to put a small engine in a large rocket without changing the size of the rocket, avoiding aerodinamic problems. Great! Very useful, actually.

Except that those damn things are so heavy, you may as well put in a bigger engine instead. They end up gaining nothing. It's not like you can get rid of them afterwards either.

On 11/26/2020 at 4:59 PM, king of nowhere said:

i nominate the large remote guidance unit.

it weights 0.5 tons. it does nothing that is not accomplished already by the small remote guidance unit and a reaction wheel, for a fraction of the mass and cost. if there is a reason to ever use it, i must yet find it.

the whole business is made worse by there being a high tier technology devoted uniquely to unlocking it, making it a further trap option.

BOOOOOOOO!!

It looks cool, has a nice aesthetic, and is pretty useful!

6 minutes ago, Newgame space program said:

I agree with the guy who made this post, you can plot a maneuver to another plant or moon without waiting for a transfer window!

*another PLANET or moon, (sorry about the mispell I am tired)

Kinda works that way IRL...

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.