What is the most useless thing in KSP?

TitiKSP

47 minutes ago, GKSP said:

That thing has saved me numerous times from an awkward bulkhead size transition.  Would you rather have one inline RGU or a tiny one and two 2.5m adapters on each end?  That's weaker structurally, takes up more vertical space, and looks bad on inline stacks.  Haven't been doing unmanned stuff recently, but with mods like FMRS, you can mount one of them on a first stage and then guide it back to Kerbin to recover after separation, SpaceX style.  A 1.25m RGU in a first stage, again, would look bad.

i would place the small rgu between two other 2.5 m pieces, attach the two pieces with struts, and clip the rgu. same visual effect, same - or even better - resistance, 300 kg of weight saved.

1 hour ago, king of nowhere said:

i would place the small rgu between two other 2.5 m pieces, attach the two pieces with struts, and clip the rgu. same visual effect, same - or even better - resistance, 300 kg of weight saved.

I see why you're doing that, I just don't like clipping when you really don't need to.  For example, I tried to make a F16 knockoff using the Airplane+ cockpit to use with BDA, and my only way to put a radar on there involved pretty much doing what you mentioned, because the radars are Mk.1 and the body is Mk. 2.  In fact, that inspired me to try to write a patch (unsuccessfully) to just integrate the radar directly into the cockpit.  When I use the offset tool to slide two parts together such as fuselages or wings, I also find myself spending waaaaaay too much time with that just to get that one pixel just right.

13 hours ago, GKSP said:

I see why you're doing that, I just don't like clipping when you really don't need to.

another option i could use is putting the small rgu inside a cargo bay. that, by itself, would increase weight, because the cargo bay alone is 0.5 tons. but the rgu only takes a very small part of the cargo bay, so if you already had stuff you wanted to put in a cargo bay, then it's a good compromise.

I also fit a mk1 rgu inside a mk2 cargo bay once.

Non-interactive monuments at KSC (two of them). And the pool.

They could run some show (holograms? fountains? colored lights?) or at least provide a drinking fountain of Kerbo-Cola.

The pool could have some fountain, too.

Edited by kerbiloid

8 hours ago, vv3k70r said:

TT18-A Launch Stability Enhancer is useless as far for me. It is hard to build rocket that fall in the game. There is no strong winds on Kerbin.

If you have 0-g systems you want to run a particular test on before they are in orbit, these can keep you stable.  They also have an alternator so you can run robotics or not drain power waiting for a launch window.

They also help prevent kraken attacks while time warping.

8 hours ago, vv3k70r said:

TT18-A Launch Stability Enhancer is useless as far for me. It is hard to build rocket that fall in the game. There is no strong winds on Kerbin.

if you angle your rocket in the VAB, you can make a rocket that perform a perfect gravity turn without touching the controls (except for sas, staging and throttle). if you do a superb job of it, it won't even need sas.

of course, if it is inclined in the launch pad, it needs a stabilizer.

also, i had some rockets based on the twin boar engine that were unstable enough to need it, even launching straight.

On 11/26/2020 at 6:28 PM, Entropian said:

The Not-Rockomax Micronode.  I can't even think of a single time I've used it.

same.

The most useless thing in ksp that hasn't been useless-ified by someone else is probably the Launch Escape System. unless you are bored/a masochist and refuse to revert your flights, this thing only complicates your flights and decreases dv. (it is pretty useful for saturn V replicas though)

1 hour ago, GKSP said:

If you have 0-g systems you want to run a particular test on before they are in orbit, these can keep you stable.  They also have an alternator so you can run robotics or not drain power waiting for a launch window.

They also help prevent kraken attacks while time warping.

It's also pretty weird to see a cluster of engines gimballing on the floor while supporting an entire rocket's mass.

On 11/26/2020 at 6:59 PM, king of nowhere said:

i nominate the large remote guidance unit.

it weights 0.5 tons. it does nothing that is not accomplished already by the small remote guidance unit and a reaction wheel, for a fraction of the mass and cost. if there is a reason to ever use it, i must yet find it.

the whole business is made worse by there being a high tier technology devoted uniquely to unlocking it, making it a further trap option.

The 2.5m probe core is actually super powerful but you won't easily notice in the stock system. If you put this, 2 kerbals (preferably pilots, I think) and a few RA-100 dishes together, you get a DSN hub/outpost and can control drones and probes over several comm hops without needing a comms link back to Kerbin.

If you like mods then you can add Science Relay, and setup this hub craft to be a science depot which can receive all transmittable science, which can then be transmitted or shipped in bulk back to Kerbin.

1 minute ago, adsii1970 said:

There is something at the pool. If I recall, in one of the prior versions, they added something interactive to it.

It's not even real water!  The only interactive thing is the frustration when you get a rover stuck in it during testing.

Just now, GKSP said:

It's not even real water!  The only interactive thing is the frustration when you get a rover stuck in it during testing.

The water on Kerbin isn't real water either. It is a lot better than it once was. In 0.22, it had all the splash of a concrete slab.

On 11/27/2020 at 2:03 AM, TitiKSP said:
On 11/26/2020 at 10:33 PM, Gargamel said:

How do you get anywhere then?   You really can't transfer to another planet without a transfer window. 

I transfered to Eve without it's transfer window.

You transferred to Eve... So you used a transfer window.

6 minutes ago, sturmhauke said:

Next you're gonna tell me the air isn't real air.

It's not perfect by any means.

But what we have now in 1.10 is a lot better than the old souposphere we once had. In fact, there was an essential mod for anyone who liked to fly aircraft. It was FAR. Ask some of the older forum members about how bad it was! :P 

13 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

But what we have now in 1.10 is a lot better than the old souposphere we once had. In fact, there was an essential mod for anyone who liked to fly aircraft. It was FAR. Ask some of the older forum members about how bad it was! :P 

Not an older forum member, but a KSP veteran.  Gotta back you up here - intake spamming, infiniwings, and other weird aero glitches were ridiculous while they were around.  Souposphere is a pretty good summary of what it was like.

On 11/27/2020 at 2:07 AM, Superfluous J said:

As far as most useless features, I'd say the entire "advanced" tab in the VAB, other than the subassembly area. I don't think I've ever used anything in that entire area except to see what it was all about. I'd use the resource filter except there's no way (that I know of) to filter for "LF only" when looking for tanks that don't have oxidizer. And I've never, ever cared if a part was made by Rockomax, Kerbodyne, or Jeb's Junkyard. if that entire thing went away and subassemblies was somewhere permanent on the screen, I'd never miss it.

I use this feature all the time when building mk 2 spaceplanes.

I have the mk 2 expansion mod so its nice to just see all the relevant parts, sense it allows you to filter by cross section.

1 hour ago, sturmhauke said:

Clearly you haven't tried to launch something stupidly large and draggy:

I would not even consider to send something like that. This is something to be asembled in orbit from smaller parts. Even if it take hundreds of launches.

Does it look conviniet to be send throu atmosphere? It works in Kerbal, but in the point we gonna build such stuff we are not about to send it from Earth, but rather manufacture from resources that do not have issue with extremaly gravity well and most agresive (oxidizing) atmosphere in a whole solar system.

Of course I like to watch how people sending such things and apriciate, but I would not consider to do this to Jeb.

1 hour ago, Dirkidirk said:

the Launch Escape System. unless you are bored/a masochist and refuse to revert your flights, this thing only complicates your flights

It could be intresting way of playing.

1 hour ago, GKSP said:

It must be a burocratic trap!

57 minutes ago, sturmhauke said:

Next you're gonna tell me the air isn't real air.

Did You seen Jeb taking something to breath, drink or eat for prolonged flight? So there are suspicion that only breathing things on Kerbin are jet engines.

1 hour ago, Entropian said:

Not an older forum member, but a KSP veteran.  Gotta back you up here - intake spamming, infiniwings, and other weird aero glitches were ridiculous while they were around.  Souposphere is a pretty good summary of what it was like.

was it even worse than the current magic wings made with thermal shields and "planes" that are a flat forward surface clipped on itself and somehow have no drag?

7 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

was it even worse than the current magic wings made with thermal shields and "planes" that are a flat forward surface clipped on itself and somehow have no drag?

How about the pretty much infinite g-limit for planes?  I expect serious structural integrity loss with 10+ G.  I had tried using FAR recently, and loved its drag and G-load model, but none of my existing planes could maneuver worth anything (and thats a lot of planes) so I dropped it.

1 hour ago, GKSP said:

How about the pretty much infinite g-limit for planes?  I expect serious structural integrity loss with 10+ G.

Go into Difficulty Settings -> Advanced at any time and turn on part G-force limits (right next to kerbal G-force limits and part pressure limits). You'll be a happy camper.  These are off by default because they're meant for use by players who like extra realism and extra hard mode like users of KCT, failure mods, RSS & RO...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.